[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

I was informed that this "docker" installation of rtorrent/rutorrent is able to seed 35k torrents (mp3/flac albums) on a machine with Atom CPU and 4 GBs of RAM. Can anyone confirm such capability so I don't spend another few days trying to install all of that?

I was also informed pyrocore is able to regulate number of seeded torrents at one time in rtorrent, but it seems to be that it only regulates number of torrents downloading, not seeding. Please help. Thanks!

16 hours ago, pyc said:

I was informed that this "docker" installation of rtorrent/rutorrent is able to seed 35k torrents (mp3/flac albums) on a machine with Atom CPU and 4 GBs of RAM. Can anyone confirm such capability so I don't spend another few days trying to install all of that?

I was also informed pyrocore is able to regulate number of seeded torrents at one time in rtorrent, but it seems to be that it only regulates number of torrents downloading, not seeding. Please help. Thanks!

I can't speak to your other questions, but I've read quite a bit on this forum and other forums about the number of torrents that are able to be seeded.

It seems like most torrent clients start to have issues after 3,000 or so (some as few as a couple hundred). Many people mentioned that in order to get the 35k+ torrents work, you'd be using rTorrent in a terminal, as even ruTorrent seems to max out around 4-5,000. Others can correct me if I have misunderstood this, though.

• Like 1
On 1/16/2020 at 10:17 AM, pyc said:

I was informed that this "docker" installation of rtorrent/rutorrent is able to seed 35k torrents

can you send me a link to this?, from what @Cat_Seeder mentioned, i doubt you could get anywhere near 35k torrents, even via the command line, he mentioned around the 5k mark if you tweaked it a lot, see here:-

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46127-support-binhex-rtorrentvpn/?do=findComment&comment=807573

you could of course simply run multiple docker containers, that could get you closer to this, assuming 5k per docker container, and a cap of 5 concurrent connections from your vpn provider, you should be able to reach 25k torrents, it most probably will be a challenge though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/comments/eoysz8/recommended_rtorrent_settings_for_4_gb_ram_atom/feieogh?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x    That's where I got that information, and I really doubt even rtorrent can seed 35k torrents with 4 GBs of RAM, not to mention rutorrent which is much worse in that sense... So I asked how much of RAM that machine has, and I'm waiting for reply...

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, pyc said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/comments/eoysz8/recommended_rtorrent_settings_for_4_gb_ram_atom/feieogh?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x That's where I got that information, and I really doubt even rtorrent can seed 35k torrents with 4 GBs of RAM, not to mention rutorrent which is much worse in that sense... So I asked how much of RAM that machine has, and I'm waiting for reply...

i see, well i am rather pleased that this docker image can cope with that many concurrent torrents (according to gregsterb in the above post), but i am also rather surprised, i know rtorrent-ps is probably the best torrent client out there for large scale seeding, but even so, thats pretty amazing.

On 1/16/2020 at 10:17 AM, pyc said:

Well, I can't say for sure. Like I said before, seeding multiple thousand torrents is an extreme sport and some people take it to the limit, nevertheless I would also be suspicious about his info.

I mean, I know that PHP 7 has come a long way but rutorrent is not exactly a lightweight client. In order to seed around 10% of the number of torrents that this Reddit user is claiming to do I had to tweak rtorrent and kernel parameters. The load is also hitting my disks pretty hard (as in, with a 1 Gbps connection even my SSDs are having trouble keeping up with IOPs, they get pretty warm and I already had to replace one of them) ruTorrent actually still works but it's very slow, and when I try to delete Large Files or move files around with File Manager the UI freezes.

rtorrent-ps / pyrocore are indeed still flying and, although I haven't tried it myself, I doubt that I would have any problems seeding twice as many torrents as I currently do.

5k is certainly doable. I've read trustable reports (sysads that runs reputable seedbox hosting services) saying that 10k is achievable with rtorrent.

35k is certainly extreme, and on a low spec machine that would be certainly impressive. Assuming that his claim are true, maybe his usage pattern helps (I assume that he is seeding lots of small infrequently downloaded torrents, probably on a private tracker like RED, so torrents will just be sitting there and rtorrent will be mostly idle). My usage pattern is just the opposite, there is always IO going on, the container is often downloading and seeding as fast as my VPN can handle and rtorrent is working very hard.

Edited by Cat_Seeder

I'm having a problem with the listening port. It's correctly forwarded at the VPN provider and has worked in the past. The port I've set is 60210 and that's the port that the GUI says it's listening on. The status bar says it's closed.

Here's the results of the netstat from the docker container.

[root@50c27a10609f /]# netstat -lntu
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.11:44369        0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9080            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:7777          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9443            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5000            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
udp        0      0 127.0.0.11:54700        0.0.0.0:*
[root@50c27a10609f /]#

I would expect 60210 to show up there, so maybe it's related to that? Help appreciated.

On 10/29/2019 at 8:05 AM, mrbiggmd said:

First off thank you for a great docker image..

QQ... I want to add a new tracker file to my autodl setup.  Where should I place the file in order for it to be recognized by autodl?  I was thinking /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/autodl/*****.tracker but that didn't appear to work.

Thanks.

On 1/15/2020 at 4:18 PM, morreale said:

Did anyone find a solution to this?

normally this would be /.irssi/scripts/AutodlIrssi/trackers/ but that path doesn't exist in the container

Anyone?

On 12/22/2019 at 9:07 PM, dprus said:

Hi all,

I'm having issues where the rTorrent process is failing to start. I've enabled the debug log and I just see multiple:

2019-12-22 18:52:34,820 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:                                                                                                                                                  
[warn] Wait for rTorrent process to start aborted, too many retries                                                                                                                              
2019-12-22 18:52:34,827 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:                                                                                                                                                  
[info] Autodl-irssi not enabled, skipping startup                                                                                                                                                               
2019-12-22 18:52:34,828 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:                                                                                                                                                  
[info] Initialising ruTorrent plugins (checking rTorrent is running)...  

It's not immediately clear to me where I can see log files to tell why rTorrent is failing to start so I'm a bit stuck right now. Would appreciate some help at this point. Thanks!

Has anyone experienced this and were able to solve it?

8 hours ago, morreale said:

Anyone?

I don't have any extra trackers, sorry, however my configuration is at:

• /home/nobody/.irssi (which contains a symlink  pointing to /usr/share/autodl-irssi/AutodlIrssi/) and
  • /home/nobody/.autodl (with a symlink ultimately pointing to /config/autodl/autodl.cfg)

docker exec -it  nginx-proxy_rtorrentvpn_1 sh

sh-5.0# ls -lah /home/nobody/.irssi/
total 32K
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan 11 20:37 .
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan 11 20:18 ..
-rw-r----- 1 nobody users 6.6K Jan 11 20:37 config
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan  7 12:41 scripts

sh-5.0# ls -lah /home/nobody/.irssi/scripts/
total 24K
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan  7 12:41 .
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan 11 20:37 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   36 Jan  7 12:41 AutodlIrssi -> /usr/share/autodl-irssi/AutodlIrssi/
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan  7 12:41 autorun

sh-5.0# ls -lah /home/nobody/.irssi/scripts/autorun
total 16K
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan  7 12:41 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   39 Jan  7 12:41 autodl-irssi.pl -> /usr/share/autodl-irssi/autodl-irssi.pl

sh-5.0# ls -lah /home/nobody/.autodl/
total 32K
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan 11 19:38 .
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   25 Jan 11 19:37 autodl.cfg -> /config/autodl/autodl.cfg
-rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users   69 Jan  7 12:41 autodl.cfg.bak
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody users  11K Jan 18 13:25 AutodlState.xml

sh-5.0# ls -lah  /config/autodl/
total 28K
drwxrwx---+ 2 nobody users 4.0K Feb 28  2019 .
drwxrwx---+ 9 nobody users 4.0K Jan 11 19:52 ..
-rwxrwx---+ 1 nobody users 4.3K Jan 11 18:09 autodl.cfg

Your guess is as good as mine really, but given the folder structure above I would try to mount a volume with custom trackers at /usr/share/autodl-irssi/AutodlIrssi/trackers (e.g., -v /path/to/host/trackers:/usr/share/autodl-irssi/AutodlIrssi/trackers).

Edited by Cat_Seeder
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, DavidAUK said:

I'm having a problem with the listening port. It's correctly forwarded at the VPN provider and has worked in the past. The port I've set is 60210 and that's the port that the GUI says it's listening on. The status bar says it's closed.

Here's the results of the netstat from the docker container.

[root@50c27a10609f /]# netstat -lntu
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.11:44369        0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9080            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:7777          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9443            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5000            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
udp        0      0 127.0.0.11:54700        0.0.0.0:*
[root@50c27a10609f /]#

I would expect 60210 to show up there, so maybe it's related to that? Help appreciated.

Have you manually set port 60210 as your rtorrent port (i.e.,  network.port_range.set = 60210-60210 in rtorrent.rc)? The container will only detect and set ports  automatically for PIA and AirVPN

35 minutes ago, Cat_Seeder said:

Have you manually set port 60210 as your rtorrent port (i.e.,  network.port_range.set = 60210-60210 in rtorrent.rc)? The container will only detect and set ports  automatically for PIA and AirVPN

Yes. That seems to be set up correctly in rtorrent.tc and is shown in the GUI.

14 minutes ago, DavidAUK said:

Yes. That seems to be set up correctly in rtorrent.tc and is shown in the GUI.

Cool, restart your container and, using the IP that your VPN has assigned to your box and port 60210, check if your box is connectable (https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/). If that's good and your trackers show your box as connectable you are done (the port indicator is known  to be a little flaky and give false positives).

Edited by Cat_Seeder
3 minutes ago, DavidAUK said:

No, that doesn't work. Shows as closed.

Does it matter if I connect to the VPN in UDP or TCP protocol?

Depends on your VPN Provider, PIA is fine with both (openVPN connects with whatever protocol you have selected and then the container has to go through a a seris of http calls to obtain a port). Maybe contact your VPN and check if they have changed anything or their side?

Since netstat is not showing the desired port as LISTEN you may also try to dynamically set the port:

rtxmlrpc network.port_range.set '' "60210-60210"
rtxmlrpc dht.port.set '' "60210"

And also IP settings:

rtxmlrpc network.bind_address.set '' "the vpn assigned IP"
rtxmlrpc network.local_address.set '' "the external IP"

16 hours ago, Cat_Seeder said:

I don't have any extra trackers, sorry, however my configuration is at:

• /home/nobody/.irssi (which contains a symlink  pointing to /usr/share/autodl-irssi/AutodlIrssi/) and
  • /home/nobody/.autodl (with a symlink ultimately pointing to /config/autodl/autodl.cfg)

docker exec -it  nginx-proxy_rtorrentvpn_1 sh

sh-5.0# ls -lah /home/nobody/.irssi/
total 32K
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan 11 20:37 .
-rw-r----- 1 nobody users 6.6K Jan 11 20:37 config
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan  7 12:41 scripts

sh-5.0# ls -lah /home/nobody/.irssi/scripts/
total 24K
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan 11 20:37 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   36 Jan  7 12:41 AutodlIrssi -> /usr/share/autodl-irssi/AutodlIrssi/
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan  7 12:41 autorun

sh-5.0# ls -lah /home/nobody/.irssi/scripts/autorun
total 16K
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan  7 12:41 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   39 Jan  7 12:41 autodl-irssi.pl -> /usr/share/autodl-irssi/autodl-irssi.pl

sh-5.0# ls -lah /home/nobody/.autodl/
total 32K
drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users 4.0K Jan 11 19:38 .
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   25 Jan 11 19:37 autodl.cfg -> /config/autodl/autodl.cfg
-rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users   69 Jan  7 12:41 autodl.cfg.bak
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody users  11K Jan 18 13:25 AutodlState.xml

sh-5.0# ls -lah  /config/autodl/
total 28K
drwxrwx---+ 2 nobody users 4.0K Feb 28  2019 .
drwxrwx---+ 9 nobody users 4.0K Jan 11 19:52 ..
-rwxrwx---+ 1 nobody users 4.3K Jan 11 18:09 autodl.cfg

Your guess is as good as mine really, but given the folder structure above I would try to mount a volume with custom trackers at /usr/share/autodl-irssi/AutodlIrssi/trackers (e.g., -v /path/to/host/trackers:/usr/share/autodl-irssi/AutodlIrssi/trackers).

thanks so much.  with this info i was able to fix the issue

6 hours ago, morreale said:

ok on to the next question.

i know you have to edit the rtorrent.rc file to save configuration changes but where do you save changes to the plugins?

for instance the Ratio Groups settings always revert back to default when editing via the gui.

Ratio info should be saved to rtorrent.rc file in your mounted volume (the plugin ultimately issues xmlrpc commands to modify ratio settings in rtorrent itself). If settings are reverting to default my guess would be a problem with either the mounted volume or file permissions.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:41 PM, Cat_Seeder said:

Since netstat is not showing the desired port as LISTEN you may also try to dynamically set the port:

rtxmlrpc network.port_range.set '' "60210-60210"
rtxmlrpc dht.port.set '' "60210"

Thanks for the ideas. Do these lines go in rtorrent.conf or somewhere else?

18 hours ago, DavidAUK said:

Thanks for the ideas. Do these lines go in rtorrent.conf or somewhere else?

Those are shell commands directly inside the container. To open a shell inside your container you can issue the following command in your host:

docker exec -it <container name> sh
Edited by Cat_Seeder
Wrong argument for docker exec command
On 1/19/2020 at 7:14 AM, Cat_Seeder said:

Ratio info should be saved to rtorrent.rc file in your mounted volume (the plugin ultimately issues xmlrpc commands to modify ratio settings in rtorrent itself). If settings are reverting to default my guess would be a problem with either the mounted volume or file permissions.

it does appear to be saving on two servers through restarts now.  not sure why the original settings made did not hold.

hopefully last question....

files are added and downloaded correctly.  they are then moved using AutoTools to the correct location but end up in a "Pausing" state in the GUI and the path is not updated.

i haven't found a definitive cause to this issue.  i have checked permissions / folder owners.  (what are the correct settings?  nobody?

last thing i am leaning to - what should the UMASK during docker creation be set to 000, 1000?, 0? 777? or am I completely on the wrong path

Edited by morreale
  • binhex locked this topic