[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

I also get the can't resolve www.google.com issue, but I'm using Mullvad. Tried redownloading my ovpn config, but it doesn't fix it.

Also tried the command line fix you suggested for people using AirVPN, but it does not work either.

I can't for the life of me figure out this AirVPN setup.  I've tried every combination I can think of.  I was hoping to switch to them from Mullvad, but it doesn't seem to be any easier to troubleshoot.  I'm sure the problem is on my end and something I'm doing.

Here's my supervisor log if someone can take a look, thanks!

Edited by EC28
34 minutes ago, EC28 said:

I can't for the life of me figure out this AirVPN setup.  I've tried every combination I can think of.  I was hoping to switch to them from Mullvad, but it doesn't seem to be any easier to troubleshoot.  I'm sure the problem is on my end and something I'm doing.

Here's my supervisor log if someone can take a look, thanks!

https://pastebin.com/PZT0vme2

well rtorrent cannot start, taken from your log:-

2020-05-26 08:52:11,130 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[debug] Waiting for rTorrent process to start...

i would suspect a badly configured rtorrent.rc file, stop the container and delete the file /config/rtorrent/config/rtorrent.rc then restart the container so it can auto re-create the file, if no go then paste another log.

15 hours ago, binhex said:

i would suspect a badly configured rtorrent.rc file, stop the container and delete the file /config/rtorrent/config/rtorrent.rc then restart the container so it can auto re-create the file, if no go then paste another log.

So I deleted it and started it over with the VPN off and it loaded fine.  I turned AirVPN back on and it's the same result, rTorrent won't start.  I'll do it again and post a log when I get home.

9 hours ago, EC28 said:

So I deleted it and started it over with the VPN off and it loaded fine.  I turned AirVPN back on and it's the same result, rTorrent won't start.  I'll do it again and post a log when I get home.

Here's the pastebin:

I had to turn privoxy off as well to get it to load up.  And it still threw these errors over autodl for some reason.  I deleted the config file, deleted the opvn files, and turned off the vpn completely.

Edited by EC28
9 minutes ago, EC28 said:

And it still threw these errors over autodl for some reason.

a known issue with the latest version of php and autodl-irssi, turn it off for now to get a clean log.

https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/issues/137

so the pastebin you have posted a link to shows the log for the vpn turned off and i can see rtorrent now starts, so you can now see the web ui yes?.

Edited by binhex
33 minutes ago, binhex said:

a known issue with the latest version of php and autodl-irssi, turn it off for now to get a clean log.

https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/issues/137

so the pastebin you have posted a link to shows the log for the vpn turned off and i can see rtorrent now starts, so you can now see the web ui yes?.

I can!

Incidentally, the port check plugin is still erroring out though.

Edited by EC28
1 minute ago, EC28 said:

Incidentally, the port check plugin is still erroring out though.

another known issue, it will get sorted.

so now put the ovpn file in the correct place and set vpn to enabled and see what you get, if no go then another pastebin.

1 hour ago, binhex said:

another known issue, it will get sorted.

so now put the ovpn file in the correct place and set vpn to enabled and see what you get, if no go then

Edited by EC28
2 minutes ago, binhex said:

thats a succesful start, im assuming you cannot access the web ui with the vpn enabled, correct?.

if so can you post the ip address of the machine you are using the web browser on in order to attempt access to rutorrent web ui?.

The internal IP or my actual ISP IP?

4 minutes ago, EC28 said:

have you got any of the following:-

1. vlans - if so check config

2. pfsense or other firewall - check its not blocking network connectivity

3. ad blocker - disable on browser

things to try:-

1. try another browser

2. try another host to connect to the web ui

of note this image does not work with macvlan network configuration, if its set to this then please set back to 'bridge'.

2 minutes ago, binhex said:

have you got any of the following:-

1. vlans - if so check config

2. pfsense or other firewall - check its not blocking network connectivity

3. ad blocker - disable on browser

things to try:-

1. try another browser

2. try another host to connect to the web ui

of note this image does not work with macvlan network configuration, if its set to this then please set back to 'bridge'.

No VLANS.

I do have pfsense.  It works and shows the port as correctly forwarded without the VPN.  Could this still be an issues?

I'll double check on the adblocker but it should be off on unraid pages.

The macvlan thing, is that what I set it to to have a reverse proxy?  I use nginxproxymanager for this.  I also have a wireguard connection for remote access.  I wondered if that might not be causing issues. 

It was all working a while back with all of these things being the same, so I'm just not sure what changed.

Well, of all the damnedest things in the world, it decided to just start working.  Only issue I'm having now is that the UDP trackers error out.  That may be a AirVPN issue, as I don't see an option to tell it to let me use both UDP and TCP ports.  Looks like you have to pick one or the other. But what's strange is that the OVPN file I used is a UDP port.  And the port I have forwarded, which shows as open on their website, is both TCP and UDP.  But hey, at least we're working now!

https://pastebin.com/Kp0dgAQG

Now if I can just figure out the ratiocolor plugin.

https://github.com/Gyran/rutorrent-ratiocolor

Edited by EC28
19 hours ago, EC28 said:

Well, of all the damnedest things in the world, it decided to just start working.  Only issue I'm having now is that the UDP trackers error out.  That may be a AirVPN issue, as I don't see an option to tell it to let me use both UDP and TCP ports.  Looks like you have to pick one or the other. But what's strange is that the OVPN file I used is a UDP port.  And the port I have forwarded, which shows as open on their website, is both TCP and UDP.  But hey, at least we're working now!

https://pastebin.com/Kp0dgAQG

Now if I can just figure out the ratiocolor plugin.

https://github.com/Gyran/rutorrent-ratiocolor

I'm having the same issue as you and I am also on AirVPN.

I even tried rolling back a few versions of the docker image, but the same issues persists. I assume it must be AirVPN related.

Generating new OVPN files from AirVPN (trying UDP and TCP) didn't solve the issue either.

I will keep restarting in the hopes that my set up will magically start working too I guess!

I'm not sure if it's airvpn related or not.  I ended up starting from scratch again last night, as the ratiocolor plugin messes the whole docker up.

All I did was use the udp server from airvpn.  I turned off autodl and turned on privoxy and the VPN.  I put my login information for airvpn's website in the vpn fields.  It is working for whatever reason.

20 hours ago, EC28 said:

Only issue I'm having now is that the UDP trackers error out.  That may be a AirVPN issue, as I don't see an option to tell it to let me use both UDP and TCP ports. 

not related to tracker issues, airvpn udp or tcp is only the initial connection to the server, once the vpn tunnel is established then all protocols should be permitted. most likely the issue is related to the tracker banning vpn provider known ip ranges (due to abuse).

Edited by binhex
25 minutes ago, sephallen said:

I'm having the same issue as you and I am also on AirVPN.

I even tried rolling back a few versions of the docker image, but the same issues persists. I assume it must be AirVPN related.

Generating new OVPN files from AirVPN (trying UDP and TCP) didn't solve the issue either.

I will keep restarting in the hopes that my set up will magically start working too I guess!

EC28's issue was not related to airvpn, i could see a tunnel was established but he was unable to access the web ui, im not sure of the reason why this has now been resolved for him but i doubt its vpn provider related.

please do the following:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

Edited by binhex
3 minutes ago, binhex said:

EC28's issue was not related to airvpn, i could see a tunnel was established but he was unable to access the web ui, im not sure of the reason why this has now been resolved for him but i doubt its vpn provider related.

please do the following:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

When EC28 mentioned they had started from scratch, it reminded me that I had done the same over the weekend in order to try to fix the timeouts I often get (particularly when downloading larger files), but alas it didn't fix the issue.

However, I also changed a setting in my rtorrent.rc and hadn't restarted yet - turns out the value was invalid and that's what the issue was. I have now corrected it and everything is working fine again.

So AirVPN is a red herring - thanks for the help and sorry for wasting your time!

After the latest update, it doesn't seem to be working right.

[29.05.2020 06:05:16] No connection to rTorrent. Check if it is really running. Check $scgi_port and $scgi_host settings in config.php and scgi_port in rTorrent configuration file.

Is what the webui displays

And the logs for the container shows that it keeps looping over and over

2020-05-29 06:03:58,332 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stderr output:
2020/05/29 06:03:58 [error] 770#770: *5 connect() failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream, client: 192.168.50.130, server: localhost, request: "POST /RPC2 HTTP/1.1", upstream: "scgi://127.0.0.1:5000", host: "192.168.50.130:9080"

2020-05-29 06:04:08,539 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent not running

2020-05-29 06:04:08,540 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Removing any rTorrent session lock files left over from the previous run...

2020-05-29 06:04:08,544 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to start rTorrent...

2020-05-29 06:04:08,546 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
Script started, output log file is '/home/nobody/typescript'.

2020-05-29 06:04:08,575 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
Script done.

2020-05-29 06:04:12,642 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent process started
[info] Waiting for rTorrent process to start listening on port 5000...

2020-05-29 06:04:12,653 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent process listening on port 5000

2020-05-29 06:04:12,653 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Initialising ruTorrent plugins (checking rTorrent is running)...

2020-05-29 06:04:12,663 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent running
[info] Initialising ruTorrent plugins (checking nginx is running)...

2020-05-29 06:04:12,674 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] nginx running
[info] Initialising ruTorrent plugins...

2020-05-29 06:04:13,258 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:

2020-05-29 06:04:13,878 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] ruTorrent plugins initialised

2020-05-29 06:04:43,907 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent not running

2020-05-29 06:04:43,907 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Removing any rTorrent session lock files left over from the previous run...

2020-05-29 06:04:43,911 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to start rTorrent...

2020-05-29 06:04:43,912 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
Script started, output log file is '/home/nobody/typescript'.

2020-05-29 06:04:43,942 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
Script done.

2020-05-29 06:04:48,004 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent process started
[info] Waiting for rTorrent process to start listening on port 5000...

2020-05-29 06:04:48,015 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent process listening on port 5000

2020-05-29 06:04:48,015 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Initialising ruTorrent plugins (checking rTorrent is running)...

2020-05-29 06:04:48,025 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent running
[info] Initialising ruTorrent plugins (checking nginx is running)...

2020-05-29 06:04:48,038 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] nginx running
[info] Initialising ruTorrent plugins...

2020-05-29 06:04:48,555 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:

2020-05-29 06:04:49,184 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] ruTorrent plugins initialised

2020-05-29 06:04:58,330 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stderr output:
2020/05/29 06:04:58 [error] 770#770: *13 connect() failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream, client: 192.168.50.130, server: localhost, request: "POST /RPC2 HTTP/1.1", upstream: "scgi://127.0.0.1:5000", host: "192.168.50.130:9080"

I'm using binghex-DelugeVPN with no issue and I'm also trying to use this docker. I changed the ports not to cause a conflict. The container  starts up fine but I'm unable to access the web GUI. I get an Unable to connect error and the logs keep showing this message:

/usr/local/bin/init.sh: line 346: /config/nginx/security/rpc2_pass: No such file or directory

I'm also unable to access the container console. I see an error flash right away but i can't see what's saying

Can both containers be used at the same time?

5 hours ago, bugster said:

I'm using binghex-DelugeVPN with no issue and I'm also trying to use this docker. I changed the ports not to cause a conflict. The container  starts up fine but I'm unable to access the web GUI. I get an Unable to connect error and the logs keep showing this message:

I'm also unable to access the container console. I see an error flash right away but i can't see what's saying

Can both containers be used at the same time?

yes you can use both at the same time

your situation may be what is addressed in the third post of this thread??

(sorry it wont let me post the info and link)

• binhex locked this topic