unRaid Beta Question / Auto Created Shares Question

When starting the array with at least one cache device, a share called "system" will be automatically created.  Inside, two subfolders will be created (docker and libvirt respectively).  Each of these folders will contain a loopback image file for each service.

New user here... I've unRAID setup and it's running great. Pretty easy!

I'm starting to set up VM/s, Docker with the associated User Shares... I'm not using the beta. I am on version 6.1.9, but I want to setup my shares to match the auto created share structure in 6.2. I'm certain I have the shares set up correctly but I can not figure out from reading this forum thread of what exactly would be saved to the libvirt folder in the system share. My best guess would be the virtio drivers for Windows... but I'm hoping someone can clue me in on what exactly this folder will be used for so I can setup to match the default setup of 6.2.

When starting the array with at least one cache device, a share called "system" will be automatically created.  Inside, two subfolders will be created (docker and libvirt respectively).  Each of these folders will contain a loopback image file for each service.

New user here... I've unRAID setup and it's running great. Pretty easy!

I'm starting to set up VM/s, Docker with the associated User Shares... I'm not using the beta. I am on version 6.1.9, but I want to setup my shares to match the auto created share structure in 6.2. I'm certain I have the shares set up correctly but I can not figure out from reading this forum thread of what exactly would be saved to the libvirt folder in the system share. My best guess would be the virtio drivers for Windows... but I'm hoping someone can clue me in on what exactly this folder will be used for so I can setup to match the default setup of 6.2.

I know that the libvirt image (that holds all the VM related configuration files) is stored there rather than under the VM Manager plugin area.    As far as I know you cannot successfully use the 6.2 structure with 6.1.9 as VM Manager makes different assumption about file locations between the two releases.
  • 1 month later...

I'm confused about the presence of the 'system' share that is automatically created with unRAID 6.2 beta.  I've built a test system with scrapped together parts - my cache array is 3x 32GB ssd's - and the system share reduces the original cache pool size down to 48GB.  This is annoying as I don't seem to be able to get rid of this 'system' share - I can't delete it through the webGUI since it isn't empty and when I delete it manually through a telnet session it automatically regenerates.  Can anyone help me understand the function of this 'system' share and if it's possible to get rid of it if I don't want it?  I'm basically trying unRAID out by setting up 1-2 Windows 10 VM's to see if this could be viable replacement for separate discrete PC's, and I'm following the setup guide from LinusTechTips here:

As was mentioned the system share has nothing to do with this!  The point is that the default for a cache pool is BTRFS RAID-1 variant where all data is held on at least two devices which gives resilience to the cache.

It is possible to set the cache pool up to use RAID-0 instead so that all the space becomes available (at the loss of resilience) but at the moment manual intervention is required to achieve this.