Share Started Using Cache Drive, Has Free Space

So I just just rebuilt my laptop and mapped 2 drives to shares on my Unraid server, "TV Shows" and "Movies". Both shares are set exactly the same, aside from the split level, yet the TV Shows share shows as 1TB larger. Both shares use the same disks, so they should have the same free space.

mapped.png

Poking around, I found that a TV Shows folder has been created on the cache drive (1TB) and all my new shows are listed there as well as in their proper place in the TV Shows share. If I delete the file from the cache drive, it gets deleted from within the share as well, like they're linked. However, when the tbn and nfo files are created for each episode, they only show up in the share and not on the cache drive.

Movies share: Disks 1-5, split level 2, no cache.

movies.png

TV Shows share: Disks 1-5, split level 3, no cache

tv.png

I have at least 150G free on each drive. (Not a lot, I know, but more than enough to hold a season of TV shows.)

Drives:

free%20space.png

According to sabnzbd's log, the files are being copied to the correct location via the sickbeard script:

Moving file from /mnt/user/apps/sabnzbd/Downloads/complete/filename.mkv to /mnt/user/TV Shows/Show Name/Season #/filename.mkv.

If I copy a file manually to the share via Midnight Commander, it does not appear on the cache drive, only in the share I copied the file to.

I was about to upgrade the server, but I'd really like to get this resolved first. Help!!  :)

With Use Cache Disk set to No then unRAID will not create files copied to a User share to the cache disk, but if a folder exists corresponding to a share it WILL include it in the share listings .  Also, with the Use Cache Disk set to No any such files are not moved to the main array when mover runs.  There is nothing to stop a program or a user manually creating files on the cache disk that will be part of the User Share,.  I suspect therefore that everything is working exactly as it is designed to work.

Perhaps you need to work out why the files ended up on the cache disk in the first place?  You also might want to consider whether the Use Cache Disk=No setting is correct for what you are trying to achieve?

Perhaps you need to work out why the files ended up on the cache disk in the first place?

Yes, I know I need to find out why, that's why I posted this problem. I was hoping to get some ideas as to what might be causing it.  :)

...but if a folder exists corresponding to a share it WILL include it in the share listings ."

And there we go! Somebody here must have made a folder with that name, for whatever reason. I renamed the folder and moved the data to its proper place. Everything's back to normal. Thanks!

I'm having this exact same problem, and I mean EXACT!

I have two user shares, Movies and TV Shows, and in both of those shares I have the option "Use cache disk = No". 

On my cache disk I have two folders, Apps and Completed Downloads.  It has been this way for years now.

I recently noticed my cache drive now has four folders, Apps, Completed Downloads, Movies and TV Shows.  The Movies and TV Shows are newly created.  In fact, when I first noticed them a couple of days ago I deleted them only to find they were recreated again as soon as a new movie download was completed. 

I have always had it set to not use the cache drive.  My server has been up and running for years now, first time I'm seeing this problem. I never noticed it until a few days ago.  What made me realize it was SABnzbd quit downloading saying there wasn't enough free space and I had to start investigating what was taking up all the space.  I had 40+ movies downloaded onto the cache drive and many TV episodes.  It's hard for me to say when this all started since I didn't notice it right away.  About two months ago I switched from unRaid 5 to v6 and started using Dockers so I suspect that's when this started.  I'm using SABnzbd, Couchpotato, and Sickrage.  My guess is that one of these (probably Couchpotato and Sickrage) are creating the shares on the cache drive.

About two months ago I switched from unRaid 5 to v6 and started using Dockers so I suspect that's when this started.  I'm using SABnzbd, Couchpotato, and Sickrage.  My guess is that one of these (probably Couchpotato and Sickrage) are creating the shares on the cache drive.

In earlier releases of unRAID the mover ignored the cache disk setting if the folder existed on both the Cache disk and the array data disks and always moved the files from the Cache to the data disks.  In recent releases if the Use Cache option is set to "No" such files are no longer moved, and are left on the Cache disk and are treated as part of the share for read purposes.  Therefore if the files are being created by an app (that by-passes the normal User allocation logic) the files are now left on the cache disk unless the use Cache Disk option is set to Yes so that mover when it runs moves the files from the cache disk to the data disks.

How are these folders being created?  If the app(s) concerned is configured so that it does not realise that the source and target are on the same file system then a "Copy" command is likely to be used instead of a "move" and that will stop the files being created on the cache drive in the first place

Paths are correct, double checked that already.

itimpi, when you say mover, are you referring to unRaids mover or Couchpotato/Sickragemover?  I don't use the unRaid mover, have always let Couchpotato and Sickragehandle it.  Not sure if it makes a difference though.

Also, I've gone through the logs of Couchpotato, Sickrage, and unRaid and I don't see anywhere that a new folder has been created on the cache drive.  Attached is my unRaid log.  A new TV Show folder has been created on the cache drive within the past hour but I don't see it in the logs.

tower-syslog-20160327-1444.zip

Paths are correct, double checked that already.

itimpi, when you say mover, are you referring to unRaids mover or Couchpotato/Sickragemover?  I don't use the unRaid mover, have always let Couchpotato and Sickragehandle it.  Not sure if it makes a difference though.

i was talking about the unRAID mover.  I think the problem could be the app mover combined with the change to the way the unRAID mover handles shares when they are set to not use the cache. 

Also, I've gone through the logs of Couchpotato, Sickrage, and unRaid and I don't see anywhere that a new folder has been created on the cache drive.  Attached is my unRaid log.  A new TV Show folder has been created on the cache drive within the past hour but I don't see it in the logs.

i would never expect to see anything in the unRAID logs when a folder is created.