[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

On 6/12/2019 at 6:17 PM, binhex said:

The above is now fixed in the latest image please pull down and try

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Just dropping by to say that containers have been stable for 3 days already. Buttery smooth
I initially didn't get any disk space back and then I remembered to manually delete the Flood folder created by previous versions :D.
Great stuff getting rid of Google and OpenDNS by the way; never know when DNS leaks will happen. Despite some Reddit hate for Cloudfare I never had a problem with 1.1.1.1.

Will send you some extra beer your way soon :).

Edited by Cat_Seeder
  • Like 1

I have a lot of .meta files in my download directory. Is it safe to delete them?

If it is relevant, I usually use a magnet file to start a download, and I notice that the download starts with a META file before switching to the actual file. I currently have no such META files downloading, but there are still a lot of .meta files in the download directory.

43 minutes ago, sonofdbn said:

I have a lot of .meta files in my download directory. Is it safe to delete them?

yes, the meta files are basically magnets, these will be loaded and converted to torrent files, the meta files should then be deleted, but its possible cleanup hasnt happened for some of these files so manual deletion is fine.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, binhex said:

yes, the meta files are basically magnets, these will be loaded and converted to torrent files, the meta files should then be deleted, but its possible cleanup hasnt happened for some of these files so manual deletion is fine.

Thanks. I didn't realise that's what happened with magnets; and now I see the torrent files are in the session folder.

Im trying to download something with radarr right now and all im getting it .meta files and in rtorrent they are showing as "Tracker: [DHT search unsuccessful.]" any ideas?

EDIT

Well in case anyone is wondering if you are checking a  torrent  magnets wont change from meta to torrents until its done...  Im checking a 2.1Tb torrent so I have a bunch of .meta files.  Pausing the checking and they all converted to torrents.

Edited by ChronoStriker1

I have been having issues with rtorrentvpn, and maybe with unraid, I can't get the web ui for rtorrent to load reliably, and when it does load it only connects briefly.  My unraid issues, which I'm mentioning in case it's related, is that pages load slowly, settings change slowly, I give up waiting and relaod whichever page and sometimes the changes took, sometimes they didn't.  When I try to initiate a shutdown or restart I am used to seeing a new page with a countdown, I'm not seeing that anymore. 

Here's some maybe pertinent backstory.  This is my second current unraid box using leftovers from upgrades, built because the first box is out of bays and running out of space.  I started it with drives pre-cleared 3 times, with encrytped xfs, and initially did not set up a parity drive.  With the array running, I started to get Current pending sectors on one of the drives in the array.  I waited for a drive that was pre-clearing at the time to finish and then had it build parity with that drive, the drive with errors, and 2 others.  Then I replaced the drive with errors and let it rebuild.  This morning I added a cache drive and set things up to use it, including app data (preferred) and my download directory (yes).  I also ran and xfs check of the drive that replaced the drive with errors, and a btrfs check on the cache drive.  I had been using a copy of the openvpn folder from my other box which is running the same container successfully, I just tried overwriting the contents with a fresh download from PIA and that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Thank you for any help, log file is attached.

edit: As suggested I have attached my unraid diagnostics.

supervisord-sending.log

flags-diagnostics-20190622-2223.zip

Edited by bobobeastie
added unraid diagnostics
3 hours ago, bobobeastie said:

I have been having issues with rtorrentvpn, and maybe with unraid, I can't get the web ui for rtorrent to load reliably, and when it does load it only connects briefly.  My unraid issues, which I'm mentioning in case it's related, is that pages load slowly, settings change slowly, I give up waiting and relaod whichever page and sometimes the changes took, sometimes they didn't.  When I try to initiate a shutdown or restart I am used to seeing a new page with a countdown, I'm not seeing that anymore. 

Here's some maybe pertinent backstory.  This is my second current unraid box using leftovers from upgrades, built because the first box is out of bays and running out of space.  I started it with drives pre-cleared 3 times, with encrytped xfs, and initially did not set up a parity drive.  With the array running, I started to get Current pending sectors on one of the drives in the array.  I waited for a drive that was pre-clearing at the time to finish and then had it build parity with that drive, the drive with errors, and 2 others.  Then I replaced the drive with errors and let it rebuild.  This morning I added a cache drive and set things up to use it, including app data (preferred) and my download directory (yes).  I also ran and xfs check of the drive that replaced the drive with errors, and a btrfs check on the cache drive.  I had been using a copy of the openvpn folder from my other box which is running the same container successfully, I just tried overwriting the contents with a fresh download from PIA and that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Thank you for any help, log file is attached.

edit: As suggested I have attached my unraid diagnostics.

supervisord-sending.log 37.59 kB · 0 downloads

flags-diagnostics-20190622-2223.zip 93.45 kB · 0 downloads

rtorrent has been much better at connecting to the web ui since I ungraded to 6.7.1 official from 6.7.1 rc2.  It is still timing out frequently though.

I see there are option to use PIA and AIR. If I want to use torguard, do I just set it to custom, add username:password and openvpn files like I normaly do using PIA? Or is there a different approach to get torguard working with rtorrentvpn?

Any reason not to choose torguard? With 50% off it is a really nice offer so I am considering them over PIA now that my subscription runs out.

3 minutes ago, ProphetSe7en said:

I see there are option to use PIA and AIR. If I want to use torguard, do I just set it to custom, add username:password and openvpn files like I normaly do using PIA?

exactly.

4 minutes ago, ProphetSe7en said:

I see there are option to use PIA and AIR. If I want to use torguard, do I just set it to custom, add username:password and openvpn files like I normaly do using PIA? Or is there a different approach to get torguard working with rtorrentvpn?

Any reason not to choose torguard? With 50% off it is a really nice offer so I am considering them over PIA now that my subscription runs out.

check they allow port forwarding and are ok with torrent traffic, if not then they wont be a good choice.

5 minutes ago, ProphetSe7en said:

Any reason not to choose torguard?

A brief google suggests that port forwarding necessary for torrents is going to be a manually configured and a user managed deal, where it's automatic with the scripts binhex set up for PIA. So, if the savings is enough to make up for your time setting it up and making it work, fine.

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

A brief google suggests that port forwarding necessary for torrents is going to be a manually configured and a user managed deal, where it's automatic with the scripts binhex set up for PIA. So, if the savings is enough to make up for your time setting it up and making it work, fine.

I did set it up manually when using Airvpn. If it is just as easy and a one time thing I dont mind doing it manually :) Need to look into it before deciding.

3 minutes ago, binhex said:

exactly.

check they allow port forwarding and are ok with torrent traffic, if not then they wont be a good choice.

Thank you :)

One more thing. I see that my container is using both google and opendns. Should I remove them and use the ones in the pia/air excampel on github?

From: NAME_SERVERS 209.222.18.222,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8,209.222.18.218,37.235.1.177,1.0.0.1,8.8.4.4
To: NAME_SERVERS=209.222.18.222,84.200.69.80,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,209.222.18.218,37.235.1.177,84.200.70.40,1.0.0.1

16 minutes ago, ProphetSe7en said:

I did set it up manually when using Airvpn. If it is just as easy and a one time thing I dont mind doing it manually :) Need to look into it before deciding.

Thank you :)

One more thing. I see that my container is using both google and opendns. Should I remove them and use the ones in the pia/air excampel on github?

From: NAME_SERVERS 209.222.18.222,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8,209.222.18.218,37.235.1.177,1.0.0.1,8.8.4.4
To: NAME_SERVERS=209.222.18.222,84.200.69.80,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,209.222.18.218,37.235.1.177,84.200.70.40,1.0.0.1

As part of my ongoing tightening of all things vpn i decided to remove google and opendns name servers from the default list, as both support EDNS Client Subnet (ip tracking via dns in short) so recommend the now current name servers as shown in the readme.md.

bit of bed time reading:- https://00f.net/2013/08/07/edns-client-subnet/

so guys, im having trouble with speeds after latest update.

At the moment im having maximum of 11 MiB download whatever I do... Before i could almost top my 1gb/s line. I tried redownloading some very seeded torrents and change the ammount active (from 1 to 5) and whatever i do, the download speed stays the same, about 11MiB.

This is my rtorrent.rc. Should I change something? Just to be sure its a container problem, is there an easy way to speedtest inside the container? Thank you

(If someone could edit my post to put my rtorrent.rc inside a text box i would appreciate it, as i dont know how to do it)

# This is an example resource file for rTorrent. Copy to
# ~/.rtorrent.rc and enable/modify the options as needed. Remember to
# uncomment the options you wish to enable.

# Maximum number of simultaneous downloads and uploads slots (global slots!) (`max_downloads_global`, `max_uploads_global`)
#
#throttle.max_downloads.global.set = 300
#throttle.max_uploads.global.set   = 300

# Global upload and download rate in KiB. "0" for unlimited.
#
#throttle.global_down.max_rate.set_kb = 0
#throttle.global_up.max_rate.set_kb = 0

# Maximum number of simultaneous downloads and uploads slots per torrent (`max_uploads`) Default: `50` for both
#
#throttle.max_downloads.set = 50
#throttle.max_uploads.set = 8

# Maximum and minimum number of peers to connect to per torrent.
#
#throttle.min_peers.normal.set = 100
#throttle.max_peers.normal.set = 200

# Same as above but for seeding completed torrents (-1 = same as downloading)
#
#throttle.min_peers.seed.set = 10
#throttle.max_peers.seed.set = 50

# Maximum number of connections rtorrent can accept/make (`sockets`)
#
#network.max_open_sockets.set = 1200

# Maximum number of open files rtorrent can keep open (you have to modify the system wide settings with ulimit!) (`set_max_open_files`)
#
#network.max_open_files.set = 600

# Maximum number of simultanious uploads per torrent.
#
#throttle.max_uploads.set = 15

# Default directory to save the downloaded torrents.
#
directory.default.set = /downloads/completed/

# Default session directory. Make sure you don't run multiple instance
# of rtorrent using the same session directory. Perhaps using a
# relative path?
#
session.path.set = /config/rtorrent/session/

# Watch a directory for new torrents, and stop those that have been
# deleted.
#
#schedule2 = watch_directory,5,5,load.start=./watch/*.torrent
#schedule2 = untied_directory,5,5,stop_untied=

# Close torrents when diskspace is low.
#
#schedule2 = low_diskspace,5,60,close_low_diskspace=100M

# The ip address reported to the tracker.
#
#network.local_address.set = 127.0.0.1
#network.local_address.set = rakshasa.no

# The ip address the listening socket and outgoing connections is
# bound to.
#
#network.bind_address.set = 127.0.0.1
#network.bind_address.set = rakshasa.no

# Port range to use for listening.
#
network.port_range.set = 51413-51413

# Start opening ports at a random position within the port range.
#
network.port_random.set = no

# Disable check for SSL cert for tracker
#
network.http.ssl_verify_peer.set = 0

# Check hash for finished torrents. Might be useful until the bug is
# fixed that causes lack of diskspace not to be properly reported.
#
#pieces.hash.on_completion.set = no

# Set whether the client should try to connect to UDP trackers.
#
trackers.use_udp.set = yes

# Alternative calls to bind and ip that should handle dynamic ip's.
#
#schedule2 = ip_tick,0,1800,ip=rakshasa
#schedule2 = bind_tick,0,1800,bind=rakshasa

# Encryption options, set to none (default) or any combination of the following:
# allow_incoming, try_outgoing, require, require_RC4, enable_retry, prefer_plaintext
#
# The example value allows incoming encrypted connections, starts unencrypted
# outgoing connections but retries with encryption if they fail, preferring
# plaintext to RC4 encryption after the encrypted handshake
#
protocol.encryption.set = allow_incoming,try_outgoing,enable_retry

# Enable DHT support for trackerless torrents or when all trackers are down.
# May be set to "disable" (completely disable DHT), "off" (do not start DHT),
# "auto" (start and stop DHT as needed), or "on" (start DHT immediately).
# The default is "off". For DHT to work, a session directory must be defined.
# 
dht.mode.set = auto

# UDP port to use for DHT. 
#
dht.port.set = 49170

# Enable peer exchange (for torrents not marked private)
#
protocol.pex.set = yes

# Set downlad list layout style. ("full", "compact")
#
#ui.torrent_list.layout.set = "full"

# SCGI Connectivity (for alternative rtorrent interfaces, XMLRPC)
#
# Use a IP socket with scgi_port, or a Unix socket with scgi_local.
# schedule can be used to set permissions on the unix socket.
#
scgi_port = 127.0.0.1:5000
#scgi_local = /home/user/rtorrent/rpc.socket
#schedule = scgi_permission,0,0,"execute.nothrow=chmod,\"g+w,o=\",/home/user/rtorrent/rpc.socket"

# Initialise ruTorrent plugins (required for rss and scheduler plugins) on startup 
# (normally triggered by a browser opening the web ui).
#
# The command below in practice does NOT always trigger (possible race condition?) and thus
# the same command has been added to the script /home/nobody/initplugins.sh in order to 
# attempt to ensure all plugins are initialised.
#
execute = {/bin/bash,-c,/usr/bin/sleep 10s && /usr/bin/php /usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/php/initplugins.php admin &}

Edited by jayemecee
ask for rtorrent.rc to go into a text box
10 hours ago, jayemecee said:

At the moment im having maximum of 11 MiB

10 hours ago, jayemecee said:

is there an easy way to speedtest inside the container?

Have you done a speedtest in general? Are you sure you don't have a networking problem with your server? That speed seems similar to an ethernet connection that has degraded to 100 instead of 1000.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

Have you done a speedtest in general? Are you sure you don't have a networking problem with your server? That speed seems similar to an ethernet connection that has degraded to 100 instead of 1000.

Yes, as i said, i was reaching upwards of 50MiB before the update, meaning, the saerver is capable of 1gb/s. thats why i think this is so strange and am asking is theres an easy way to speedtest inside a container

4 hours ago, trurl said:

Again, thank you for you answer, as it turns out, you were right, my router reverted back to stock config and thought the proxmox server was 100mb. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction

• Upvote 1

I got a weird issue and i can't find a way to solve this,
i got about 600+ torrents running, but 102 of those torrents always need to rehash when rtorrentvpn restarts.

Always the same 102 torrents (almost 3TB), after the rehash they all pass.

Different trackers even torrents that i cross seed, on one tracker they need to rehash on the other not.
I tried the following:

- removing them and re-adding them manually (delete + data),
- remove them and add them by doing a manaul search in Radarr/Sonarr so that Radarr/Sonarr adds it.

- deleted the .resume file and waited till the session got saved and recreated the .resume file.

- checked if the torrents with the issue are on the same drive but they aren't.

Any one got ideas what else this could be or what i could try to fix this issue of mine ?

I got a weird issue and i can't find a way to solve this,
i got about 600+ torrents running, but 102 of those torrents always need to rehash when rtorrentvpn restarts.
Always the same 102 torrents (almost 3TB), after the rehash they all pass.
Different trackers even torrents that i cross seed, on one tracker they need to rehash on the other not.
I tried the following:
- removing them and re-adding them manually (delete + data),
- remove them and add them by doing a manaul search in Radarr/Sonarr so that Radarr/Sonarr adds it.
- deleted the .resume file and waited till the session got saved and recreated the .resume file.
- checked if the torrents with the issue are on the same drive but they aren't.

Any one got ideas what else this could be or what i could try to fix this issue of mine ?

It's got to be storage related, especially if it's always the same ones check the path for the ones that recheck against the ones that don't

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

could you perhaps give me some more info where to look for it,

all torrents are stored on the same share.

the torrents that work and don't work are all scattered around the several disk on the array.
i even checked if the torrents with the issues where on the same drive but they aren't.
i even did a few a forced recheck.

Is anybody having a problem with latest relase? 

RuTorrent spins around forever and times out with the error "Bad response from server: (0 [error,getplugins])"

Have tried with an empty configuration. The logs does not include anything hinting about an error.

• binhex locked this topic