[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

I have been using PIA with the docker image and it has been going well so fine. But recently I have noticed (since I updated the docker image recently or not sure if this is due to PIA) that my port forward status keeps going red (port closed) after about a few hours since the container started. 

Is this normal? Or is this something on the PIA side where they keep closing an open port after a while?

11 hours ago, Einsteinjr said:

Is there anyone else facing an issue where the port status is unknown?  I haven't changed anything and all-of-a-sudden it has gone back to that.

No VPN and I've confirmed port-forwarding is working.

Thanks in advance.

Same here. Having the same issue. Are you using PIA as VPN?

14 hours ago, Einsteinjr said:

Is there anyone else facing an issue where the port status is unknown?  I haven't changed anything and all-of-a-sudden it has gone back to that.

No VPN and I've confirmed port-forwarding is working.

Thanks in advance.

this will probably be due to the website that the rutorrent plugin uses to do the incoming port check being down, if it shows as yellow triangle then the status is unknown, this does NOT necessarily mean that the incoming port is not accessible.

so either the website that the plugin uses will come back online and thus the indicator will work again, or the developer of the plugin will need to use another site to do the check against.

Hi, posted a while ago about rtorrent pinning a random thread at 100% usage. GUI completly locks up. Still havent managed to sort this, seems to only do it when im downloading. Have a thread ripper 1920x. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction that would be great.

14 hours ago, binhex said:

this will probably be due to the website that the rutorrent plugin uses to do the incoming port check being down, if it shows as yellow triangle then the status is unknown, this does NOT necessarily mean that the incoming port is not accessible.

so either the website that the plugin uses will come back online and thus the indicator will work again, or the developer of the plugin will need to use another site to do the check against.

Great.  Thanks for the quick response.  Has it been reported to the owner of the site?

Great.  Thanks for the quick response.  Has it been reported to the owner of the site?
No idea, I don't even know what site the plugin uses, you would need to look at the source code for the plugin to figure that out first

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm getting a strange issue after pulling the latest image. I made an issue on github as well but this forum seems to be more active.

Essentially, I get two fatal errors on startup and then the container hangs after starting OpenVPN. Doesn't even seem to try and start rtorrent and gets stuck in a loop of timing out on the ping watchdog.

Here's where the two fatal errors pop up:

2020-05-17 11:34:10,420 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to load tun kernel module...

2020-05-17 11:34:10,421 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
modprobe: FATAL: Module tun not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-96-generic

2020-05-17 11:34:10,421 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load tun kernel module using modprobe, trying insmod...

2020-05-17 11:34:10,422 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/tun.ko: No such file or directory

2020-05-17 11:34:10,423 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load tun kernel module, assuming its dynamically loaded

2020-05-17 11:34:10,429 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to load iptable_mangle module...

2020-05-17 11:34:10,430 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
modprobe: FATAL: Module iptable_mangle not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-96-generic

2020-05-17 11:34:10,431 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load iptable_mangle module using modprobe, trying insmod...

2020-05-17 11:34:10,431 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko: No such file or directory

2020-05-17 11:34:10,432 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load iptable_mangle module, you will not be able to connect to the applications Web UI or Privoxy outside of your LAN

I've attached the full (sanitized) startup log to the post as well.

This is using the same exact startup command that I've been using for months with zero issues. I didn't change any config, just pulled the latest image and re-created the container.

docker run -d \
    --restart unless-stopped \
    --cap-add=NET_ADMIN \
    -p 7080:9080 \
    -p 7443:9443 \
    -p 8118:8118 \
    --name=tdrs-rt \
    -v /media/RomeoBravo/tdrs-rt:/data \
    -v /home/papkee/docker-seedbox/rtorrent/config:/config \
    -v /home/papkee/docker-seedbox/rtorrent/themes:/usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/plugins/theme/themes \
    -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \
    -e VPN_ENABLED=yes \
    -e VPN_PROV=custom \
    -e STRICT_PORT_FORWARD=yes \
    -e ENABLE_PRIVOXY=no \
    -e ENABLE_AUTODL_IRSSI=no \
    -e ENABLE_RPC2=yes \
    -e ENABLE_RPC2_AUTH=yes \
    -e ENABLE_WEBUI_AUTH=yes \
    -e RPC2_USER=<> \
    -e RPC2_PASS=<> \
    -e WEBUI_USER=<> \
    -e WEBUI_PASS=<> \
    -e LAN_NETWORK=192.168.0.0/24 \
    -e NAME_SERVERS=209.222.18.222,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8,209.222.18.218,37.235.1.177,1.0.0.1,8.8.4.4 \
    -e DEBUG=false\
    -e PHP_TZ=America/Chicago \
    -e UMASK=002 \
    -e PUID=1003 \
    -e PGID=1003 \
    binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn

Help would be appreciated. I tried deleting all local images of the container and re-pulling everything, but I get the same result either way.

binhex startup failure.txt

15 hours ago, papkee said:

I'm getting a strange issue after pulling the latest image. I made an issue on github as well but this forum seems to be more active.

Essentially, I get two fatal errors on startup and then the container hangs after starting OpenVPN. Doesn't even seem to try and start rtorrent and gets stuck in a loop of timing out on the ping watchdog.

Here's where the two fatal errors pop up:

2020-05-17 11:34:10,420 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to load tun kernel module...

2020-05-17 11:34:10,421 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
modprobe: FATAL: Module tun not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-96-generic

2020-05-17 11:34:10,421 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load tun kernel module using modprobe, trying insmod...

2020-05-17 11:34:10,422 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/tun.ko: No such file or directory

2020-05-17 11:34:10,423 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load tun kernel module, assuming its dynamically loaded

2020-05-17 11:34:10,429 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to load iptable_mangle module...

2020-05-17 11:34:10,430 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
modprobe: FATAL: Module iptable_mangle not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-96-generic

2020-05-17 11:34:10,431 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load iptable_mangle module using modprobe, trying insmod...

2020-05-17 11:34:10,431 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko: No such file or directory

2020-05-17 11:34:10,432 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load iptable_mangle module, you will not be able to connect to the applications Web UI or Privoxy outside of your LAN

I've attached the full (sanitized) startup log to the post as well.

This is using the same exact startup command that I've been using for months with zero issues. I didn't change any config, just pulled the latest image and re-created the container.

docker run -d \
    --restart unless-stopped \
    --cap-add=NET_ADMIN \
    -p 7080:9080 \
    -p 7443:9443 \
    -p 8118:8118 \
    --name=tdrs-rt \
    -v /media/RomeoBravo/tdrs-rt:/data \
    -v /home/papkee/docker-seedbox/rtorrent/config:/config \
    -v /home/papkee/docker-seedbox/rtorrent/themes:/usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/plugins/theme/themes \
    -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \
    -e VPN_ENABLED=yes \
    -e VPN_PROV=custom \
    -e STRICT_PORT_FORWARD=yes \
    -e ENABLE_PRIVOXY=no \
    -e ENABLE_AUTODL_IRSSI=no \
    -e ENABLE_RPC2=yes \
    -e ENABLE_RPC2_AUTH=yes \
    -e ENABLE_WEBUI_AUTH=yes \
    -e RPC2_USER=<> \
    -e RPC2_PASS=<> \
    -e WEBUI_USER=<> \
    -e WEBUI_PASS=<> \
    -e LAN_NETWORK=192.168.0.0/24 \
    -e NAME_SERVERS=209.222.18.222,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8,209.222.18.218,37.235.1.177,1.0.0.1,8.8.4.4 \
    -e DEBUG=false\
    -e PHP_TZ=America/Chicago \
    -e UMASK=002 \
    -e PUID=1003 \
    -e PGID=1003 \
    binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn

Help would be appreciated. I tried deleting all local images of the container and re-pulling everything, but I get the same result either way.

binhex startup failure.txt 10.48 kB · 2 downloads

the snipet above and the txt file attached are not full logs, i will need you to do the following to identify the issue:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

Turns out it was either a permissions issue, a vpn config issue, or a combination of the two.

I re-downloaded my mullvad config files, and made sure everything in the config directory had the correct permissions for the UID/PID of the container to access it. Starts up fine now.

Somehow I've locked my web gui up.  I was fixing the ipmangle error and got it resolved.  But now I can't log in remotely on my reverse proxy.  It works fine when I open the IP directly.  Here are some logs:

Any ideas on what I messed up?

Edited by EC28
On 5/18/2020 at 10:27 AM, EC28 said:

Somehow I've locked my web gui up.  I was fixing the ipmangle error and got it resolved.  But now I can't log in remotely on my reverse proxy.  It works fine when I open the IP directly.  Here are some logs:

Any ideas on what I messed up?

So I created an entirely new rTorrent docker and re-did it all from the ground up.  Even after doing that fresh, the webgui is still broke and won't let me log in.  Anyone got any ideas?

Edited by EC28

Hello. Since this morning I have had an error message in the supervisor.log. Having issues resolving name 'www.google.com', sleeping before retry ... Everything worked fine yesterday. I use AirVPN and the following configuration:

- VPN_ENABLED=yes
      - VPN_PROV=airvpn
      - ENABLE_PRIVOXY=no
      - ENABLE_FLOOD=no
      - ENABLE_AUTODL_IRSSI=no
      - ENABLE_RPC2=yes
      - ENABLE_RPC2_AUTH=yes
      - ENABLE_WEBUI_AUTH=yes
      - RPC2_USER=clusmi
      - RPC2_PASS=MyVeryHARDpASSWORD
      - WEBUI_USER=clusmi
      - WEBUI_PASS=MyVeryHARDpASSWORD
      - LAN_NETWORK=192.168.0.0/24
      - NAME_SERVERS=209.222.18.222,84.200.69.80,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,209.222.18.218,37.235.1.177,84.200.70.40,1.0.0.1
      - DEBUG=false
      - PHP_TZ=Europe/Paris
      - UMASK=000
      - PUID=1500
      - PGID=1500

Do you have an idea?

Txh very much

5 minutes ago, CLusmi said:

ello. Since this morning I have had an error message in the supervisor.log. Having issues resolving name 'www.google.com', sleeping before retry ... Everything worked fine yesterday. I use AirVPN and the following configuration:

known issue, image will be built shortly with the fix.

7 hours ago, binhex said:

known issue, image will be built shortly with the fix.

Would this cause the WebUI to time out?

I just changed my unraid IP and I am trying to work out if my issue is this known issue or something else.

21 hours ago, EC28 said:

So I created an entirely new rTorrent docker and re-did it all from the ground up.  Even after doing that fresh, the webgui is still broke and won't let me log in.  Anyone got any ideas?

To add to this, somehow my nzb360 android app is able to connect to rutorrent over my reverse proxy with no issues, yet I still can't log in to the gui.  Anyone else having the same issue?

I keep getting the following exception in the logs, I think it is related.

When this happens the VPN (PIA) also disconnects and all torrents reset, and then they get a new IP... This happens every 10 minutes or so, I have stopped my rTorrent container for now because having a new IP every 10 minutes doesn't look good to peers.

2020/05/20 00:58:56 [error] 830#830: *292 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 172.17.0.1, server: localhost, request: "POST /RPC2 HTTP/1.1", upstream: "scgi://127.0.0.1:5000", host:

During those 10 minutes when it is connected, things seem to be working and I get 10MB/s up and 20MB/s downloads across all torrents. So something is working...

Edited by glompy
Would this cause the WebUI to time out?

I just changed my unraid IP and I am trying to work out if my issue is this known issue or something else.

In a word, no - you would not be able to access the web UI at all

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• binhex locked this topic