[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

@binhex I just migrated from ESXi and installed rTorrentVPN today, but I keep getting this below when starting the docker:

2020-02-13 00:15:20,301 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in [CMD-LINE]:1: auth-user-pass (2.4.8)
Use --help for more information.

2020-02-13 00:15:20,302 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] OpenVPN restarted

The weird thing is I've even removed the line in my .ovpn file that has 'auth-user=pass' (and confirmed it was loading that file by changing the name and seeing it in the log), but still got that same error message that mentions auth-user-pass.

Any ideas?

8 hours ago, Coryy said:

@binhex I just migrated from ESXi and installed rTorrentVPN today, but I keep getting this below when starting the docker:

The weird thing is I've even removed the line in my .ovpn file that has 'auth-user=pass' (and confirmed it was loading that file by changing the name and seeing it in the log), but still got that same error message that mentions auth-user-pass.

Any ideas?

please do the following procedure:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

7 hours ago, gnunin said:

Yo, I am unable to access the webui when I have Privoxy running. With 'VPN_ENABLED' - 'no' I have no problems accessing the webui. I'm running the docker on another server in the same network as me, using Portainer. The Openvpn cert. & .ovpn-file works with other containers. 

docker run -d \
    --cap-add=NET_ADMIN \
    -p 9080:9080 \
    -p 9443:9443 \
    -p 8118:8118 \
    --name=rtorrentvpn \
    -v /media/freenas/Mataren/DOWNLOADS/:/data \
    -v /home/docker/rutorrent/config:/config \
    -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \
    -e VPN_ENABLED=yes \
    -e VPN_USER=xxxxxxx \
    -e VPN_PASS=xxxxxxx \
    -e VPN_PROV=pia \
    -e STRICT_PORT_FORWARD=yes \
    -e ENABLE_PRIVOXY=yes \
    -e ENABLE_AUTODL_IRSSI=yes \
    -e ENABLE_RPC2=yes \
    -e ENABLE_RPC2_AUTH=yes \
    -e ENABLE_WEBUI_AUTH=yes \
    -e RPC2_USER=xxx \
    -e RPC2_PASS=xxxxx \
    -e WEBUI_USER=admin \
    -e WEBUI_PASS=xxxx \
    -e LAN_NETWORK=10.1.1.0/24 \
    -e NAME_SERVERS=209.222.18.222,84.200.69.80,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,209.222.18.218,37.235.1.177,84.200.70.40,1.0.0.1 \
    -e DEBUG=false \
    -e PHP_TZ=UTC \
    -e UMASK=000 \
    -e PUID=0 \
    -e PGID=0 \
    binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn

Under LAN_NETWORK I've tried  subnetworks 0, 1, 30 (Server is at 10.1.30.30) to no avail. What am i missing here? 

[debug] VPN IP is 10.37.10.6
[debug] rTorrent IP is 10.37.10.6

please do the following procedure:-

9 minutes ago, WiperWoper said:

Is it possible to have irssi running in a non-root account? Half of the trackers I tried to join to set up autodl-irssi have automatically banned me when trying to connect from the root account.

that is completely up to you, you define what account the application runs as by using the PUID and PGID values, see the readme located here 'notes' section:-

https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/blob/master/README.md

btw bit confused by your statement, how does a torrent tracker know what account the process is running under?!

3 minutes ago, binhex said:

that is completely up to you, you define what account the application runs as by using the PUID and PGID values, see the readme located here 'notes' section:-

https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/blob/master/README.md

btw bit confused by your statement, how does a torrent tracker know what account the process is running under?!

Ah crap, I used PUID=0 and PGID=0 so that must be it. Would it be possible to change it now just changing the environment variables then (I assume I would have to create a new user first)?

And yeah, I don't know how they know but they do, it's always the same message:

14:56 [trackername] -!- You're banned! Email [email protected] with the ERROR
line below for help.
14:56 [trackername] -!- ERROR Closing link:
(root@<ip-redacted>.staticip.rima-tde.net) [K-lined: Don't IRC as
root!]
14:56 -!- Irssi: Connection lost to irc.trackername.net 

1 minute ago, WiperWoper said:

And yeah, I don't know how they know but they do, it's always the same message:

hmm ok, weird!. in any case change those two values, delete the file /config/perms.txt and then start the container, this will reset permissions for all files/folders in /config for the specified puid and pgid.

10 minutes ago, binhex said:

hmm ok, weird!. in any case change those two values, delete the file /config/perms.txt and then start the container, this will reset permissions for all files/folders in /config for the specified puid and pgid.

To clarify, I should first create a new user with "useradd" inside the container right? Because I just tried to simply change the variables and deleting the file and the container would not start. Sorry, new to this whole docker thing 😕

1 minute ago, WiperWoper said:

To clarify, I should first create a new user with "useradd" inside the container right?

no, you dont need to do that, the uid and gid are assigned to the user account, so the user account does not need to be (and shouldnt be) modified.

3 minutes ago, WiperWoper said:

Because I just tried to simply change the variables and deleting the file and the container would not start. Sorry, new to this whole docker thing

i would need to see a log to help identify why that would be, do the following:-

8 minutes ago, binhex said:

i would need to see a log to help identify why that would be, do the following:-

Ok, I think I should have started by mentioning this is a docker in a Synology NAS. I didn't even realize unRAID was an OS and thought this was the general support forum. I don't know if that is relevant or not, but oh well.

The log file doesn't have much info, I won't even need to attach it since other than the ASCII header it's just these two lines:

2020-02-14 17:14:16.550844 [info] System information Linux seedbox 4.4.59+ #24922 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 19 12:13:37 CST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux
2020-02-14 17:14:16.621205 [info] PUID defined as '1'

I changed both PUID and PGID to "1". The thing is I don't really get what I should be putting there. I got that 0 is for root, but that's as far as my understanding goes right now.

Ok, I think I should have started by mentioning this is a docker in a Synology NAS. I didn't even realize unRAID was an OS and thought this was the general support forum. I don't know if that is relevant or not, but oh well.

The log file doesn't have much info, I won't even need to attach it since other than the ASCII header it's just these two lines:

2020-02-14 17:14:16.550844 [info] System information Linux seedbox 4.4.59+ #24922 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 19 12:13:37 CST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux2020-02-14 17:14:16.621205 [info] PUID defined as '1'

I changed both PUID and PGID to "1". The thing is I don't really get what I should be putting there. I got that 0 is for root, but that's as far as my understanding goes right now.

Read the link to the readme again it's explained in there how you work out the values

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, binhex said:

Read the link to the readme again it's explained in there how you work out the values

My bad, I checked again and used the id command to find out the values for all users. There's only one user: root.

So, as per the readme, I used createuser.sh to create a new user account (it says it's for rutorrent but it's only thing related to this is the readme). I then checked the users again with "id" and still only the root user appears.

So... you told me before not to use useradd, and the script is not for this purpose, how do I create a user to run irssi from?

Actually got the list of users with

cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwd
root                                                                            
bin                                                                             
daemon                                                                          
mail                                                                            
ftp                                                                             
http                                                                            
nobody                                                                          
dbus                                                                            
systemd-journal-remote                                                          
systemd-network                                                                 
systemd-resolve                                                                 
systemd-timesync                                                                
systemd-coredump                                                                
uuidd                                                                           
privoxy                                                                         
git                                                                             
aurbuild  

Do I just pick one of these, for example privoxy, even though they don't seem like users for this purpose?

Also, since I deleted perms.txt to reset permissions rutorrent is no longer able to add torrents because of lack of permissions.

Edited by WiperWoper

@WiperWoper, the commands to figure out the UID and GID should be run at the host (your sinology machine), not the container. As a good default pick whatever user that docker is running or that actually owns the folders that you are writing to. More info about uid / gid and docker: https://medium.com/@mccode/understanding-how-uid-and-gid-work-in-docker-containers-c37a01d01cf

I would also start from the scratch, delete all files created before and run a new container with the right IDs.

Edited by Cat_Seeder
25 minutes ago, Cat_Seeder said:

@WiperWoper, the commands to figure out the UID and GID should be run at the host (your sinology machine), not the container. As a good default pick whatever user that docker is running or that actually owns the folders that you are writing to. More info about his / gid and docker: https://medium.com/@mccode/understanding-how-uid-and-gid-work-in-docker-containers-c37a01d01cf

I would also start from the scratch, delete all files created before and run a new container with the right IDs.

Ah, that makes sense. But yeah, I'll have to recreate the container to fix the permissions issue now anyway, so I'll figure out how to find the uid/gid in Synology and do that. Thanks!

Sorry if this has already been answered or spoken about. But im having GUI lock up due to cpu thread getting pinned at 100%. Ive tried the -t option in extra parameters but doesn't seem to make a difference. Have a threadripper 1920x and its just locking one thread at 100% and randomly changes which thread its using. Then the GUI sometimes comes back for a moment or everything crashes and restarts back up. Any ideas?

On 2/14/2020 at 2:20 AM, binhex said:

Yes as I suspected you have some rogue value for vpn_options please remove the value for that env var.

Yep, that was it. Thank you very much!

Just curious, what are the uses of the 'vpn_options' field, and why would it cause an "auth-user-pass" error message?

Yep, that was it. Thank you very much!
Just curious, what are the uses of the 'vpn_options' field, and why would it cause an "auth-user-pass" error message?
Vpn_options is used to pass in additional OpenVPN options, aka parameters.

I'm trying to run this without the VPN option and am having a hard time figuring out how to get a port open on my router for seeding. Is there a guide somewhere showing the correct settings? I've read through this forum but haven't had much luck or I'm missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not having any luck searching this thread for the answer I need. Basically, got everything up and running fine. VPN works. GUI works. But as soon as I add a single torrent, the GUI starts freezing up and becomes unresponsive. If I refresh the GUI, it will sit on "Loading" for a random amount of time. A couple minutes sometimes, others it never seems to load the GUI at all. 

Only changes I've made are the listening port to the one specified by my VPN. 

Is there something simple that I'm not finding in my searches to fix this?

Edit: This appears to be related to "stuck" trackers. Found these threads for reference:

and this github issue:

https://github.com/rakshasa/rtorrent/issues/180

For me, a certain public tracker would immediately freeze the UI as soon as a torrent using that tracker was added. Removing that torrent would fix the issue.

@binhex

Have you ever dealt with this sort of issue in the past?

Edited by drawmonster
  • binhex locked this topic