[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

Hoping to get this working for a speed increase from deluge... currently capped at 1.2-1.3 MB/s in deluge, internet is 100mbps and speed tests show full speed...

Anyways, I got it all setup but when i navigate to the webui on port 9080 i get the webui but it says no connection to rtorrent yet and never connects.

the docker log has this:

2016-04-08 17:24:42,141 DEBG 'webui-script' stderr output:
2016/04/08 17:24:42 [error] 636#0: *4 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'be' (T_STRING), expecting ')' in /etc/webapps/rutorrent/conf/config.php on line 44" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.123, server: localhost, request: "GET /php/getplugins.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:7777", host: "192.168.1.2:9080", referrer: "http://192.168.1.2:9080/"

binhex, did you accidentally fat finger something??? 8)

Bad regex, will fix this today, watch out for an update

Thanks man. I will do a back to back comparison of speed using PIA for these two programs and report back.

Hey, since we couldn't write to /var/log/nginx I created a folder for it on the host (chowned to 1005:1000) and added the following adding the following to my docker run command to see what would happen:

-v /docker/rutorrent/log:/var/log/nginx \

With this it went further than before and the webui comes up but still not starting rtorrent correctly. Log included, maybe it can help. I'll likely be migrating to unRAID soon anyway.

Thanks.

supervisord.log.txt

Just playing a little more, has anyone been able to get sickrage to talk to rtorrent? I have the same settings in couchpotato and it is working, but sickrage gives me "Error: Unable to connect to rTorrent". I would rather not go back to blackhole if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Wob

I forget the excatly how but you need to add "rcp2" to the end. *I think* something like this: No user name or password is needed. You may need to change it to http: at the beginning though  ???

scgi://localhost:5000/rpc2

Just tried it on unRAID 6.2 b21 using default PID/GID. The UI loads but can't talk to rtorrent. Log attached.

Same result on OVM when forcing root.

Same error here on 6.1.9.

Tried changing network type from bridge to host, not tower completely inaccessible.

Just tried it on unRAID 6.2 b21 using default PID/GID. The UI loads but can't talk to rtorrent. Log attached.

Same result on OVM when forcing root.

Same error here on 6.1.9.

Tried changing network type from bridge to host, not tower completely inaccessible.

sorry guys, another regex issue with sed and this time the diskspace plugin, i did test this but it looks like the plugin i tested had already been slightly modified and thus passed the test :-(. in any case this is now fixed.

just a word of warning, as youve found out mr-hexen switching to host mode for the network type is a bad idea, especially for this docker, reason being is i am modifying iptables and creating a virtual adapter for the tunnel, if you switch from bridged (correct mode) to host only then you run the risk of iptable modifications being made to your unraid host, not good!, you may then loose connectivity to your server until you reboot (which will reset iptables), so please dont try this as a last resort :-), im just pointing this out as a couple of people have tried this in the past and i know it can cause complete loss of connectivity to unraid until you reboot, so didnt want anybody else to fall foul of this.

ok so ive pushed the change, but because you will be storing the plugin in /config (for persistence) you will either need to delete the plugins folder or modify the /config/rutorrent/plugins/diskspace/conf.php file and put quotes around the /data value to get going, the choice is yours, this time i deleted all files/folders and built it locally and it def starts up fine.

Well, the verdict is in.. rtorrent is a touch faster, but the speed difference (+0.3MB/s) is surely in the range of peer performance variation.

Interesting results, I've seen a bigger difference than that, a well seeded torrent will normally be close to max my connection out using rutorrent around 2.0MB/s. using deluge ive never seen better than around 1.1-1.3MB/s

Well, the verdict is in.. rtorrent is a touch faster, but the speed difference (+0.3MB/s) is surely in the range of peer performance variation.

Interesting results, I've seen a bigger difference than that, a well seeded torrent will normally be close to max my connection out using rutorrent around 2.0MB/s. using deluge ive never seen better than around 1.1-1.3MB/s

What?

I Max out my connection with deluge (10MB/s), had to set it down becuase I could not watch Twitch at the same time.

Sat it down it 6MB/s, and still maxing that out. I have set it to unlimited clients.

What?

I Max out my connection with deluge (10MB/s), had to set it down becuase I could not watch Twitch at the same time.

Sat it down it 6MB/s, and still maxing that out. I have set it to unlimited clients.

Is this over a vpn connection?

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

What?

I am using delugevpn with PIA, so I hope so :D

What?

Lol just double checking, impressive speeds then, I'm just not seeing that with deluge, maybe I need to play around with the settings, up the peer count a bit more, maybe tweak half open connections too perhaps.

What?

Lol just double checking, impressive speeds then, I'm just not seeing that with deluge, maybe I need to play around with the settings, up the peer count a bit more, maybe tweak half open connections too perhaps.

I have not tweaked any settings, only thing I have done is set connections to unlimited and speed to unlimited, before I changed it to 6000KiB/s.

Thanks for the docker BTW  ;D

Nothing unfortunately..it could be either the ISP (Rogers in my case), the VPN server (PIA), or the links connecting them slowing it all down.

Ultimately, it's not a deal breaker for me. 1.5-2.0MB/s is still hardly anything to be unhappy with, but damnit my connection should go 12.5 MBs like it does w/o VPN.

I'm really just going to chalk it up to the price I'm willing to pay for privacy.

BTW, binhex, thanks for the dockers!  ;D

Nothing unfortunately..it could be either the ISP (Rogers in my case), the VPN server (PIA), or the links connecting them slowing it all down.

Ultimately, it's not a deal breaker for me. 1.5-2.0MB/s is still hardly anything to be unhappy with, but damnit my connection should go 12.5 MBs like it does w/o VPN.

I'm really just going to chalk it up to the price I'm willing to pay for privacy.

BTW, binhex, thanks for the dockers!  ;D

Its strange though as I have used both deluge and rtorrent, both on PIA, and seen massive differences. I have stopped using rtorrent as I just wasnt finding it worked as well as deluge for sincing with sonarr etc.

Its a while since i used rtorrent but I believe I averaged 6-7MB/s vs ~1-2MB/s of deluge.

I'm gonna let my downloads finish and give rtorrent another go then. Just seemed alot less user friendly to configure. For a noob like me at least.

• binhex locked this topic