ASRock server board (EP2C602 versions and any other with IPMI) and CPU Temp

So this has been an ongoing irritation for me. Every day now, I get an email that my cpu temp has gone to 101C. Shortly after (Since I installed a beta bios), I get emailed again that it has returned to normal. Before the beta bios, it would not return back to normal.

A few other users in the e5-2670 thread in the Good Deals section have also stated they see this behavior. Though it is better now that it fixes itself, it is still irritating.

You may need to have the IPMI plugin installed to receive the notifications (Otherwise, it may be happening and you just don't know it).

Please let me know what model board you have, what bios version, how many sockets, and how many populated sockets.

I'd love to be able to identify if this is an isolated issue, or if it is more widespread.

My info:

Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16

Sockets: 2

Populated: 2

Bios: BMC firmware 0.13.9 and BIOS P1.89E

• 9 months later...

Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16

Sockets: 2

Populated: 2 x E5-2670

Bios: BMC firmware 0.18.0 and BIOS P1.80

I'm experiencing the same. The replacement(RMA) I've received from ASRock for that issue, because they couldn't repair it, has exactly the same issue. :o

And I'm suspecting a miscalculation/detection issue in the BMC firmware

• Upvote 1

And I'm suspecting a miscalculation/detection issue in the BMC firmware

Agreed. Definitely a bug. Not a showstopper, but definitely an irritant. I never bothered RMAing mine, as everything else on the board is working well. I think our only choice if we have notifications set up is either just ignore the emails, or manually adjust the threshold in the BMC firmware to 102 degrees for that chip.

As it seems to be a motherboard issue, I'm hoping that if the chip ever does suffer a real over heating incident, the protection built into the chip itself will throttle things down.

• 2 weeks later...

@DoeBoye

I've tested with other threshold values and guess what:

First I changed the value to 102, during 14 hours I received only one event:

ihtzE4C.jpg

Never experienced a value above 101 before. Plus the case and cpu fans are spinning on max speed. Only a reboot returned the fans to normal speed.

A few hours later, the bmc changed the threshold values, back to the factory defaults, by itself.

I changed the value to 140, resulting....  :o

rDe6IHQ.jpg

I fear it's more complicated than just changing the threshold values.

@DoeBoye

I've tested with other threshold values and guess what:

First I changed the value to 102, during 14 hours I received only one event:

ihtzE4C.jpg

Never experienced a value above 101 before. Plus the case and cpu fans are spinning on max speed. Only a reboot returned the fans to normal speed.

A few hours later, the bmc changed the threshold values, back to the factory defaults, by itself.

I changed the value to 140, resulting....  :o

rDe6IHQ.jpg

I fear it's more complicated than just changing the threshold values.

Weird! Since I changed my threshold value to 102, I haven't received any new notifications. That said, I assume if it is happening to you, it will probably happen to the rest of us... >:(

Thanks for posting. I'm really not sure what our options are for this. From the stories of people RMAing for this issue (other sites have also documented this issue) and receiving a board with the same problem, it sounds to me like it is unrepairable...

Also, a new foible I have discovered (and has been documented on the web) with this motherboard:

If you set the CPU Fans to Smart, and the case fans to something other than Max, after about a week or so, they will both jack themselves up to max speed, and only a reboot seems to solve it...

Sounds like what @SpiderTke just experienced as well...

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just posting to see if anyone has figured out a solution to this.

I keep check asRock's site to see if they post a new bios/BMC, but so far nothing.

I'm still running with a threshold of 102 degrees, and it seems to work well. That said, I had a crash the other day, and it somehow reset itself, and I must have gotten 50 emails in one day regarding the temp. Re-setting the 102 degrees via the IPMI plugin (and selecting "enable on reboot" in the tool), has once again eliminated the emails (for now)

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, antindragonslayer said:

Also, this problem makes the CPU fans spin up to max. They won't slow down unless I reboot. 

Nope. Once the emails start coming, the fans spin up to max (cpu and case), and only a reboot seems to clear it up. I actually emailed asRock a couple of days ago to see if they have any sort of resolution, but I haven't heard back yet. It's a bit annoying that they have a production board that has obvious flaws. An RMA won't fix it either, as the replacement (unless it has been updated) will have the same issue.

16 minutes ago, antindragonslayer said:

That sucks. At least they answer you. I wrote to Asrock Rack support about this issue (November) and I'm still waiting for response..

I hope they will find a solution that works. 

Odd. I've contacted them twice, and they have responded within a day both times. I would send them another email. Your last one may have got 'lost in the system'

So a bit of an update. Let me start by saying the support has been excellent! Prompt responses, with actual information rather than canned "supportese".

So it looks like they are going to see if they can make us a custom bios to address this issue. See quote below:

I will bring this up to the BIOS engineering team to see if they could come up with a special BIOS to tackle this.

Promising! Hopefully a bios tweak is all it will take!...

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I was having the same problems and the Asrock Tech asked to send in the motherboard and they investigated and try to replicate the problem.  After they witnessed same problem; their solution was to send me a new Motherboard since it was still under warranty. Good news is the new Motherboard isn’t showing any temp spikes or CPU De-assertions. Everything is working normally for now. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by deaerator