Solved - How best to get rid of the dreaded red x.

Had an old 128GB SSD laying around.  Thought to try using is a cache drive.  Slipped it into slot #20 AND ASSIGNED IT TO THAT DISC NUMBER (bad, I know).  I formatted it.  I then assigned it my cache drive.    Couldn't seem to assign it as my cache drive.  Decided to give up, for now

Remove the drive and now have the red x saying drive missing. 

*** I would like to figure out how to put the cache drive in that slot or I will put a 3TB drive in that slot to use in the array when my current drive fills (which is soon). ***

What is the best / easiest way to get rid of my red x - drive is missing.  I did notice the big thread of having to reset all drives (paraphrase) and that seems like overkill / way to hard for me to do.

Hellllllp.

Restore the backup of your Flash Drive that you make before you installed the SSD.  (You did make a backup, didn't you?    ::)  )

In any case, you will have to rebuilt parity as the formatting of the 'cache' drive will have changed the info on the parity drive which if you just remove the SSD will now cause the parity to be invalid!!! 

Lots of info around here about how to shrink your array (which is basically what the OP wants), but what I would do rather than muck about with everything is just do a new config and rebuild parity.

(take a screenshot of your drive assignments before you do this so you can reassign them correctly)

You say that you can pop a 3tb in when you're ready (soon).  Trouble is that (assuming you're pre 6.2) is that your array is effectively unprotected until that happens because you're already down a drive.

to rebuild only one drive do I use the check box at the bottom of the main page to reformat (or something like that).  Will do tonight.

Whatever you do, do not select an option to format the disk.  That will write a new empty file system to the disk effectively wiping all the existing data from it (unless that is what you WANT to do).

to rebuild only one drive do I use the check box at the bottom of the main page to reformat (or something like that).  Will do tonight.

Formatting is NEVER part of the rebuild process.

What format actually means is, write an empty filesystem to this disk. That is what it has always meant in every OS you have ever used.

When you format a disk in unRAID, it treats the write that creates the empty filesystem just like it treats any other write, by updating parity. Then when you rebuild, you will rebuild an empty filesystem. Probably not what you wanted. ;)

There is nothing on the small SSD that was meant to be the cache drive.  I was simply thinking formating my 'straighten out' my lack of valid parity quicker.

I think I understand, though, now.  I have added a few files to the array since all this happened and parity was not written to (hence the faster speed it wrote to the box).

I will run a parity check and enable 'write / correct any problems' (can't remember what the check box actually says off-hand).  Then upgrade the SSD to a large capacity drive, then add a cache drive without mounting it through the array.

If this looks good I will mark solved.

WAIT - I saw this in another thread.  Why can't I just do the same - plop the new 3TB drive in and hit rebuild??? 

I just recently did this to replace a 3TB with a 6TB drive.

You don't need to clear off the contents. Just stop the array, remove the 2TB from the array list, and start the array again. It will show the drive as missing. Stop the array, then put the 4TB drive into the missing slot and let UnRAID rebuild the drive with all of it's contents. This also gives you a backup of your data as it's still sitting on the 2TB drive you removed in the event of an issue.

Confused as hell.  Yikes.

...Why can't I just do the same - plop the new 3TB drive in and hit rebuild??? 

You can.

You don't really even need to do all that stopping and starting. Just shutdown, replace the drive, boot up, assign the new drive to the slot the old drive was in, and start will begin rebuild.

So, in order to mark this as solved:

Put in new 3TB drive in SSD missing slot. 

Format new drive (or can preclear) and mount.

Run parity check and allow to correct errors (since I wrote a few files to another disc while unprotected).

This should get me back up and running and with a new fresh drive waiting in the wings.

So, in order to mark this as solved:

Put in new 3TB drive in SSD missing slot. 

Format new drive (or can preclear) and mount.

Run parity check and allow to correct errors (since I wrote a few files to another disc while unprotected).

This should get me back up and running and with a new fresh drive waiting in the wings.

No. Just do what I said.

shutdown

replace the drive

boot up

assign the new drive to the slot the old drive was in

start will begin rebuild

No formatting, no preclearing, no mounting. Yes parity check but shouldn't need to correct.