Folders missing from SMB shares. Can see them fine via AFP and web gui

I've been migrating my content from two separate v5 Unraid servers to a new v6 server. Most of the data is now copied to the v6 machine but I cant see most of my content via SMB and its driving me nuts. I used rsync to copy the data from the old servers to the new.

I have the following structure currently spread across 2 8TB disks

/mnt/user/Media/Movies

/mnt/user/Media/TV

If I open a connection to the server via SMB on OSX 10.11.3 I only see 275 folders in the Movies directory in Finder. If I open a terminal in OSX and goto /Volumes/Media/Movies and do a ls | wc -l I get 236 folders back.

If I connect via AFP or open a browser to the unraid GUI and browse the share I can see all 1752 folders in the Movies share and I can pick one that does not appear on the SMB share and read the contents of any file in the directory without issue.

I have the share set to Public permissions, I've tried running new_permissions tool, I've restarted both the server and client.

What the hell is going on? Could it be issues with UTF-8 characters in some of the filenames that the rsync copy has broken? Any other ideas?

To answer my own question I found a couple of files that the filename encoding had got really screwed. Once I managed to fix them the folders started appearing in SMB shares. I'm still not sure where and when the few filenames got badly encoded but at least its working now.