[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

Oh, damn :S

My issue is that I use the rutorrent to be able to use the app "BarMagnet" on my iOS devices (the only I could find to control Torrents with iOS!).  I had to install a certificate to be able to use it, but now I have it, I was able to use the rutorrent HTTPRPC to add my rtorrentVPN docker (using my WAN IP with a port fwd to port 9080 (port I used for the HTTP version). 

I could use the rtorrent XMLRPC, but I really don't know how, any idea ??  What port I can connect from the Internet to the rtorrent XMLRPC.

Hi,

I was thinking of moving this container to use pipeworks, moving it onto it's own IP will enable me to monitor its bandwidth usage on my router.

But if I do so I get the following errors in my log and it doesn't work.

2016-11-28 09:21:37,744 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:

Mon Nov 28 09:21:37 2016 write UDPv4: Operation not permitted (code=1)

Any Ideas on if there is a way to make it play nice with pipeworks?

Cheers,

Wob

My rutorrent suddenly doesnt work. Was working fine yesterday.

Tried to re-deploy it several times. Also tried to boot up a deluge, just to see if that would work, but same result.

so ive spotted you have incorrectly defined your LAN_NETWORK, snippet:-

LAN_NETWORK defined as '192.168.88.12/24'

it should be (assuming you have the CIDR correct as well):-

192.168.88.0/24

So correct this first, once you've done this if its still not working then post screenshots of the unraid docker config for this container.

Also create a env var with name DEBUG and set the value to true and post the supervisord.log again.

oh and change your password, youve included it in the log.

Hi,

I was thinking of moving this container to use pipeworks, moving it onto it's own IP will enable me to monitor its bandwidth usage on my router.

Cheers,

Wob

i know nothing about pipework, but operation not permitted sounds like your missing the --privileged=true flag.

Hey binhex

So, I'm switching to your rtorrentvpn container (from DelugeVPN - which is awesome, btw, just looking to try rtorrent) but can't get the webgui to load.  Attached is my supervisor log file.  Spot anything wrong with it?

Thanks!!

Jim

yep, it looks like you havent configured it, make sure you click on the "advanced view" option (top right) so that you can then set all the env variables, for instance vpn username and password are not set right now which wont get you far :-)

Tried to re-deploy it several times. Also tried to boot up a deluge, just to see if that would work, but same result.

192.168.88.0/24

So correct this first, once you've done this if its still not working then post screenshots of the unraid docker config for this container.

Also create a env var with name DEBUG and set the value to true and post the supervisord.log again.

I usually have it to 88.0/24, but I was just trying things out.

I have attached screenshots and new log

rtorrentvpn.zip

192.168.88.0/24

OK well that log now shows a successful start, so you cant now connect on http://<unraid host ip>:9080 on your home LAN (not over internet)?

192.168.88.0/24

OK well that log now shows a successful start, so you cant now connect on http://<unraid host ip>:9080 on your home LAN (not over internet)?

Hmm this was super weird. Earlier when i troubleshooted this, i was on a vpn to my home network. Rutorrent didnt work, and neither on my NAT forwarding. But it is working at home now.

192.168.88.0/24

Hmm this was super weird. Earlier when i troubleshooted this, i was on a vpn to my home network. Rutorrent didnt work, and neither on my NAT forwarding. But it is working at home now.

NAT forwarding may not work (depends how this is configured), due to a bug in unraid where they dont enable iptable mangle support until you enable a VM, then it all magically springs into life.

snippet from your latest log showing this:-

2016-11-28 16:06:46,331 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] iptable_mangle module not supported, attempting to load...

2016-11-28 16:06:46,332 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
modprobe: FATAL: Module iptable_mangle not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.30-unRAID

2016-11-28 16:06:46,332 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] iptable_mangle module not supported, you will not be able to connect to rTorrent webui or Privoxy outside of your LAN

But it should work fine inside your LAN, so not sure what your issue was before.

192.168.88.0/24

NAT forwarding may not work (depends how this is configured), due to a bug in unraid where they dont enable iptable mangle support until you enable a VM, then it all magically springs into life.

snippet from your latest log showing this:-

2016-11-28 16:06:46,331 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] iptable_mangle module not supported, attempting to load...

2016-11-28 16:06:46,332 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
modprobe: FATAL: Module iptable_mangle not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.30-unRAID

2016-11-28 16:06:46,332 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] iptable_mangle module not supported, you will not be able to connect to rTorrent webui or Privoxy outside of your LAN

But it should work fine inside your LAN, so not sure what your issue was before.

That makes perfect sense, since my vm was turned off. Turned them on, and restarted rtorrent, and NAT are now working.

Any way to turn that module on permanent?

That makes perfect sense, since my vm was turned off. Turned them on, and restarted rtorrent, and NAT are now working.

i really wish i could say yes, but sadly no, the only option you have is to always ensure you start any of my VPN dockers only after you have started your VM, im going to for now create a simple entry in MY go file that executes a 'docker start <containername>'  after i see my VM running and use that instead of the autostart option in the docker UI. i have discussed this with jonp a couple of times but sadly ive seen no real fix included in any of the releases.

Hi Binhex,

I still had privileged on, but pipeworks uses some "magic" I don't fully understand, you need to set the docker network to "none" and then set an ip via an extra setting. "-e 'pipework_cmd=br0 @CONTAINER_NAME@ 192.168.0.251/[email protected]'" pipeworks detects that via the docker.socks and configures the network accordingly. It is working fine with plex, also requires privileged run, but there must be a limit to how network is passed through the pipeworks container and openvpn's access needs.

I'll file it in the too hard basket.

You did trip me up for quite awhile with the latest update. I had tested out the flood interface, but went back to rutorrent as I use allot of the plugins, originally they both ran together, but I see the latest version disabled rutorrent if flood is enabled, the coincided with my testing pipeworks, when I switched back i couldn't work out why I couldn't get to the web interface anymore. Took me a good while to spot the problem.

Thanks anyway.

Wob

Hi,

Cheers,

Wob

i know nothing about pipework, but operation not permitted sounds like your missing the --privileged=true flag.

Hey binhex

So, I'm switching to your rtorrentvpn container (from DelugeVPN - which is awesome, btw, just looking to try rtorrent) but can't get the webgui to load.  Attached is my supervisor log file.  Spot anything wrong with it?

Thanks!!

Jim

yep, it looks like you havent configured it, make sure you click on the "advanced view" option (top right) so that you can then set all the env variables, for instance vpn username and password are not set right now which wont get you far :-)

Thanks.  The username and pw were in there, I just dropped in random text to anonymize it.  Also, I have "http://10.0.0.2:9080" for the WebUI and I dropped in one of PIA's servers in Key 4. 

No dice loading the webgui with the above.  Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Jim

i really wish i could say yes, but sadly no, the only option you have is to always ensure you start any of my VPN dockers only after you have started your VM, im going to for now create a simple entry in MY go file that executes a 'docker start <containername>'  after i see my VM running and use that instead of the autostart option in the docker UI. i have discussed this with jonp a couple of times but sadly ive seen no real fix included in any of the releases.

I found a fix :)

Just add this to your go file:

/sbin/modprobe iptable_mangle

I found a fix :)

Just add this to your go file:

/sbin/modprobe iptable_mangle

Awesome I will test that on Monday, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Binhex,

Thanks a lot for your work. I'm so happy to have switched from a Synocommunity rtorrent package to your image on my new DS916+. So much easier to upgrade the DSM or the package. In fact, this is even the reason why I bought this 916.

I especially love the possibility to choose the user to run as, and the joined vpn, although not tried yet.

I have one question and one suggestion:

Kind regards

Hello Binhex,

Thanks a lot for your work. I'm so happy to have switched from a Synocommunity rtorrent package to your image on my new DS916+. So much easier to upgrade the DSM or the package. In fact, this is even the reason why I bought this 916.

I especially love the possibility to choose the user to run as, and the joined vpn, although not tried yet.

I have one question and one suggestion:

Kind regards

You can just add the tracklabels plugin to your docker data folder. I did that, since I was missing the plugin.

Yes, that's what I did when I realized that the plugin dir was accessible in the rutorrent config dir. I just wonder why restarting rutorrent was not enough to see the plugin, and I've had to restart the entire ocntainer. Oh well....

But still, it would be a nice and easy addition to the image.

Yes, that's what I did when I realized that the plugin dir was accessible in the rutorrent config dir. I just wonder why restarting rutorrent was not enough to see the plugin, and I've had to restart the entire ocntainer. Oh well....

Refresh the webui is usually enough

The track labels plugin caused instability in my testing, thus its removal from the install, i might revisit this at some point in the future and see if things have improved

Ok, good to know, if I see strange behaviors, I'll remove it first, before finger pointing rutorrent or your image :-)

The code plugin hasn't been modified since years, so unless it only revealed instability caused by something else you might have fixed, I wouldn't expect changes.

Hi binhex,

Just a question re privoxy, I have it running and it works fine from my network, but I can't seem to get other containers to work through it. I have tried pointing Jackett and Cardigann at it but both fail. I might be missing a config, but I just had a thought that it might be a network issue. Does Privoxy see the network from the host or from the container IP?

Can I enable logging in the privoxy config file to diagnose, and if so do you know what config level I would need?

Thanks,

Wob

Update: Still not luck with the above but I just testing with sickrage and it does work, but I have another issue, with sickrage it is all or nothing, and it can't access the local seachers (Jackett\Cardigann) via privoxy, so, can I set up privoxy to redirect local requests to go direct?

Hi everyone, hope you all had a great Christmas.

Anyway, got rTorrentVPN working with "ivacy" VPN which uses VPN_PORT as 53.

My supervisord.log contains the following lines:-

2016-12-28 07:15:36.950867 [warn] VPN_INCOMING_PORT not defined (via -e VPN_INCOMING_PORT), downloads may be slow

and

Wed Dec 28 07:15:48 2016 WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled.  See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.

Both are warnings and things do seem to be working OK, do I need to do anything about them? What?

Cheers DC

• binhex locked this topic