[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

On 1/4/2018 at 6:09 AM, binhex said:

its in the rutorrent web ui, look at the value set for settings/connection/port used for incoming connections.

no, its done for you.

i have seen this too, but i have confirmed the port is still open so at this point im assuming its a fault with the website used to check the port.

Thanks for the clarification. One more question if you don't mind. Am I supposed to forwarding the tunnel port on my router? The port that is in the openvpn conf? I ask because I also run an openvpn-as container which uses 1194 and I have to forward that port for it to work. Thanks.

How can I change settings in rutorrent and have them save? it seems that every time I change max d/l or u/l setting i come back the next day and it back to unlimited. Also I can never set my own port, I change the setting for the port my vpn uses and it always shows that its using port 6881.

Welp.. I was up and running so nicely for a while.  I broke my container again and the only thing that I did was shut down my NAS and install two M.2 solid state drives to use as a read/write cache.  Every time that I try to load it now I get this same error:

Wed Jan 17 01:32:14 2018 ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such device (errno=19)

06:32:14
Wed Jan 17 01:32:14 2018 Exiting due to fatal error

I tried a couple of things that I found when reading about this error in other threads.. but it didn't make any difference.  I know just enough about this to get into trouble.

Here is one thing that I tried adding to the run command to no avail:

--privileged \
 --device=/dev/net/tun \

Any ideas?  I feel like such a noob..

3 hours ago, markomax said:

Welp.. I was up and running so nicely for a while.  I broke my container again and the only thing that I did was shut down my NAS and install two M.2 solid state drives to use as a read/write cache.  Every time that I try to load it now I get this same error:

Wed Jan 17 01:32:14 2018 ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such device (errno=19)

06:32:14

Wed Jan 17 01:32:14 2018 Exiting due to fatal error

I tried a couple of things that I found when reading about this error in other threads.. but it didn't make any difference.  I know just enough about this to get into trouble.

Here is one thing that I tried adding to the run command to no avail:

--privileged \
 --device=/dev/net/tun \

Any ideas?  I feel like such a noob..

follow these instructions:-

Just spent another couple of hours trying all kinds of different settings, even deleting the rtorrentvpn image and downloading the latest version.  It seems like everything is working again, though I don't know exactly why..  I think that when I set up a bonded dual gigabit connection on my NAS, I set up a different "default gateway" on the NAS as 192.168.1.1 which functions separately from my router?  I had to use 192.168.1.0/24 instead of my router's default gateway that I had set up before.. probably 

It seems that fixed the "Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such device (errno=19)" by using this combination of things early in the run command.

--cap-add=NET_ADMIN \
    --device=/dev/net/tun \

I think that deleting files/folders within the /config folder also helped fix things.. though I am not sure what or why.  The most useful thing that I figured out is that I can move, modify, or delete all of the config folders except for the "openvpn" one and the "rtorrent" to help troubleshoot things, and as long as I don't delete the rtorrent one, I won't lose my rtorrent session and have to recheck all of my files again.

I will post my supervisord.log (minus my PIA login info) if I run into any other issues.  I plan to not mess with NAS network settings, drives, SSD cache, etc anymore now that everything is working to my liking.

Sorry that I am so ignorant.  Maybe another newbie like me will find my posts useful.

Edited by markomax

I am running the PIA config, but when I start my container I get this error in the logs:

2018-01-18 16:34:57.860419 [info] System information Linux b534b06d2c17 4.13.0-26-generic #29~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 9 22:00:44 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux
2018-01-18 16:34:57.892396 [info] PUID defined as '1000'
2018-01-18 16:34:57.924583 [info] PGID defined as '1000'
2018-01-18 16:34:57.960040 [info] UMASK defined as '000'
2018-01-18 16:34:57.992365 [info] Permissions already set for volume mappings
2018-01-18 16:34:58.029504 [info] VPN_ENABLED defined as 'yes'
2018-01-18 16:34:58.065252 [crit] No OpenVPN config file located in /config/openvpn/ (ovpn extension), please download from your VPN provider and then restart this container, exiting...

Thank you for your hard work, this container sounds exactly what I'm looking for!

37 minutes ago, dauntless101 said:

No OpenVPN config file located in /config/openvpn/ (ovpn extension), please download from your VPN provider and then restart this container

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip

Open the file, extract ONE of the ovpn files along with the crt and pem files, probably the netherlands, and place it in the openvpn folder inside the appdata config folder for this container.

Ok awesome, that got me a bit further. Now it seems that rtorrent is unable to start:

2018-01-18 18:02:00,990 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] Removing any rtorrent session lock files left over from the previous run...

2018-01-18 18:02:00,991 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to start rTorrent...

2018-01-18 18:02:00,993 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:
Script started, file is /home/nobody/typescript

2018-01-18 18:02:01,011 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:
Script done, file is /home/nobody/typescript

2018-01-18 18:02:30,202 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:
[warn] Wait for rTorrent process to start aborted

2018-01-18 18:03:00,329 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent not running

2018-01-18 18:03:00,330 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] Removing any rtorrent session lock files left over from the previous run...

2018-01-18 18:03:00,331 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

2018-01-18 18:03:00,334 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

2018-01-18 18:03:00,352 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

2018-01-18 18:03:29,539 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

8 hours ago, dauntless101 said:

Ok awesome, that got me a bit further. Now it seems that rtorrent is unable to start:

2018-01-18 18:02:00,990 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

2018-01-18 18:02:00,991 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

2018-01-18 18:02:00,993 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

2018-01-18 18:02:01,011 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

2018-01-18 18:02:30,202 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

2018-01-18 18:03:00,329 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent not running

2018-01-18 18:03:00,330 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

2018-01-18 18:03:00,331 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

2018-01-18 18:03:00,334 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

2018-01-18 18:03:00,352 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

2018-01-18 18:03:29,539 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:

we need the full log, do the following procedure:-

Hello,

over the last several months I noticed a trend that when I add either multiple torrent files at the same time or a large torrent file (say 100 gig download), eventually the server crashes with an out of memory error - It's impossible to collect logs from the server because even when i'm in front of the server i can't input a command due to the memory error.

I scoured the forum and tried things such as changing the disk cache wit the tips and tricks plugin.

I am finally posting here because I realised that this only occurs when Rtorrent is loaded with many torrent files at once or large ones - otherwise I never have this problem. Any help would be appreciated

supervisord.log

Hi, I recently upgraded to 6.4 and was interesting in running this with its own IP

I set the network type to br0

I gave it the container it's own IP

I start the container, but I cannot get access to the webui. It does seem like it is running fine as privoxy seems to be working fine. It seems like it is just the UI that I cannot get into.

I checked the supervisor log and I don't see any errors. It says nginx is running etc. Any ideas? I have been able to move other containers to their own IP (plex, tuatulli, sonarr, radarr)

I also tried this this with the deluge and I have the same issue. I cannot get into the webui. I can however connect to the deluge daemon with the standalone app. My problems seem to be with accessing both webUIs. As soon as I revert back to bridge instead of br0, I can access the webUIs

Edited by theGrok
On 19/01/2018 at 10:31 PM, dauntless101 said:

Thanks for the tip! Here is my attached log.

supervisord.log

the config looks ok, so im assuming its some corruption/misconfiguraiton of rtorrent/rutorrent. so please delete all files/folders in /config EXCEPT for the 'openvpn' folder, as this will container your vpn ovpn file and looks correct, then restart/start the container again and everything will be re-created from scratch.

On 20/01/2018 at 5:56 PM, theGrok said:

Hi, I recently upgraded to 6.4 and was interesting in running this with its own IP

I set the network type to br0

I gave it the container it's own IP

I start the container, but I cannot get access to the webui. It does seem like it is running fine as privoxy seems to be working fine. It seems like it is just the UI that I cannot get into.

I checked the supervisor log and I don't see any errors. It says nginx is running etc. Any ideas? I have been able to move other containers to their own IP (plex, tuatulli, sonarr, radarr)

I also tried this this with the deluge and I have the same issue. I cannot get into the webui. I can however connect to the deluge daemon with the standalone app. My problems seem to be with accessing both webUIs. As soon as I revert back to bridge instead of br0, I can access the webUIs

@wgstarks has already attempted this (unsuccessfully) so worth reading through the comments in the delugevpn thread, in short in order for this to work you need to make sure that the your defined LAN (defined via LAN_NETWORK) and the network assigned to this container are different, as iptable rules need to distinguish between the LAN and the network assigned to the container, i have no idea how you achieve this with unraid 6.4.x (or even if its possible) but this is what's required, if you figure out how to do it then please post here.

7 hours ago, binhex said:

@wgstarks has already attempted this (unsuccessfully) so worth reading through the comments in the delugevpn thread, in short in order for this to work you need to make sure that the your defined LAN (defined via LAN_NETWORK) and the network assigned to this container are different, as iptable rules need to distinguish between the LAN and the network assigned to the container, i have no idea how you achieve this with unraid 6.4.x (or even if its possible) but this is what's required, if you figure out how to do it then please post here.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. So as of now this does not seem possible. I will revert everything back to bridge as it all works that way. As networking is not my forte, I don't think I would be able to find  a solution.

8 hours ago, binhex said:

the config looks ok, so im assuming its some corruption/misconfiguraiton of rtorrent/rutorrent. so please delete all files/folders in /config EXCEPT for the 'openvpn' folder, as this will container your vpn ovpn file and looks correct, then restart/start the container again and everything will be re-created from scratch.

Ok, I cleared everything except for the openvpn folder but still can't access rutorrent. Here is m new/current log.

Thanks

supervisord.log

8 hours ago, binhex said:

Is this what you are suggesting needs to happen or am I misunderstanding.

Damn.. I broke everything again after rebooting my Synology DS918+ NAS.  Good news though!  I stumbled across the above post after searching the delugevpn support thread for "tun.sh".  These commands are absolutely essential for getting rtorrentvpn and delugevpn containers to run properly using Docker on Synology DSM 6 or higher.  Unless the above commands are used, neither will work at all and the logs will likely say an error such as this:

Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such device (errno=19)

I hope that other Synology users find this useful.  I have no idea what these commands do, but they solved my problem and are worth a shot if you have having similar issues.

15 hours ago, dauntless101 said:

Any idea? It seems like rtorrent is starting but I can't browse to the web interface on either port

it looks like you have enabled alternative ui 'flood':-

[info] Flood enabled, disabling initialisation of ruTorrent plugins...

so in this case you need to connect to this ui using port 3000 (default), if this is a mistake and you want to use rutorrent instead then set ENABLE_FLOOD to no, restart the container and connect on port 9080 (default).

Can't seem to get around this error:

Fri Jan 26 12:25:24 2018 ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory (errno=2)
Fri Jan 26 12:25:24 2018 Exiting due to fatal error

I am running this on Ubuntu 17.10 via Docker 17.12.0-ce. I have several other docker containers running without issue, including binhex/arch-sabnzbdvpn w/ working privoxy. One thing I've done out of the ordinary is running  sudo /sbin/modprobe iptable_mangle as directed in previous logs however, I don't really understand what that did, or if it persists between reboots.

I added the image in question to docker via this command:

docker run -d \
  --cap-add=NET_ADMIN \
  -p 8088:9080 \
  -p 8089:9443 \
  -p 8090:8118 \
  -p 8091:3000 \
  --name=rtorrent_vpn \
  -v /opt/docker_incoming_downloads:/data \
  -v /opt/docker_config_files/rtorrent_vpn:/config \
  -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \
  -e TZ=America/Los_Angeles \
  -e VPN_ENABLED=yes \
  -e VPN_USER=p####### \
  -e VPN_PASS=shhhhhhhhhhhh_its_a_secret \
  -e VPN_PROV=pia \
  -e STRICT_PORT_FORWARD=yes \
  -e ENABLE_PRIVOXY=yes \
  -e ENABLE_FLOOD=yes \
  -e ENABLE_AUTODL_IRSSI=yes \
  -e LAN_NETWORK=10.0.0.0/24 \
  -e NAME_SERVERS=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4 \
  -e DEBUG=true \
  -e PHP_TZ=America/Los_Angeles \
  -e UMASK=000 \
  -e PGID=1000 -e PUID=1000 \
  binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn

Supervisord.log attached as directed.

Thanks for your continued hard work on this and other projects. Hey binhex, might I ask what your day-to-day job is?

supervisord.log

UPDATE: [SOLVED] Adding the line --device=/dev/net/tun to the run command fixed the problem. Any clue why?

Edited by Hawkins

Right after 5 hours of trying to sorts this out on my own, I give up.

Basically every time I try to enable VPN in the docker, I loss access to the web UI's. After 5 hours, it's starting to get frustrating.

My router is 10.1.1.1
I set the LAN_NETWORK as "10.1.1.0/24" (I have tried "10.1.1.1/24" out of desperation though). No luck.

I've looked at the logs, nothing super jumps out, though there's a CA error
I've attached a partial log below, please save me from tearing my hair out.

supervisord-partial.log

7 hours ago, Ryonez said:

Basically every time I try to enable VPN in the docker, I loss access to the web UI's

That generally means the VPN is not negotiating a connection. The web UI won't run unless the VPN is correctly configured, so you can't accidentally think you are protected when you are not. Focus on your VPN config files and credentials. You seem to be missing some required VPN files. The log piece you posted says which ones near the bottom.

• binhex locked this topic