unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-beta19 Available

What's up with SAMBA shares in this beta? I am using two VMs (win2012 - Win10) and have a downloads folder located on a SSD shared using 'unassigned devices' plugin.

If I download and save a file to the downloads folder I have to refresh explorer or close it/reopen it to see the file. I also have a very large (120GB) VHD file located on the same share that cannot be opened/mounted unless I first copy it to my C drive on my windows guest. What's going on?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up with SAMBA shares in this beta? I am using two VMs (win2012 - Win10) and have a downloads folder located on a SSD shared using 'unassigned devices' plugin.

If I download and save a file to the downloads folder I have to refresh explorer or close it/reopen it to see the file.

What's going on?

I have had this issue for years with WIN7 Windows Explorer and not just with my unRAID server files.  The problem doesn't always occur.  In my case, where I notice it the most is with downloaded files from the Internet.  Some times Windows Explorer will automatically update the display and some times it won't.  I have searched for an answer off-and-on over the years and never found a solution.  I have gotten to the point where I just hit the F5 key and update the display if the file I am looking for doesn't appear on the list. 

EDIT:  And I have the problem with files that are the local HD inside the Windows computer just the same as with the files on my servers.

If I download and save a file to the downloads folder I have to refresh explorer or close it/reopen it to see the file.

What's going on?

I have had this issue for years with WIN7 Windows Explorer and not just with my unRAID server files.  The problem doesn't always occur.  In my case, where I notice it the most is with downloaded files from the Internet.  Some times Windows Explorer will automatically update the display and some times it won't.  I have searched for an answer off-and-on over the years and never found a solution.  I have gotten to the point where I just hit the F5 key and update the display if the file I am looking for doesn't appear on the list. 

EDIT:  And I have the problem with files that are the local HD inside the Windows computer just the same as with the files on my servers.

For me this only started happening when updating to 6.2b19 and only on SAMBA shares. Local disk access to folders does not have any refresh / VHD access issues.

Since most of the posts in this thread have to do with problems and issues, I thought I would take a couple of moments and congratulated LT for a job in getting out the dual parity update which seems to be working without any major bugs in it.  I also wanted to provide a snapshot of its performance in a low cost, low CPU performance system. 

I upgraded on March 20th to 6.2b19 without any difficulties.  I checked with the single parity setup and everything worked fine (which was to be expected as in the single parity mode, it was almost a point release).  I had a spare 1TB drive available so I decided to test out the dual parity option.  I did that late in the afternoon shutting the server down and installed the drive in the HD using a previously installed hot-swap bay.  After powering up the server, I stopped the array and assigned the new drive to be Parity 2.  I started the array and the Parity rebuild started.  It took 2hr, 45m, 14s to finish and I had dual parity setup.  (Note that Parity 1 is 3TB drive and Parity 2 is a 1TB drive.  This will mean all new or replacement data drives will have to be 1Tb or smaller unless I also replace the Parity 2 drive with a larger one.) 

I did some data storage on the dual parity setup. (And now wish that I had done a benchmark while I still had 6.1.9 installed!)  But I still had my Media Server (Specs below) which is almost identical in configuration.  I used ImgBurn to generate an BluRay ISO (IMgBurn is really a very old CD burning program that I first used but in the days of 836 processors and Win 3.1 for Workgroups.  Back  then you could make a coaster few the screen saver activated!!!  Its code is very tight written and optimized.  It also waits until any and all data buffers have actually been written to disk before it 'says' it is finished.)  I copied the same file (~22GB) to both servers and these are the results.

Media Server        Time:  10:46   Ave 33,091KB/s  Max  119,592KB/s
Test Bed Server     Time:   7:20   Ave 48,584KB/s  Max  119,154KB/s

I ran a parity check (non-correcting) to see if that operation was impacted significantly by adding dual parity.  The last 6.1.9 check on this server took 7:51:03  and the dual parity check on this same server took 7:55:02.  (Remember, this time, it was doing 3TB not 1TB.)  So there was not what I would call a significant penalty in using dual parity check as opposed to its single parity alternative. 

I do have a question for LT technical people:

I am currently running dual parity on one of my servers.  If I wish to return to 6.1.9, can I copy my backup copy (of the my 6.1.9 Flash Drive) back to that Flash Drive, remove the second parity drive and reboot the system?  Or will I have to rebuilt the parity disk again?

...So weirdly i have nothing added to the log in 2 days after that last load of errors it shows so i can not see why it locked up. Any ideas?

Possibly your log space filled up. Next time it happens check Dashboard - System Status - flash : log : docker.

...So weirdly i have nothing added to the log in 2 days after that last load of errors it shows so i can not see why it locked up. Any ideas?

Possibly your log space filled up. Next time it happens check Dashboard - System Status - flash : log : docker.

Doesn't the log file have access to use the entire usb?

If so I'm running a 16gb usb and that was a 4 day old log :/

The log is stored in ram, and is initially capped at 128MB

What's going on?

For me this only started happening when updating to 6.2b19 and only on SAMBA shares. Local disk access to folders does not have any refresh / VHD access issues.

I've got the same problem as Frank1940 and Win7 to WHS v1 server as well as unRAID.  Had it BEFORE I even used unRAID so don't think it is an unRAID problem per say.  Anyway it could just appear more frequently when connecting to an unRAID server but I think it is a windows problem personally.

What's going on?

I've got the same problem as Frank1940 and Win7 to WHS v1 server as well as unRAID.  Had it BEFORE I even used unRAID so don't think it is an unRAID problem per say.  Anyway it could just appear more frequently when connecting to an unRAID server but I think it is a windows problem personally.

Pretty sure it's a SAMBA/UNRAID problem. Try mounting or even creating a VHD file and or ISO file on a SAMBA share and you will see it doesnt work.

The log is stored in ram, and is initially capped at 128MB

Ahh I wasnt aware of that. The log I posted was loaded around 2 minutes after boot so it shouldn't be anywhere near that large

The server didn't do too much during the time it didn't report logs. The worrying part is the system lockup again with no way to track it.

Can anyone think of a way to monitor the log more accurately on crash? I lose ssh access and everything else so I can't remote in to see what went wrong

hook up a monitor and keyboard then

tail -f /var/log/syslog > /boot/syslog.txt

Nothing will look like its happening on the screen, but the syslog will continually be written to the flash drive.

*Can't do it through putty / telnet unless you use screen because if you happen to close the window, the command will be terminated

What's going on?

Pretty sure it's a SAMBA/UNRAID problem. Try mounting or even creating a VHD file and or ISO file on a SAMBA share and you will see it doesnt work.

Just did it with Virtual CloneDrive...  Not to say that you don't have a problem but don't assume just because you have one that everyone else does also.

EDIT:  suggest you google 'windows 7 windows explorer not refreshing automatically'

I am having the following error during every boot, my best guess it is not beta19 specific but since I am on that version I post it here.

From what I can tell it has probably something to do with the Marvell 9128 controller configuration interface. Even with no SATA plugged on the controller the error is still there, when I disable it from the bios the error is gone.

Mar 22 22:13:33 Storm kernel: ata16.00: exception Emask 0x1 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0

Mar 22 22:13:33 Storm kernel: ata16.00: irq_stat 0x40000001

Mar 22 22:13:33 Storm kernel: ata16.00: cmd a0/01:00:00:00:01/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 1 dma 16640 in

Mar 22 22:13:33 Storm kernel:        opcode=0x12 12 01 00 00 ff 00res 50/00:02:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 Emask 0x1 (device error)

Mar 22 22:13:33 Storm kernel: ata16.00: status: { DRDY }

Safe to ignore?

storm-diagnostics-20160322-2221.zip

Just did it with Virtual CloneDrive...  Not to say that you don't have a problem but don't assume just because you have one that everyone else does also.

EDIT:  suggest you google 'windows 7 windows explorer not refreshing automatically'

You are right, the refreshing issue has nothing to do with the mounting stuff.

I also have it from time to time on the lokal disk of my work pc... not much to relate to 6.2 beta :D

So to be precise, his (and my) issue with 6.2 is probably the switch to Samba4+ or increasing the supported smb protokoll over 2.02.

Since then (~2013), there are issues if you mount VHDs trough windows directly, because they use a specific feature set, that does not work/is not there. It seems, that mounting ISOs in Win10 is also affected.

There were some patches to Win8/2012r2 and some to samba, but even today there are issues with smb3 in samba.

Win7 can't speak SMB3 and does not mount ISOs so its not affected and 3rd-Party-Tools probably won't check for specific features.

So, for those who simply "double click" a DVD/Bluray ISO-Image (one of the good additions in Win10) on unRAID and wait for Windows autostart to kick in, its an issue. And VHDs over SMB is a good way to utilize the array if an application can't/won't use shares, but insists on a "lokal disk". We have no iSCSI in unRAID after all.

It's an issue with a workaround, so it could be mentioned in the patch notes until a fix is released.

Hi Everyone,

Need a bit of help. After copying the files to a formatted USB , I right clicked make_bootable as Administrator, and when the terminal pops up and I press 'return', it seems to get stuck and never completes. I've tried different USB sticks, rebooted, and still doesn't want to complete the action.

Any ideas?

Thx very much!

Hi Everyone,

Need a bit of help. After copying the files to a formatted USB , I right clicked make_bootable as Administrator, and when the terminal pops up and I press 'return', it seems to get stuck and never completes. I've tried different USB sticks, rebooted, and still doesn't want to complete the action.

Any ideas?

Thx very much!

First, it requires two presses of the 'Return' key.  With the second one, the window should close at that point and you can eject the Flash Drive.  I just did it (again) a few days ago and nothing really appears to happen when the drive is being made bootable.  One thing to be sure of is that you are using the make_bootable file that is on your Flash Drive. 

You are right, the refreshing issue has nothing to do with the mounting stuff.

I also have it from time to time on the lokal disk of my work pc... not much to relate to 6.2 beta :D

So to be precise, his (and my) issue with 6.2 is probably the switch to Samba4+ or increasing the supported smb protokoll over 2.02.

Since then (~2013), there are issues if you mount VHDs trough windows directly, because they use a specific feature set, that does not work/is not there. It seems, that mounting ISOs in Win10 is also affected.

There were some patches to Win8/2012r2 and some to samba, but even today there are issues with smb3 in samba.

Win7 can't speak SMB3 and does not mount ISOs so its not affected and 3rd-Party-Tools probably won't check for specific features.

So, for those who simply "double click" a DVD/Bluray ISO-Image (one of the good additions in Win10) on unRAID and wait for Windows autostart to kick in, its an issue. And VHDs over SMB is a good way to utilize the array if an application can't/won't use shares, but insists on a "lokal disk". We have no iSCSI in unRAID after all.

It's an issue with a workaround, so it could be mentioned in the patch notes until a fix is released.

Have you tried the following command to switch to SMB1.0 on the windows box?

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $false

Got it from here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

Edit: not sure why you would want to do it from the Windows side instead of your workaround but I'm curious if it would work.

Have you tried the following command to switch to SMB1.0 on the windows box?

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $false

Got it from here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

Edit: not sure why you would want to do it from the Windows side instead of your workaround but I'm curious if it would work.

Client side makes sense, in a larger environment, where some clients/server need smb3 and others can't use it.

Haven't tried it, but I guess its good to mention, that there may be other workarounds.

I am having the following error during every boot, my best guess it is not beta19 specific but since I am on that version I post it here.

From what I can tell it has probably something to do with the Marvell 9128 controller configuration interface. Even with no SATA plugged on the controller the error is still there, when I disable it from the bios the error is gone.

Mar 22 22:13:33 Storm kernel: ata16.00: exception Emask 0x1 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0

Mar 22 22:13:33 Storm kernel: ata16.00: irq_stat 0x40000001

Mar 22 22:13:33 Storm kernel: ata16.00: cmd a0/01:00:00:00:01/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 1 dma 16640 in

Mar 22 22:13:33 Storm kernel:        opcode=0x12 12 01 00 00 ff 00res 50/00:02:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 Emask 0x1 (device error)

Mar 22 22:13:33 Storm kernel: ata16.00: status: { DRDY }

Safe to ignore?

Some Marvell controller create a virtual device that is the reason for these errors, I believe they are harmless, I got similar ones with a Marvell 9230 in v6.1

Sep 20 07:09:59 Testv6 kernel: ata14.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
Sep 20 07:09:59 Testv6 kernel: ata14.00: irq_stat 0x40000001
Sep 20 07:09:59 Testv6 kernel: ata14.00: cmd a0/01:00:00:00:01/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 2 dma 16640 in
Sep 20 07:09:59 Testv6 kernel:         opcode=0x12 12 01 00 00 ff 00res 00/00:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x3 (HSM violation)
Sep 20 07:09:59 Testv6 kernel: ata14: hard resetting link
Sep 20 07:09:59 Testv6 kernel: ata14: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
Sep 20 07:09:59 Testv6 kernel: ata14.00: configured for UDMA/66
Sep 20 07:09:59 Testv6 kernel: ata14: EH complete

I am currently running dual parity on one of my servers.  If I wish to return to 6.1.9, can I copy my backup copy (of the my 6.1.9 Flash Drive) back to that Flash Drive, remove the second parity drive and reboot the system?  Or will I have to rebuilt the parity disk again?

I'd wait for LT confirmation but while testing I've gone from v6.2-beta with dual parity to v6.1.9 by just copying bzroot and bzimage, after rebooting array is valid with single parity and parity check completed without any sync errors, parity2 disk stays unassigned.

What's going on?

I'm running a W10 guest VM and laptop and the issue exists on both. Look, when running UNRAID 6.1.9, SAMBA shares were auto refreshing absolutely fine, downloading a file from the net on either a windows 7 or windows 10 vm and/or laptop straight to the SAMBA share kicked off an auto-refresh in explorer on every machine.

Now, I upgrade to 6.2b19 and there is no auto refresh of the SAMBA share on any of my windows pc's. Nothing else has changed in my environment except the upgrade to 6.2b19.

It's annoying because my media center software does not detect new files when moved to dir it monitors.

I'd wait for LT confirmation but while testing I've gone from v6.2-beta with dual parity to v6.1.9 by just copying bzroot and bzimage, after rebooting array is valid with single parity and parity check completed without any sync errors, parity2 disk stays unassigned.

Thanks.  Your tests indicate what I suspect but I (as perhaps you are) was hoping that LT would confirm that this was true.  For the time being, I will simply leave the Test Bed Server running 6.2 beta and hope I don't lose a drive.  (If I do, I may be looking for the proper way to do a parity 2/data swap.)  I am not convince at this point that dual parity is truly that beneficial for arrays with a small number (say eight) of data drives.