[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

13 hours ago, mbc0 said:

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

I am on PIA and the server I am connecting to is nl.privateinternetaccess.com I have confirmed this with a torrent checker.

Apologies, I have now read the FAQ on the settings.. that is now resolved.

should this line be in the rtorrent.tc file as 

#dht_port = 45566

Cheers!

ok so the line above should be commented out, yes, as this is assigned and configured for you, have you by any chance configured the incoming port in the rtorrent.rc file?, or are trying to change it in the rutorrent webui?, please post the contents of the rtorrent.rc file here (both of which you shouldn't do)

Edited by binhex

Hi,

I looked at this the next day but I was unable to connect the the WEBUI nothing I did would work so I re-installed the docker, still nothing, deleted all old files from appdata and deleted the template and did a fresh install, still no WEBUI? I did some research and changed Container Variable: VPN_ENABLED to no and now I can see the WEBUI 

Nothing has changed on my PIA account, I have logged in ok using the same login username and password on the container and even reset my password on my PIA account and reflected that into the container but still no UI if Container Variable: VPN_ENABLED is set to yes

Attached is my file from /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/rtorrent/config

Where can I go from here?

Many Thanks

rtorrent.rc

Edited by mbc0
adding info
Hi,

I looked at this the next day but I was unable to connect the the WEBUI nothing I did would work so I re-installed the docker, still nothing, deleted all old files from appdata and deleted the template and did a fresh install, still no WEBUI? I did some research and changed Container Variable: VPN_ENABLED to no and now I can see the WEBUI 

Nothing has changed on my PIA account, I have logged in ok using the same login username and password on the container and even reset my password on my PIA account and reflected that into the container but still no UI if Container Variable: VPN_ENABLED is set to yes

Attached is my file from /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/rtorrent/config

Where can I go from here?

Many Thanks
rtorrent.rc

If you can see my signature then click on the help link

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think I have either misunderstood or this has gone off track? as I am looking for a way to get RTorrent working and he replied "If you can see my signature then click on the help link" that is what I am trying to find...

29 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

I think I have either misunderstood or this has gone off track? as I am looking for a way to get RTorrent working and he replied "If you can see my signature then click on the help link" that is what I am trying to find...

I posted a link telling you how to see signatures.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

Thanks jonathanm, sorry but I didn't find that a very obvious place to turn other peoples sigs on and off! done now and can see them thanks!!

Your welcome. And no, it's not obvious at all, that's why I posted a link with directions instead of just telling you to turn on signatures. :)

11 hours ago, mbc0 said:

All working (ish) again now thanks, god knows how the ip address for the lan changed??? 

I am just back to having the original problem of the port closed at the bottom of the webgui again :-0

Please click on the 'help' link in my sig and follow the steps.

On 06/07/2017 at 4:40 PM, Hansel said:

Hi all,

I have this up and running in Docker in Ubuntu.  Everything seems fine, the VPN is working, Flood is working if I enable that and rutorrent is working otherwise.   If I have rutorrent enabled on 9080 I can add it as a Download Client in Sonarr and all is fine.

However, I really want to use Flood and I'm not sure how to get Sonarr/Radarr to connect in that case... just hoping someone can help me out?

Thanks!

Anyone managed to get this going?  Been fiddling around and it's to do with the SCGI ports, but I can't quite work it out.   Flood seems to want an rtorrent.sock file but that doesn't appear to exist...

Edited by Hansel
On 7/3/2017 at 5:18 PM, binhex said:

yeah that sounds about right.

is there a better way? - sure its called unRAID :-), in that scenario you simply take your usb key out of your old server, move your drives over to your new server, plug in usb key, job done :-).

I need to look into unraid later ;)

I just migrated to my new beefy server, and everything went smoothly but just a minor detail. (This could also be due to a bug in a newer version and not the migration, my image wasn’t updated before.)

The label counter in the state panel doesn’t show any activity, finished, inactive, active etc displays 0.

Clicking on each state displays all finished, inactive torrents etc. It’s just the counter that is always set to (0) although there’s torrents in each state. 

I just downloaded a torrent-file recently and the label downloading is displaying (0), clicking on the label shows that it’s downloading.

I get this message when I enter the rutorrent gui, didn’t got it in the old image and don’t know if it’s related:

JS error:[ip/js/webui.js : 1923 ] TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating ’s[lbl]’)

Edit: Fixed it, when migrating some torrents had labels. Sonarr/Radarr labels-settings didn't migrate. Removing the labels solved the problem.

Edited by Ritt

@Ritt @bbram as you both seem to have the same/similar issues with the label plugin this might be the issue:-

rutorrent went up to ver 3.8.0 and because the plugins are saved to /config you would of been using ver 3.7.0, possible issues because of this mismatch, so deleting them forces the copy of the newer plugins to /config/

try resetting your plugins:-

1. stop container

2. delete /config/rutorrent/plugins folder

3. restart container

On 7/17/2017 at 2:19 PM, binhex said:

@Ritt @bbram as you both seem to have the same/similar issues with the label plugin this might be the issue:-

rutorrent went up to ver 3.8.0 and because the plugins are saved to /config you would of been using ver 3.7.0, possible issues because of this mismatch, so deleting them forces the copy of the newer plugins to /config/

try resetting your plugins:-

1. stop container

2. delete /config/rutorrent/plugins folder

3. restart container

Thank you @binhex, I was having the same issue as @bbram and @Ritt, deleting the plugins folder worked.

8 minutes ago, jakebuxx said:

Hi

Seem's to have loaded ok,

But having trouble connecting to the ruTorrent (web ui)

Attached supervisord.log

John

supervisord.log

two issues:-

LAN_NETWORK defined as '192.168.1.89/24'

defined incorrectly, see faq link below for help:-

second problem, you have chosen to use flood, this is an alternative UI and runs on a different port, port 3000 to be exact not 9080, taken from readme:-

http://<host ip>:3000/

Edited by binhex
35 minutes ago, jakebuxx said:

Ok

Second time I ran it still no joy,

Got a tun problem now

ok fixed that problem with the Create a TUN.sh file  manual

supervisord.log

as your using synology (and not awesome unraid), there are a few more hoops for you to jump through ,see here:-

I also seem to have the issue of the port closed.  I deleted the line in the docker setup for VPN_INCOMING_PORT.  This didn't seem to change anything.  The little red circle is still at the bottom of the screen, reporting 49160: Port is closed.  I haven't altered the rtorrent.rc file at all, and I'm connecting to PIA's Toronto servers (also tried the NL servers, with no change).

thank you for any help you can offer.....

Please see attached debug supervisord log

supervisord.log

7 hours ago, Sniff said:

I also seem to have the issue of the port closed.  I deleted the line in the docker setup for VPN_INCOMING_PORT.  This didn't seem to change anything.  The little red circle is still at the bottom of the screen, reporting 49160: Port is closed.  I haven't altered the rtorrent.rc file at all, and I'm connecting to PIA's Toronto servers (also tried the NL servers, with no change).

thank you for any help you can offer.....

Please see attached debug supervisord log

supervisord.log

you've turned off port forwarding:-

[debug] Port forwarding disabled, skipping incoming port detection

due to this:-

2017-07-27 23:10:45.479813 [info] STRICT_PORT_FORWARD defined as 'no'

On 25/04/2017 at 4:45 PM, binhex said:

Hi guys, so an important change is coming to this VPN docker image (and others in time - staggered change), in short i will be dropping the ability to configure the remote endpoint, tunnel device type, port, protocol and strong certs, instead the image will parse the ovpn file and use the values from the ovpn file.

Why am i doing this change?

1. less for the user to get wrong - if there are less env variables then hopefully there will be less chance of misconfiguration, im still seeing a fair bit of this happening.

2. less chance of mismatched configuration for endpoints - for certain vpn providers they require different ovpn options depending on the endpoint your connecting to, this will reduce this happening by forcing the user to download the correct ovpn file from the provider.

3. changes to port and/or certs wont break the image - currently i bake in the PIA ovpn file and cert, whilst this is convenient for the end user it also means any changes to either of these files breaks the image, thus a decision to push the responsibility of this back to the user is another reason to drop env vars.

It does of course come with a couple of disadvantages:-

1. possible breakage during the switch over - im testing this right now and will be trying my hardest to not break any existing configuration, the aim of this is for you not to really notice the change, until of course you attempt to use the env vars to change your endpoint and discover it no longer does anything :-) (see below)

2. switching endpoint for PIA users is slightly more tricky - so when wanting to switch endpoint for PIA a end user would have to download the ovpn file for the endpoint they want to connect to, as opposed to just modifying the env var, which in some cases maybe taken as a disadvantage (slower, maybe?), but i could see it could be relatively easy to keep a library of ovpn files and just drop in what you want to use or even edit the existing file, so its not too onerous.

So what do YOU have to do? - in short nothing, i have code in the latest release that ive just built that will sync up your env vars to the ovpn file, so when the final change occurs you shouldn't notice any changes, it should still connect to the same endpoint with the same port and protocol,

So when is this happening? - the final switch over to using ovpn file only will be around the end of MAY 2017, im leaving a gap to ensure all existing users have their env vars written to the ovpn file (will happen on start/restart of the docker after image update). After this date if you wish to switch endpoint you will need to drop in the correct ovpn file (or edit it) to point at the endpoint you want to switch to.

lol, a little bit later than expected 9_9, but hey i got there in the end, this is now in place, so from now on if you want to switch provider then you should be altering the ovpn file directly (or dropping a new ovpn config file over the top of the existing file) the following env vars will have no effect now (this container only for now):-

VPN_REMOTE
VPN_PORT
VPN_PROTOCOL
VPN_DEVICE_TYPE
STRONG_CERTS

p.s this change is coming to sabnzbdvpn (shortly) and delugevpn (delayed) too.

p.p.s @dockerPolice as i dont want to be the wrong side of the law :D, these env vars have of course been removed from the xml template (and the other two in time).

Edited by binhex
  • binhex locked this topic