UPS for unRAID

Bjonness406

What are the differnce between APC Back-UPS 1400VA and APC Back-UPS Pro 900?

I am choosing between one of them, and the APC Back-UPS 950VA.

Any one of the three will work with your setup.  The 1400VAS unit will supply 700W/1400VA to the load while the 900 and 950 units will only deliver approximately 480W/900Va to the load. The electronics in the 1400 are beefed-up to be able to deliver this increased power and the battery is much larger (and more expensive to replace when it wears out).  I, personally, think the 1400 is over-kill for your situation unless you can get a really good price on it (equal to or less than the other two).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The APC Back-UPS 950 is 125 dollars, the APC Back-UPS 1400 is 195 dollars and the APC Back-UPS Pro 900 is 220 dollars here.

The Back-UPS 950 is able to keep a 250W machine running in 8 minuttes, and the 1400 and Pro 950 can both keep 250W load for 18 minuttes.

The battery on both Back-UPS 950 (APC #17) and 1400 (APC #113) cost the same (60 dollars), and the battery for the Back-UPS Pro 950 cost 80 dollars.

I am leaning towards the Back-UPS 1400, or 950 models, but I wonder. What are the difference between Back-UPS and Back-UPS Pro?

... What are the difference between Back-UPS and Back-UPS Pro?

It's not entirely consistent, as there are a few of the Back-UPS models that have AVR, but in general the Pro models all have AVR and used to have a better inverter that had more "steps" in the simulated sine wave output  [Note that none of these have true sine wave outputs ... you need a Smart UPS model for that, which is far more expensive.    If you want true sine wave output the least expensive option is from CyberPower.]

Can I monitor battery % and expected runtime from unRAID with APC Back-UPS 950 and 1400?

Well, the monitoring software used in unRAID (apcupsd) was written by APC and if these UPS's aren't fully supported, I would be very surprised.

EDIT: To correct clumsy fingers --- ...  "and if these UPS's"  ... was ... "and it these UPS's" ...

Can I monitor battery % and expected runtime from unRAID with APC Back-UPS 950 and 1400?

Well, the monitoring software used in unRAID (apcupsd) was written by APC and it these UPS's aren't fully supported, I would be very surprised.

So I can't use the feature then battery time left reaches 5 min that it turn off?

Does the Back-UPS Pro models support this with unRAID?

Well, the monitoring software used in unRAID (apcupsd) was written by APC and it these UPS's aren't fully supported, I would be very surprised.

So I can't use the feature then battery time left reaches 5 min that it turn off?

I think you must have misinterpreted his response. Should work fine with any of those.

Does anyone know if the Cyberpower pfclcd line is supported by unRAID?

Should be supported since nut 2.7.1 (http://networkupstools.org/ddl/Cyber_Power_Systems/CP1500PFCLCD.html)

So should be supported with my plugin (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42375.0)

- Will update (Ambrotos) snmp settings under the holidays for the plugin, also nut 2.7.4 is released so gonna check if I get the time to build it.

I think you must have misinterpreted his response. Should work fine with any of those.

Yes I did, I was a bit tired last night  :P

Just ordered a APC Back-UPS 950, hoping that will work well. Thanks for your help guys :)

• 2 weeks later...

Up and running now :D

width=200http://i.imgur.com/BkrzVLY.png[/img]

Just wondering, what happends if I press the power button on the ups when the server is on? Will it shutdown or just cut the power to my NAS?

What is that horrible bookmark to the right of the TV 2 bookmark?  ;)

I think the Ups will most likely go to bypass, but just test it with your server off first.

Oh, that boomark, it is nothing special. Just the homepage for the best team in the world  ;);D

Okey, I tried it with a lamp, and it just cut the power. Kind of dumb to just cut the power, oh well.

I don't think it will make a difference if the server is on? Just thinking maybe the APC deamon would tell the server to shutdown first, but probably not.

Did you have the lamp plugged into a 'backup' outlet though cos i'd have expected it to stay on if you did. Pointless test otherwise and if you had your server plugged into the same socket you would just have killed it.  Possible you just plugged into a 'surge' outlet by mistake??

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Did you have the lamp plugged into a 'backup' outlet though cos i'd have expected it to stay on if you did. Pointless test otherwise and if you had your server plugged into the same socket you would just have killed it.  Possible you just plugged into a 'surge' outlet by mistake??

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

There are only backup + surge outlets on my unit.

Then I press the power button on the UPS, it just cuts the power.

Just wondering, what happends if I press the power button on the ups when the server is on? Will it shutdown or just cut the power to my NAS?

I think the Ups will most likely go to bypass, but just test it with your server off first.

Oh, that boomark, it is nothing special. Just the homepage for the best team in the world  ;);D

Sure  ;D

As ljm said, the best way to test the ups is to pull the plug.

Sure  ;D

As ljm said, the best way to test the ups is to pull the plug.

Hehe ;)

I have unplugged the UPS and it works fine then, shutdown after 60 seconds like it should.

Ï was just wondering what would happend if I did press the power button on the ups when the server was up and running.

I am using the Back-UPS ES 550 no issues.  I have both the URaid server and my desktop and small switch plugged into the battery side.  since the UPS can only be plugged into one machine, is there a way for me to have the PC shut down as well, in the event that service power goes out and things go to Battery?

Ï was just wondering what would happend if I did press the power button on the ups when the server was up and running.

You do NOT want to do that -- it will simply shut off power to the PC without doing a graceful shutdown.  You can unplug the UPS to simulate a power failure; or you can press the power button on the server to initiate a clean shutdown => but turning off the UPS is equivalent to unplugging the PC from the UPS.

I am using the Back-UPS ES 550 no issues.  I have both the URaid server and my desktop and small switch plugged into the battery side.  since the UPS can only be plugged into one machine, is there a way for me to have the PC shut down as well, in the event that service power goes out and things go to Battery?

OK, I seem to recall that other folks have got this to work.  I assume that you have to have a working Ethernet link so both computers will have to be connected to the backup-protected switch.  Beyond that, I can't remember the details of how to get it working.

To find out more details, you might try searching this section of the forum for those threads that discussed it.  Second, You could also go up to the APC website and find the Tech manual for apcupsd as they wrote the software.  Third, google for the solution.  Fourth, while you have 'hijacked' this thread (and not gotten any responses), you could start a new thread and ask your question.  I would bet that get you an answer much quicker than waiting for someone to accidentally find your post in this thread!

OK, I seem to recall that other folks have got this to work.  I assume that you have to have a working Ethernet link so both computers will have to be connected to the backup-protected switch.  Beyond that, I can't remember the details of how to get it working.

To find out more details, you might try searching this section of the forum for those threads that discussed it.  Second, You could also go up to the APC website and find the Tech manual for apcupsd as they wrote the software.  Third, google for the solution.  Fourth, while you have 'hijacked' this thread (and not gotten any responses), you could start a new thread and ask your question.  I would bet that get you an answer much quicker than waiting for someone to accidentally find your post in this thread!

Actually you can't connect two PCs to the UPS.    What you CAN do is use UPS control software that can communicate with another instance on a different PC and cause a shutdown.    I don't believe APC's software for the inexpensive Back-UPS units support this; but there may be some 3rd party software that supports this -- but I'm not familiar with it.    Personally, I never connect multiple PCs to the same UPS -- I simply have a UPS for every PC.

This is what I do. 

I have my main unRAID server connected to the UPS since that it powered up all of the time.  That runs APCUPSD as master.  Other devices can also share the power outlets from the UPS, and they also run APCUPSD (or the version built into unRAID 6).  I have at different times done this with my backup server and also with a Windows machine which also runs APCUPSD.  They are connected to the network switch / router and the software in each systems is told that it is connected via Ethernet as a slave, and it is directed to the master by IP address and port number.  THe attached image shows typical settings for the slave device.  An important point the ensure is that the system acting as master is the one that shuts down the UPS but it must remain powered for longer than any of the slaves.  The switch or router must also be powered by the UPS for this to work correctly.

APCUPSD_slave.jpg.eda8ec1c96aa195ec24b6e8514e1e3ae.jpg