[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

I have noticed this as well...

Also mine is hollering about port 6881 on the bottom status - never had that with the DelugeVPN one....

Myk

Hi Myk,

Are you talking about the port checker down the bottom? That should be checking whatever port you are using to connect externally, and you need to ensure you have allowed that via your firewall (if you have VPN disabled, which you had said you were doing). If the port checker is not green then your upload speed will be poor.

Port 6881 is the port for DHT, I have it disabled as most private tracker sites frown upon it's use. I don't think there is any check for it on the bottom though, so unless you have set your Listening port to the same port number it shouldn't set of any alarms, and I don't think it would be best practice to use a port that low for your listening port.

Cheers,

Wob

Also mine is hollering about port 6881 on the bottom status - never had that with the DelugeVPN one....

Myk

Hi Myk,

Are you talking about the port checker down the bottom? That should be checking whatever port you are using to connect externally, and you need to ensure you have allowed that via your firewall (if you have VPN disabled, which you had said you were doing). If the port checker is not green then your upload speed will be poor.

Port 6881 is the port for DHT, I have it disabled as most private tracker sites frown upon it's use. I don't think there is any check for it on the bottom though, so unless you have set your Listening port to the same port number it shouldn't set of any alarms, and I don't think it would be best practice to use a port that low for your listening port.

Cheers,

Wob

I am now connecting vpn so I have the port forwarded via the vpn providor.  The DHT port is what is hollaring on this setup where I was ok on the Deluge one

Status bar attached

Also I am not worried as I told the config to leave private torrents as is and announce them anywhere else

Myk

statusbar.png.dcfbbc2bf21159ea3043485555805f53.png

Myk

Hi Myk,

Cheers,

Wob

I am now connecting vpn so I have the port forwarded via the vpn providor.  The DHT port is what is hollaring on this setup where I was ok on the Deluge one

Status bar attached

Also I am not worried as I told the config to leave private torrents as is and announce them anywhere else

Myk

looking at that screenshot it looks like your incoming port is not open (red icon), i dont think that icon is showing you issues with DHT, what vpn endpoint are you connecting to?.

I'm with binhex on that, that icon is related to the port checker, which should be checking your listening port, can you screenshot your port setting page?

Binhex, do you have any issues with upd trackers? Like I posted.

Wob

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

not as far as i know, no, i just did a quick test, loaded up a torrent from a public index site and i can see seed/peer counts increasing from a udp tracker, so looks to be working, check your rtorrent.rc file and make sure udp is enabled.

not as far as i know, no, i just did a quick test, loaded up a torrent from a public index site and i can see seed/peer counts increasing from a udp tracker, so looks to be working, check your rtorrent.rc file and make sure udp is enabled.

Yeah I did do that, I'll do some further digging.

Thanks,

Wob

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Myk

Hi Myk,

Cheers,

Wob

Status bar attached

Myk

looking at that screenshot it looks like your incoming port is not open (red icon), i dont think that icon is showing you issues with DHT, what vpn endpoint are you connecting to?.

AirVPN

when I mouse over the red ! I get - 6881: Port is closed

which is what DHT is set to

I have 26118 as my inbound port, that is forwarded at AirVPN, also forwarded thru my router to unRAID like my other port that is configured for the DulugeVPN docker.

But when testing at AirVPN - the 26118 fails.  I have green bar for the Deluge one and a blue bar for the rTorrent one at AirVPN

Am not sure what I am doing wrong as I want to move to ruTorrent - like it much better

Myk

ok lets take this step by step here, as there is a lot of misconception here:-

AirVPN

firstly support for airvpn does not automatically set the incoming port for you, this is not possible as its up to the user to configure and decide which port they will get forwarded via the airvpn config webpage, so you need to configure rtorrent manually for the port you have defined (should be the same as the port defined in delugevpn). This is done by editing the rtorrent.rc file, NOT via the rutorrent webui.

when I mouse over the red ! I get - 6881: Port is closed which is what DHT is set to

this is true that dht is set by default to port 6881 BUT so is the default incoming port, so the indicator at the bottom is ONLY for the incoming port, it does not monitor or show you DHT issues, what your seeing in indication that the incoming port is not open, which it wont be as you need to configure rtorrent to use the airvpn incoming port you defined.

I have 26118 as my inbound port, that is forwarded at AirVPN, also forwarded thru my router to unRAID like my other port that is configured for the DulugeVPN docker.

But when testing at AirVPN - the 26118 fails.  I have green bar for the Deluge one and a blue bar for the rTorrent one at AirVPN

so configuring port forwarding on your router will have ZERO effect on the vpn tunnel, a vpn tunnel is a secure independent link to another network that is routed over your standard internet connection, thats why you need to configure the incoming port via your vpn providers website, or in the case of PIA programatically.

I hope the above clears up some of your issues, if your still stuck then let me know.

Ok, getting my seeds etc moved from Deluge over - but I have hit a roadblock and I searched and tried editing the .rc for hours last night - but I am suck at 10 total seeds/downloads.

I tried editing the global up/down variables - but I can not get past 10

Ideas please - new to this torrent program

Thanks

Myk

ok, this is aparently my problem:

2016/05/30 08:29:31 [error] 700#0: *923 client intended to send too large body: 2312290 bytes, client: 192.168.0.204, server: localhost, request: "POST /php/addtorrent.php?torrents_start_stopped=1&dir_edit=%2FSeeds&label=PD HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.0.104:9080", referrer: "http://192.168.0.104:9080/"

Does the php.ini need to be told to allow larger file upload?

torrent has 5804 files in it.....

Myk

ok, this is aparently my problem:

2016/05/30 08:29:31 [error] 700#0: *923 client intended to send too large body: 2312290 bytes, client: 192.168.0.204, server: localhost, request: "POST /php/addtorrent.php?torrents_start_stopped=1&dir_edit=%2FSeeds&label=PD HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.0.104:9080", referrer: "http://192.168.0.104:9080/"

Does the php.ini need to be told to allow larger file upload?

torrent has 5804 files in it.....

Myk

hi MyKroFt, took at look at this, it actually requires two tweaks:-

one to the php.ini as you suspected, and the other is to the nginx.conf file. the pho tweak i have done and is now included in the latest image (just built on docker hub), so nothing to do, just pull down the latest image.

the other tweak is in the nginx config file, as this is actually in /config and isnt overwritten if it exists (to allow users to customise it if required) you will need to stop the container, then delete the file /config/nginx/config/nginx.conf then start again, that should be it then, test it and it should allow file uploads up to 20 MB (was 2MB).

I just installed this docker, and it appears to be running. However, I cannot access the GUI. The default URL (http://<server ip>:9080) just brings up an error page stating that the site can't be reached. I've been trying to figure this out, but I can't find anything in the documentation. Is there something that I need to change in a setting file such as rtorrent.rc? Do I need to set up a VPN before I can access the GUI, even from within my local network? I really hope to get this working because I really like rTorrent, but I am not very Linux savvy.

By the way, can I set up common plug-ins with this? I am particularly interested in autodl-irssi. Also, is this specific to a particular version of rTorrent, or can the version be changed? Thanks.

I just installed this docker, and it appears to be running. However, I cannot access the GUI. The default URL (http://<server ip>:9080) just brings up an error page stating that the site can't be reached. I've been trying to figure this out, but I can't find anything in the documentation. Is there something that I need to change in a setting file such as rtorrent.rc? Do I need to set up a VPN before I can access the GUI, even from within my local network? I really hope to get this working because I really like rTorrent, but I am not very Linux savvy.

By the way, can I set up common plug-ins with this? I am particularly interested in autodl-irssi. Also, is this specific to a particular version of rTorrent, or can the version be changed? Thanks.

I figured out why I couldn't connect to the web interface. I missed the advanced section in the docker settings. I had to change the LAN IP setting to match mine.

Is there any way to get autodl-irssi installed? What about changing the version? Is that something that would require a separate docker for each version? I'm hoping to replace my Windows torrent machine (uTorrent 2.2.1) with an rTorrent docker, but I think I might have one or two trackers that are picky with rTorrent and don't allow the newest version. EIther way, I really appreciate the effort to provide this docker. I gave up long ago trying to set up a Linux box with rTorrent and fail-safe VPN.

When - not if rTorrent crashes and the check script sees it and goes to restart it - the OpenVPN connection has been lost - but never gets reconnected.

I have to actually stop and restart the container for the OpenVPN tp AirVPN to get reconnected - in the meantime all my seeds\ connections have been lost at the tracker (timeout - take 60 min for this tracker)

so it needs to restart OpenVPN also when rTorrent gets restarted?

Myk

UPDATE:  Seems like any time a Torrent finishes downloading - rTorrent crashes and the web interface can reach it - have to restart the container

When - not if rTorrent crashes and the check script sees it and goes to restart it - the OpenVPN connection has been lost - but never gets reconnected.

I have to actually stop and restart the container for the OpenVPN tp AirVPN to get reconnected - in the meantime all my seeds\ connections have been lost at the tracker (timeout - take 60 min for this tracker)

im not seeing this behaviour, are you sure that its not the fact that rtorrent is busy moving incomplete files/folders to the completed folder?, this could take some time, especially so if the completed folder is a folder on the array and not on the cache drive, i would recommend leaving the ui and giving it another refresh after a number of mins, i think you will find it will reconnect fine.

so it needs to restart OpenVPN also when rTorrent gets restarted?

in a word, no, rtorrent and openvpn are completely seperate, both will restart independently if the process dies.

UPDATE:  Seems like any time a Torrent finishes downloading - rTorrent crashes and the web interface can reach it - have to restart the container

im not seeing this behavior either, i havent restarted my container and its been up for over a week now, as is the tunnel with multiple downloads completed, again you might be seeing a "busy" issue where rtorrent is so busy that rutorrent cannont connect, worth waiting it out to see if rutorrent reconnects once rtorrent has completed its work, im afriad rtorrent is a bit crap at responding when its under heavy load, its something that i dont like about rutorrent/rtorrent, but for now thats just how it is, ive done extensive perf tweaks to php and nginx but the fundamental issue is rtorrent can lock when loading large torrents.

After having the system working well for a few weeks, I'm suddenly getting "Torrent list not yet available..." in the web interface as well as "No connection to rTorrent" in the web interface log tab. The VPN proxy still works, just the torrent interface is down.

I rebooted the container a bunch of times attempting to fix to no avail. Any pointers on where I should look to attempt to resolve?

Thanks!

Shut down the docker, remove the rtorrent.lock from the session folder and you should be good to go

Myk

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't fix it. The lock is replaced when the docker starts up again and the same messages are on the screen.

• binhex locked this topic