[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

No noticeable regressions after the upgrade. Memory consumption is holding well. rtorrent process using around 55 MB memory with a couple of torrents and about the same as before with ~1000 torrents. I was expecting much more of a hit given the extra features.

Fantastically done.

I still can't manage to install FileManager with the ruTorrent v3.8 + rtorrent 0.9.6/0.13.6 combo. Don't know what I'm doing wrong :(.

Do the recent changes affect Flood? I can't login anymore.

I get the result below when I try to login and I don't see anything weird in the logs.

EDIT: I lied. I found:

2019-03-04 20:09:31,260 DEBG fd 22 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 22886222140264 for <Subprocess at 22886221024504 with name flood-script in state RUNNING> (stdout)>
2019-03-04 20:09:31,260 DEBG fd 26 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 22886221150328 for <Subprocess at 22886221024504 with name flood-script in state RUNNING> (stderr)>
2019-03-04 20:09:31,260 INFO exited: flood-script (exit status 0; expected)
2019-03-04 20:09:31,260 DEBG received SIGCLD indicating a child quit

image.png.0877cf2c85b4f093983dfdb28b7c6b59.png

Edited by WexfordStyle
52 minutes ago, WexfordStyle said:

Do the recent changes affect Flood? I can't login anymore.

I get the result below when I try to login and I don't see anything weird in the logs.

EDIT: I lied. I found:

2019-03-04 20:09:31,260 DEBG fd 22 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 22886222140264 for <Subprocess at 22886221024504 with name flood-script in state RUNNING> (stdout)>
2019-03-04 20:09:31,260 DEBG fd 26 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 22886221150328 for <Subprocess at 22886221024504 with name flood-script in state RUNNING> (stderr)>
2019-03-04 20:09:31,260 INFO exited: flood-script (exit status 0; expected)
2019-03-04 20:09:31,260 DEBG received SIGCLD indicating a child quit

image.png.0877cf2c85b4f093983dfdb28b7c6b59.png

I use flood and I haven't really had any problems with the new image. Do you have static IPs set in your rtorrent.rc rather than 127.0.0.1 or similar? If so check to make sure when you updated unraid didnt assign you to a different ip. If it did you may need to update that both in rtorrent.rc as well as the flood db settings.

Edited by dbsps
binhex, would you consider switch to master github version of ruttorent? It has a lot of improvements since last release.

And thanks for latest changes. This is great.

Moving over to target master branch always makes me nervous as a breaking change can happen at any point and for me stability wins over features every time. I think for now at least I'm going to leave it targeting github release just because there have been a lot of changes happened and I don't want to change too many things in one go.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
11 hours ago, binhex said:

see here for a PR that apparently (not tried it) allows you to install file manager plugin:-

https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/issues/96

Great stuff @binhex. I did manage to make it work adjusting some of the OP instructions. I left a few comments in the GitHub issue.

File Manager is probably a very good addition to your image. It's certainly very useful when you are sharing your "seedbox" with non-technical users or just need a quick way to decompress a set of rar files, etc remotely (It comes out of the box in most managed seedboxes).

I've noticed that, so far, there are no PRs merged to your repo, so I didn't take the time to open a PR. However, if you do decide to add support for file manager, I can send you a patch (afaic my patch is public domain). Otherwise, I think that my instructions should be good enough to add support from scratch with no hassle.

If you do decide to add support (or at least install zip and rar packages) it would be great. That way I can avoid building images locally.

Edited by Cat_Seeder
11 hours ago, Cat_Seeder said:

I left a few comments in the GitHub issue.

thanks for that!.

12 hours ago, Cat_Seeder said:

If you do decide to add support (or at least install zip and rar packages) it would be great

i will take a look, im hoping the plugin isnt too large, this container already has a LOT going on so i am very conscious of that.

• Like 1
On 2/18/2019 at 1:07 PM, IndianaJoe1216 said:

Hello, just want to start by saying that this is by far the best torrent docker that I have come across and has been a life-saver. I am having an issue that I was hoping to get some support on or see if anyone else is having the same problem.

I use a combination of Autotools, the unpack feature and Ratio Groups to automatically label new torrents, move them to a folder once the download is complete and then remove them after a certain period of time. When a torrent is added by either Sonarr or Radarr it gets a label of either TV or Movie. Pretty standard stuff. The path to that item is /data/Torrents/Download/TV or /data/Torrents/Download/Movie and once completed I have the auto move set to move the torrent to /data/Torrents/Complete/TV or /data/Torrents/Complete/Movie respectively. Once completed if there is anything that needs to be unpacked that is completed at that time as well. The downloaded item then remains on my server in that folder for 2 weeks and is removed regardless of the seed ratio (this is completed via ratio groups.) When I initially set this up it worked just fine. I tested it multiple times and everything went swimmingly. The problem I am having now is the all of my docker containers are automatically shut down every night for the CA Backup Plugin to run and backup all of my configs. For some reason after that plugin runs all of the features mentioned above stop working and won't start again until I go and stop and restart the container, but everything that should have happened between then doesn't. It will remove old downloads after I restart usually, but anything added after the plugin runs won't get assigned a RatioGroup, Nothing gets auto unpacked or moved to the correct folder when complete. I don't see anything in the logs that would cause this and there shouldn't be anything in the rtorrent.rc file that needs to be edited for this either. Is anyone else having this issue or know of a fix?

Gonna bump this up as I didn't get any feedback and it sounds like maybe this was something @binhex was looking to fix by switching to rtorrent-ps. It seems like the gui and it's tasks just hang after awhile.

6 hours ago, IndianaJoe1216 said:

Gonna bump this up as I didn't get any feedback and it sounds like maybe this was something @binhex was looking to fix by switching to rtorrent-ps. It seems like the gui and it's tasks just hang after awhile.

+1, I have the same annoyance. I have also noticed the exact same things as you describe (even the GUI just hanging).

Although I haven't identified the cause, same issues with AutoTools automove, ratiogroups and other automation plugins not working after a while. Even with everything correctly configured and verified working in tests, it seems pretty random when the automation will actually work due to this.

Edited by Elevator
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, binhex said:

thanks for that!.

i will take a look, im hoping the plugin isnt too large, this container already has a LOT going on so i am very conscious of that.

TYVM for considering it.

Stats in my machine:

filemanager + fileuploader folders: 344.9 KiB

zip package:  549.6 KiB

rar package (AUR): 862.6 KiB

rutorrent: each one of the nginx containers are now averaging around 1640 K. Before installing both plugins containers where using around 1550 K - 1580 K each.

Overall it is a very lightweight set of plugins, however, I do understand that it is one more thing to manage in an image that is already doing a lot :).

---

Different topic: I'm also making a lot of progress with nginx reverse proxy. My containers have been running smoothly for around 10 days.
I've created a docker-compose projects that servers rtorrentvpn + nginx-proxy. It is currently able to expose rutorrent and optionally flood to the internet with their own custom domains (e.g., rutorrent.mydomain.xyz and flood.mydomain.xyz) over https, with A+ SSL scores. It works over IPv4 and IPv6 (for those of us behind CGNAT).
I don't think that my solution is complex enough to deserve it's own git repo for now. Is this something worth sharing in the forums?

Cheers,

On 3/7/2019 at 1:56 AM, Cat_Seeder said:

I do understand that it is one more thing to manage in an image that is already doing a lot :).

yeah size is def one aspect but support and maintenance are the killers, i really dont want this docker image to become a big bloated monstrosity and its getting that way already.

On 3/7/2019 at 1:56 AM, Cat_Seeder said:

Different topic: I'm also making a lot of progress with nginx reverse proxy. My containers have been running smoothly for around 10 days.
I've created a docker-compose projects that servers rtorrentvpn + nginx-proxy. It is currently able to expose rutorrent and optionally flood to the internet with their own custom domains (e.g., rutorrent.mydomain.xyz and flood.mydomain.xyz) over https, with A+ SSL scores. It works over IPv4 and IPv6 (for those of us behind CGNAT).
I don't think that my solution is complex enough to deserve it's own git repo for now. Is this something worth sharing in the forums?

you have seen the excellent nginxproxymanager docker image right?, if not then i STRONGLY encourage you to give it a spin, its awesome and sounds like it does what you have managed to do manually.

im using it now for all my external access and its great, its something ive wanted for a LOOOOONG while, that combined with geo blocking and hopefully shortly fail2ban integration and my network will be tighter than a ducks ass 🙂

link:- https://forums.unraid.net/topic/76460-support-djoss-nginx-proxy-manager/

• Like 1
On 3/8/2019 at 11:05 AM, binhex said:

yeah size is def one aspect but support and maintenance are the killers, i really dont want this docker image to become a big bloated monstrosity and its getting that way already.

I understand. This may not be a very popular opinion given that lots of people are running your image in very limited devices such as an entry level NAS. However, maybe it would be worth it to break down services in separate containers, potentially binding everything together with a "do it all" docker compose file? E.g., one image with openVPN + port forwarding stuff, one image with rtorrent-ps exposing just port 5000, one image with rutorrent, one image with flood, one with privoxy, etc.

That way you will be able to add features to individual images without worrying too much about overly bloated containers. 

On 3/8/2019 at 11:05 AM, binhex said:

you have seen the excellent nginxproxymanager docker image right?, if not then i STRONGLY encourage you to give it a spin, its awesome and sounds like it does what you have managed to do manually.

im using it now for all my external access and its great, its something ive wanted for a LOOOOONG while, that combined with geo blocking and hopefully shortly fail2ban integration and my network will be tighter than a ducks ass 🙂

link:- https://forums.unraid.net/topic/76460-support-djoss-nginx-proxy-manager/

Looks very promising. The GUI is awesome. Straight out of the box beats my solution. I just need to check if it is working well with IPv6 :)

Thanks for the great hint. Not sure why I haven't found the container above while looking for it :).

Edited by Cat_Seeder
13 hours ago, Cat_Seeder said:

I understand. This may not be a very popular opinion given that lots of people are running your image in very limited devices such as an entry level NAS. However, maybe it would be worth it to break down services in separate containers, potentially binding everything together with a "do it all" docker compose file? E.g., one image with openVPN + port forwarding stuff, one image with rtorrent-ps exposing just port 5000, one image with rutorrent, one image with flood, one with privoxy, etc.

That way you will be able to add features to individual images without worrying too much about overly bloated containers. 

Looks very promising. The GUI is awesome. Straight out of the box beats my solution. I just need to check if it is working well with IPv6 :)

Thanks for the great hint. Not sure why I haven't found the container above while looking for it :).

I'd be fore this. I have no need of the openVPN / Privoxy or ruTorrent stuff myself but I understand if this might be a bit more work than you want to take one as well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dbsps said:

I'd be fore this. I have no need of the openVPN / Privoxy or ruTorrent stuff myself but I understand if this might be a bit more work than you want to take one as well.

I haven't tried it myself but if rTorrent + flood is all you need maybe the following image may fit the bill: https://hub.docker.com/r/wonderfall/rtorrent-flood

You may, of course, use binhex's image with the correct flags to disable vpn, privoxy and ruTorent + autodl-rssi, however, given that you do not need 80% of its features, if might feel like driving your kids to school with a lorry :).

Edited by Cat_Seeder

I saw that the php memory limit has been increased from 128M to 512M.

# configure php memory limit to improve performance
sed -i -e "s~.*memory_limit\s\=\s.*~memory_limit = 512M~g" "${php_ini}"

Since this is one of the main reasons why ruTorrent gets unresponsive at around ~4000 torrents I'd love to hear what a realistic maximum is.

I currently only have 1000, everything works fine but it's getting more and more and I'd appreciate it if someone could share what a relatively stable maximum is with the modified settings from Binhex.

Edited by Paradido
  • Like 1

@binhex, I'm sorry to keep bothering you.
Just want to check something. In rtorrent.rc we have:

protocol.encryption.set = allow_incoming,enable_retry,prefer_plaintext

As far as I understand rTorrent will work in plain text mode by default right?
Is there a reason not to change it to something like:

protocol.encryption.set = allow_incoming,try_outgoing,enable_retry

So that it tries to use RC4 encryption when possible? As far as I understand this is safer and it's a good neighbour police (helps people that do not use a VPN). 

28 minutes ago, Cat_Seeder said:

@binhex, I'm sorry to keep bothering you.
Just want to check something. In rtorrent.rc we have:

protocol.encryption.set = allow_incoming,enable_retry,prefer_plaintext

As far as I understand rTorrent will work in plain text mode by default right?
Is there a reason not to change it to something like:

protocol.encryption.set = allow_incoming,try_outgoing,enable_retry

So that it tries to use RC4 encryption when possible? As far as I understand this is safer and it's a good neighbour police (helps people that do not use a VPN). 

sounds good to me, tbh i am no expert when it comes to the details of rtorrent config, the currently bundled rtorrent.rc is a carbon copy taken from the github repo with a few tweaks to enable dht etc, so its just the default config 

i can change this to what you are suggesting so that new users will pick up the change, im being lazy here and not looking this up, just want to confirm the above would mean it still could fallback to plaintext if required, right?, i dont want new users to start complaining that speeds are low due to not being able to connect to all peers.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Paradido said:

if someone could share what a relatively stable maximum is with the modified settings from Binhex.

i think this is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions, i would say a stable maximum will be something within the boundaries of your hardware, if you have 32GB of ram and 16GB of that is free then i dont see a problem with setting that value quite high, to something maybe like 4GB, that way you dont need to worry about hitting the ceiling any time soon, its only a maximum after all.

Edited by binhex
7 minutes ago, binhex said:

i would say a stable maximum will be something within the boundaries of your hardware

Sorry if it was ambiguous but my question was actually how much torrents one can have in ruTorrent with your 512MB PHP memory setting without getting any major issues. With the default 128MB it's usually around 4000 torrents. I have been able to find only a handful of posts which say increasing PHP memory can make ruTorrent stable with 4k+ torrents but nothing a little more specific. I do know that rTorrent can work even with 20k torrents but ruTorrent is the limiting factor.

So I'm just searching for someone who can say e.g. "I am using rTorrentVPN with 9000 torrents without any major issue, just a little bit laggy". I'm not asking "what's the perfect PHP memory size setting". Just want to know how much I can push rTorrentVPN with your out of the box modified settings.

Edited by Paradido
Just now, Paradido said:

Sorry if it was ambiguous but my question was actually how much torrents one can have in ruTorrent with your 512MB PHP memory setting without getting any major issues. With the default 128MB it's usually around 4000 torrents. I could find only a handful of posts which say increasing PHP memory can make ruTorrent stable with 4k+ but nothing specific.

So I'm just searching for someone who can say e.g. "I am using rTorrentVPN with 9000 torrents without any major issue, just a little bit laggy".

ahh ok, i certainly cant comment on that im afraid as i tend to have a very low number of active torrents, myabe somebody else will chip in, failing that you could always ask on the rtorrent github repo as an 'issue' there might be some way of calculating it perhaps.

• binhex locked this topic