[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

On 5/29/2020 at 12:08 PM, wirenut said:

yes you can use both at the same time

your situation may be what is addressed in the third post of this thread??

(sorry it wont let me post the info and link)

You mean this?

As from 15th of January 2020, if the web ui and/or rpc2 password have not been defined (defined via environment variables) then the password(s) will be randomised and no longer set to 'rutorrent'.

That's not my problem I can't get to the gui at all

On 11/12/2016 at 2:41 PM, binhex said:

If you want to modify things like incoming port, enabling/disabling dht, and folders for incomplete/complete downloads then you will have to modify the rtorrent config file, this is located in /config/rtorrent/config/rtorrent.rc please make sure you use something like notepad++ (not notepad) to prevent windows line endings getting added.

Hi, I can't use port 6881 so looking to change the port. I went to rtorrent.rc in the config folder but don't see anywhere to change the incoming port connections (to 7881-7999). How can I change it? Do I need to change anything in the container page (and if so, what do I need to change/add)? Thank you!

1 hour ago, puncho said:

Hi, I can't use port 6881 so looking to change the port. I went to rtorrent.rc in the config folder but don't see anywhere to change the incoming port connections (to 7881-7999). How can I change it? Do I need to change anything in the container page (and if so, what do I need to change/add)? Thank you!

You are looking for network.port_range.set, for further information check rtorrent guide at https://rtorrent-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/cookbook.html

The container README.md also has a sample configuration for AirVPN demonstrating how to change incoming ports: https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/blob/master/README.md

• Like 1
On 5/28/2020 at 8:53 AM, binhex said:

not related to tracker issues, airvpn udp or tcp is only the initial connection to the server, once the vpn tunnel is established then all protocols should be permitted. most likely the issue is related to the tracker banning vpn provider known ip ranges (due to abuse).

Ah, good to know. Thanks again!

For some reason my container crashed whilst I was asleep. Wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, tons of RAM and HDD space left too.

I woke up with a 403 error.

Log: cryptobin.co/8856i3f9

Password: 6BNny/lSO+lQhS7Obe583ugivfpv44Ylq8KtjCsXrIYlFWfRL3cXOh0rYrU393Em

Also does anyone have any information on how to solve this weird thing that started happening out of nowhere about a week ago?

Right click brings up the Firefox context menu in front of the menu for rTorrent.

y6Kl6Xz.png

Edited by plantsandbinary
2 hours ago, plantsandbinary said:

I woke up with a 403 error.

Log: cryptobin.co/8856i3f9

nothing out of the ordinary in that log tbh, i noted the stat plugin issue but that is a know problem with php and isnt related to the crash. im assuming the crash must of been a soft crash, as this image will recover from a hard crash of rtorrent/rutorrent, not really much that can be gleaned from the log im afraid.

I had 800+ GB download mysteriously reported to a tracker, even though I only seed from this box. Is there anything you can help me with in diagnosing this? I stopped the container and moved everything to qBittorrent to make sure it doesn't get worse, but it's practically unusable with the number I'm seeding.

14 minutes ago, psycho_asylum said:

I had 800+ GB download mysteriously reported to a tracker, even though I only seed from this box. Is there anything you can help me with in diagnosing this? I stopped the container and moved everything to qBittorrent to make sure it doesn't get worse, but it's practically unusable with the number I'm seeding.

Have a look at nginx logs for suspicious activity, particularly requests to /RPC2 from unusual IP addresses. Make sure to secure both ruTorrent and RPC2 with strong passwords (or disable RPC2 entirely I'd you don't need it). Don't use the defaulr auto-generated passwords as they are logged in plain text. If you can, do not expose anything over the internet (you can use a VPN to access your box). If you need to expose rutorrent do the internet then make sure to use a hardened reverse proxy (nginx-proxy / traefick, etc), Https only, with a real certificate (e.g., Let's Encrypt) and a strict fail2Ban configuration.

Having said all that, keep in mind that there are vectors of attack other than your torrent client (e.g., if someone got access to your private tracker username / password somehow, or if one of the private tracker admins messed up / if your own machine was compromised, etc).

I know that this is generic advice, but I hope it helps.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:31 AM, Cat_Seeder said:

I know that this is generic advice, but I hope it helps.

I appreciate it. 

I don't have the container accessible at all from outside. The only thing I had accessible was a Windows 10 VM, but I disabled that port months ago in favor of using a VPN to get into it. The only port I have open currently on my network is for Plex. 

I should also mention that this happened just a day after firing up this container.  I previously had everything in qBittorrent but it is really slow. 

edit: I checked my logs in UniFi and it reports less than 6GB of traffic over the internet last night to/from my Unraid box.

edit2: https://github.com/rakshasa/rtorrent/issues/561  It may have something to do with this. I'll work with the tracker admin.

edit3: the tracker admin stated that they do not have this issue as described.

edit4: We discovered that it was a derivative of the issue above in rtorrent. 

Edited by psycho_asylum
On 5/16/2020 at 12:41 AM, Calpulz said:

Hi, posted a while ago about rtorrent pinning a random thread at 100% usage. GUI completly locks up. Still havent managed to sort this, seems to only do it when im downloading. Have a thread ripper 1920x. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction that would be great.

I have the exact same issue. rtorrent is more or less frozen whenever it downloads. 

Did you resolve it? (I have a thread ripper as well)

Edited by Fidreus
19 hours ago, Fidreus said:

I have the exact same issue. rtorrent is more or less frozen whenever it downloads. 

Maybe I actually found a workaround. I pinned some cores 4+4HT to the container and now it seems to behave much better.

Edited by Fidreus
20 hours ago, Fidreus said:

1 hour ago, Fidreus said:

Maybe I actually found a workaround. I pinned some cores 4+4HT to the container and now it seems to behave much better.

No i still havent found a solution. I have kind of just put up with it. I will try what you suggested and assign some cores to the container.

UPDATE:

So far so good!! The best ive been able to get is about 10 or 15 minutes before GUI locks up or the container crashes and restarts. Done as you suggested and assigned 4+4HT to the container and i have had the GUI up for 40 minutes now with no crash, reset or freeze. No threads pinned at 100%. Amazing, thanks for figuring that out, i never thought of trying something so simple. Had this issue for months and been driving me crazy!! I wonder why having access to all cores causes this issue though? Seems like it might be something relating to threadrippers.

Edited by Calpulz
Add update
2 hours ago, Calpulz said:

UPDATE:

So far so good!! The best ive been able to get is about 10 or 15 minutes before GUI locks up or the container crashes and restarts. Done as you suggested and assigned 4+4HT to the container and i have had the GUI up for 40 minutes now with no crash, reset or freeze. No threads pinned at 100%. Amazing, thanks for figuring that out, i never thought of trying something so simple. Had this issue for months and been driving me crazy!! I wonder why having access to all cores causes this issue though? Seems like it might be something relating to threadrippers.

I was thinking what make threadrippers special - many cores.

I actually think this is a multi-core issue, maybe it isn't that common to have 64 cores available to rtorrent? :D

7 hours ago, Fidreus said:

I was thinking what make threadrippers special - many cores.

I actually think this is a multi-core issue, maybe it isn't that common to have 64 cores available to rtorrent? :D

I had a thought, maybe its due to the threadripper having multiple numa nodes. So restricting the cores for the container keeps it inside a single numa node instead of having access to all cores across multiple numa nodes?

I know some games dont like working across numa nodes (think gta is one of them). Might be completly wrong as i dont fully understand it.

EDIT: After more digging I see its related to the v5 vs v7 of php in the autodl plugins, oh well, guess I'll have to hope that they update their php, for now Ill just have to restart the docker every so often

Been having an issue where the docker locks up, its usually a couple days in. While locked up it just repeats this over and over

value of type bool in /usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/plugins/autodl-irssi/getConf.php on line 54PHP message: PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/plugins/autodl-irssi/getConf.php on line 61" while reading response header from upstream, client: 172.17.0.1, server: localhost, request: "GET /plugins/autodl-irssi/getlines.php?cid=192298053&_=1591667039178 HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:7777", host: "192.168.0.251:9080", referrer: "http://192.168.0.251:9080/"

2020-06-08 21:44:39,679 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stderr output:
2020/06/08 21:44:39 [error] 915#915: *8403 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/plugins/autodl-irssi/getConf.php on line 54PHP message: PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/plugins/autodl-irssi/getConf.php on line 61" while reading response header from upstream, client: 172.17.0.1, server: localhost, request: "GET /plugins/autodl-irssi/getlines.php?cid=192298053&_=1591667039179 HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:7777", host: "192.168.0.251:9080", referrer: "http://192.168.0.251:9080/"

2020-06-08 21:44:40,679 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stderr output:
2020/06/08 21:44:40 [error] 915#915: *8405 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/plugins/autodl-irssi/getConf.php on line 54PHP message: PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/plugins/autodl-irssi/getConf.php on line 61" while reading response header from upstream, client: 172.17.0.1, server: localhost, request: "GET /plugins/autodl-irssi/getlines.php?cid=192298053&_=1591667039181 HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:7777", host: "192.168.0.251:9080", referrer: "http://192.168.0.251:9080/"

2020-06-08 21:44:41,679 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stderr output:
2020/06/08 21:44:41 [error] 915#915: *8405 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/plugins/autodl-irssi/getConf.php on line 54PHP message: PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/plugins/autodl-irssi/getConf.php on line 61" while reading response header from upstream, client: 172.17.0.1, server: localhost, request: "GET /plugins/autodl-irssi/getlines.php?cid=192298053&_=1591667039182 HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:7777", host: "192.168.0.251:9080", referrer: "http://192.168.0.251:9080/"

2020-06-08 21:44:42,678 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stderr output:
2020/06/08 21:44:42 [error] 915#915: *8405 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/plugins/autodl-irssi/getConf.php on line 54PHP message: PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/share/webapps/rutorrent/plugins/autodl-irssi/getConf.php on line 61" while reading response header from upstream, client: 172.17.0.1, server: localhost, request: "GET /plugins/autodl-irssi/getlines.php?cid=192298053&_=1591667039183 HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:7777", host: "192.168.0.251:9080", referrer: "http://192.168.0.251:9080/"

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by kryptonite93

Why am I not seen as connectable? I've port forwarded the relevant port in my VPN provider. They have confirmed that it is open.

I set ruTorrent to ex. port: 30514-30514 (only this port as it is the one I opened, and btw this obviously is only an example port here)

But for some reason I am not shown as connectable. Do I need to edit something in the container config?

My container config looks like this:

Untitled.png

Edited by plantsandbinary
22 hours ago, plantsandbinary said:

But for some reason I am not shown as connectable.

if you are going by the indicator at the bottom of rutorrent then ignore it for now, the plugin for the incoming port checker is broken, there is a fix done but i need to pull down from master branch to get the fix.

On 6/10/2020 at 4:05 AM, binhex said:

if you are going by the indicator at the bottom of rutorrent then ignore it for now, the plugin for the incoming port checker is broken, there is a fix done but i need to pull down from master branch to get the fix.

Is there a way to tell what commit version of rutorrent has been pulled? I posted a question above trying to figure out if a fix is included in 3.9 or only the beta.

On 6/10/2020 at 12:05 PM, binhex said:

No I meant other clients could not see me as connectable. I fixed it, it was a problem with my .ovpn config file But yeah that plugin has been broken for years.

No I meant other clients could not see me as connectable. I fixed it, it was a problem with my .ovpn config file But yeah that plugin has been broken for years.
Years? It was working fine up until about a month ago.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

On 6/19/2020 at 10:54 PM, psycho_asylum said:

The latest version wouldn't start for me, the ruTorrent UI just gives back:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'flabel_cont' of undefined

I reverted back to the one from 24 days ago and it loaded up just fine. I can't find anything else in the logs.

same issue here (reverted to binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn:rtorrent-ps-1.1.r54.ga787dd9-1-08)

Edited by morreale
On 6/20/2020 at 4:54 AM, psycho_asylum said:

The latest version wouldn't start for me, the ruTorrent UI just gives back:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'flabel_cont' of undefined

I reverted back to the one from 24 days ago and it loaded up just fine. I can't find anything else in the logs.

found this:- https://github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/issues/2041

looks to be a caching issue, try clearing your browsers cache.

• Like 1
  • binhex locked this topic