[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

On 8/2/2020 at 10:56 AM, dewlite said:

My VPN passport is stamped all over. I wonder if PIA is going to get themselves sorted out.  Are there any other providers that have the ability to do Port Forwarding? Curious about their Wireguard implementation once they get it figured out but assume we would need to use a separate container and route everything through it.   

If it isnt said enough, thank you for the work you do on all of this. 

The Toronto PIA server seems to be working well for me, right now at least.  I had problems with a bunch of others.

I'm getting a lot of rutorrent timeout errors and login issues with my image.  I have about 1100 torrents running currently.  I know stability is an issue with rutorrent historically.  I've even read and attempted some of the fixes on the tuning website:  Performance Tuning

I've not been able to find anything that really solves this problem yet.  I saw one person recommend the arch-rtorrentvpn image as being more stable.  Debating about giving that a go.

Are there any things you guys or anyone has been able to do to manage a high torrent load and still have rutorrent be functional?  I'd like to go even high in torrent count, but until it's stable I know it will be an issue.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, EC28 said:

I'm getting a lot of rutorrent timeout errors and login issues with my image.  I have about 1100 torrents running currently.  I know stability is an issue with rutorrent historically.  I've even read and attempted some of the fixes on the tuning website:  Performance Tuning

I've not been able to find anything that really solves this problem yet.  I saw one person recommend the arch-rtorrentvpn image as being more stable.  Debating about giving that a go.

Are there any things you guys or anyone has been able to do to manage a high torrent load and still have rutorrent be functional?  I'd like to go even high in torrent count, but until it's stable I know it will be an issue.  Thanks!

I get many "Request to rTorrent has timed out" errors as well, but at least now that I'm on Toronto PIA nothing seems to actually crash..... I haven't been able to figure out whether I should worry about these errors or not. I'm running around 700 torrents currently and it seems to be OK. Would love to know how to tune to max number of torrents and eliminate errors.

28 minutes ago, kirk8999 said:

I get many "Request to rTorrent has timed out" errors as well, but at least now that I'm on Toronto PIA nothing seems to actually crash..... I haven't been able to figure out whether I should worry about these errors or not. I'm running around 700 torrents currently and it seems to be OK. Would love to know how to tune to max number of torrents and eliminate errors.

From my understanding, rTorrent itself isn't actually crashing and is running fine behind the scenes.  ruTorrent is the part having issues.  But when you can't see rTorrent, it's a problem.  (I know you can use the actual rTorrent to see things, but ruTorrent is 1000x easier.)

PIA (Switzerland) connects and ip confirmed to be there. When rutorrent saying port open does not seem to have an impact on speed, but most the time it has port open. My internet is 200/20, so rtorrent config has bandwith limited to 100 down/10 up (12500/1250). In waves ill have full connections at limits, but most the time up/down is less than 1 MB (50+ active torrents or 2). Seeing stuff about PIA transitioning and udp problems, but i have connections (most the time) just speed is almost always minuscule. In the case that this is a disk IO issue, im planning on adding 2 user shares to the container with 1 being cache only (downloading) and the other being normal both (seeding). Have not started this yet because it seems less likely to be the issue. 

On 8/5/2020 at 2:32 PM, EC28 said:

From my understanding, rTorrent itself isn't actually crashing and is running fine behind the scenes.  ruTorrent is the part having issues.  But when you can't see rTorrent, it's a problem.  (I know you can use the actual rTorrent to see things, but ruTorrent is 1000x easier.)

Have had a few issues with seedbox where rutorrent crashes and rtorrent gets stuck, so had to kill and start instead of restart. With this container the few times i have crashed rutorrent it did a similar thing so i had to stop container and then start it again and wait for a longer start time (was like 20 minutes). Monitoring the supervisor log showed that it was working on it tho. Main thing that ive done that has caused crashes so far is dumping too many torrent files into the watch dir at the same time.

Regarding the endpoints, is it possible that this is similar to a hostname issue that happened with nyc one a few weeks back?

The image was stable until it was restarted, so I'm almost positive it's a DNS issue. If it's a DNS issue, if we knew the european locations IP addresses?, could we modify the config file to use that instead of the hostname? That being said; spain.privateinternetaccess.com for example does resolve to a ping, so maybe it's not that. For now I guess everyone is on Canada.

I saw someone else post this same error a few days ago, but not additional messages were related to it.

I've been running rTorrentvpn under a docker container for months now with zero problems. I updated earlier this morning to the latest image and restarted and now my ruTorrent web won't open up correctly. I know my rtorrent client is running, I've got 1000+ torrents seeding and I can see them validated on the trackers without problems.

[07.08.2020 13:53:11] WebUI started.

[07.08.2020 13:53:25] JS error: [http://rutorrent:[email protected]:9080/ : 5145] Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'flabel_cont' of undefined

Log attached.

supervisord rs5050.log

Is FLOOD WEbUI still available in this docker?  seems I can't have it running.  Seems to be removed?
Flood was removed about a year ago and unfortunately will not be re added, this is due to constant breakage on install which became a real pita.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hey guys, i've been searching this post for pages and pages but i just can't seem to figure out how to set the port range for Rtorrent.

I know that changing the port on the webui won't permanently change the port since it only changes the port for that instance. Everytime i change the port in the webui and restart rutorrent the port reverts back.

So i went into the rtorrent.rc file and tried setting the port as follows:

#network.port_range.set = 49152-65535
#port_range = 49152-65535

i also tried with a space:

# network.port_range.set = 49152-65535
# port_range = 49152-65535

However this didn't work neither...

So i tried setting port in the docker settings itself with the same variables:

NETWORK.PORT_RANGE.SET = 49152-65535

PORT_RANGE = 49152-65535

still no success.

What am i doing wrong guys? can anyone help?

I have DHT disabled since my private trackers require me to do so.
I'm also using OPENVPN, not Airvpn.

Thanks in advance ❤️

rtorrent port img.jpg

Edited by wookieleader
36 minutes ago, wookieleader said:

Hey guys, i've been searching this post for pages and pages but i just can't seem to figure out how to set the port range for Rtorrent.

I know that changing the port on the webui won't permanently change the port since it only changes the port for that instance. Everytime i change the port in the webui and restart rutorrent the port reverts back.

So i went into the rtorrent.rc file and tried setting the port as follows:

#network.port_range.set = 49152-65535
#port_range = 49152-65535

i also tried with a space:

# network.port_range.set = 49152-65535
# port_range = 49152-65535

However this didn't work neither...

So i tried setting port in the docker settings itself with the same variables:

NETWORK.PORT_RANGE.SET = 49152-65535

PORT_RANGE = 49152-65535

still no success.

What am i doing wrong guys? can anyone help?

I have DHT disabled since my private trackers require me to do so.
I'm also using OPENVPN, not Airvpn.

Thanks in advance ❤️

rtorrent port img.jpg

one thing is that # comments out the line, so if you know that is the right range then remove the #

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

one thing is that # comments out the line, so if you know that is the right range then remove the #

So stupid of me..

Thanks for responding!

It worked, the port is now changed on rutorrent but it still shows port closed.

I think this has to do because rtorrent is running behind a VPN?

is there a fix for this or is it too complicated?

Regards,

29 minutes ago, wookieleader said:

So stupid of me..

Thanks for responding!

It worked, the port is now changed on rutorrent but it still shows port closed.

I think this has to do because rtorrent is running behind a VPN?

is there a fix for this or is it too complicated?

Regards,

does your vpn have port forwarding? i use pia and sometimes pia and rtorrent will pick the same port and it will show open, but most the time it shows closed. If i found the list of pia port ranges again (but was old list so prob bad) i would set my range to match, but be it pia or something else, port open or closed i get the same connection where it will be full speed for a while now and then but most the time it is <1m up/down. i did not buy pia for this, already had it.

• Thanks 1
On 8/12/2020 at 9:10 AM, stormense said:

Cant get air vpn to work with Unraid. I think is the port forwarding and how I put it in editing.

Answer my self : On Air VPN website go to The Client Arena and generate ovpn-file, in my case AirVPN_Sweden_UDP-443.ovpn, and put it here:

/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/openvpn

The client start but not the WebUI: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Edited by stormense
22 hours ago, stormense said:

Answer my self : On Air VPN website go to The Client Arena and generate ovpn-file, in my case AirVPN_Sweden_UDP-443.ovpn, and put it here:

/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/openvpn

The client start but not the WebUI: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

End of log: /usr/local/bin/init.sh: line 346: /config/nginx/security/rpc2_pass: No such file or directory

Can only get the .ovpn file from the generator.

--------- EDIT--------

Never mind, I get it to work with Binhex Deluge with same settings, but I like Rutorrent way better.

Edited by stormense
On 8/7/2020 at 7:11 PM, rs5050 said:

I saw someone else post this same error a few days ago, but not additional messages were related to it.

I've been running rTorrentvpn under a docker container for months now with zero problems. I updated earlier this morning to the latest image and restarted and now my ruTorrent web won't open up correctly. I know my rtorrent client is running, I've got 1000+ torrents seeding and I can see them validated on the trackers without problems.

[07.08.2020 13:53:11] WebUI started.

[07.08.2020 13:53:25] JS error: [http://rutorrent:[email protected]:9080/ : 5145] Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'flabel_cont' of undefined

Log attached.

supervisord rs5050.log 20.5 kB · 0 downloads

I had the same issue after update.  Browser (Vivaldi) would not load the client and had this JS error.  It worked fine in Chromium, and was fine after I unpinned the tab in Vivaldi and reloaded the page, ensuring adblock+tracker protection was off.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:46 PM, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

does your vpn have port forwarding? i use pia and sometimes pia and rtorrent will pick the same port and it will show open, but most the time it shows closed. If i found the list of pia port ranges again (but was old list so prob bad) i would set my range to match, but be it pia or something else, port open or closed i get the same connection where it will be full speed for a while now and then but most the time it is <1m up/down. i did not buy pia for this, already had it.

I also get a very good download speed with the port closed, but i am wondering if the upload speed could be better for seeding if the port is open.

I use NordVPN but i just googled it, they do not currently offer port forwarding, so i guess it's not possible.

Thanks for thinking with me on this, and your help!

Regards,

Newbyleader

Hello there,

First thanks to binhex for his work. I've found this image the easiest way to setup secured rtorrent container in a blink.
Everything is well explained but I'm stuck at the reverse proxy stage. I have an almost working setup, able to connect to local_ip:port from a local computer, i'm facing a 404 when using domain.tld/rutorrent and hitting my nginx reverse proxy.

I've found the tip about php file (nginx into the container and nginx as reverse proxy). 

I've just remarked one thing that could explain I've misconfigured something (unfortunately I don't have logs on this computer ; but I could provide them later), it tries to hit path_to_rutorrent/rutorrent/rutorrent/. 

Will be glad to read something I've missed into documentation that could help to solve this issue. Note that i have linuxserver/letencrypt + organizr-v2 + tautulli + ombi working well with sso enabled so I consider my nginx configuration maybe not so bad. 

Thank you for any ideas, 

• Like 1

Hi!

Recently (started maybe a few weeks ago, but can't remember updating the docker) my setup stopped tracking Finished status of torrents. Finished column (from plugin seedingtime) is empty for new torrents, history tab does not track finished status and therefore Pushbullet events for finished does not work. 

Anyone noticed the same or know of a fix? 

I tried to update to latest docker revision today (ruTorrent 3.10) but the issue persists.

22 hours ago, erqzor said:

Hello there,

First thanks to binhex for his work. I've found this image the easiest way to setup secured rtorrent container in a blink.
Everything is well explained but I'm stuck at the reverse proxy stage. I have an almost working setup, able to connect to local_ip:port from a local computer, i'm facing a 404 when using domain.tld/rutorrent and hitting my nginx reverse proxy.

I've found the tip about php file (nginx into the container and nginx as reverse proxy). 

I've just remarked one thing that could explain I've misconfigured something (unfortunately I don't have logs on this computer ; but I could provide them later), it tries to hit path_to_rutorrent/rutorrent/rutorrent/. 

Will be glad to read something I've missed into documentation that could help to solve this issue. Note that i have linuxserver/letencrypt + organizr-v2 + tautulli + ombi working well with sso enabled so I consider my nginx configuration maybe not so bad. 

Thank you for any ideas, 

Hello, 

I've found my issue, so I'm sharing the issue resolution and some tips for beyond.

1- You must follow the installation guide (strictly, yes!, seriously, strict).
2- You must ensure the vpn settings are correct on server side (I've waste a lot of time, when the solution was into the .ovpn file)
3- You have to dig supervisor.log to find issue.

4- I didn't figure out how to make sso working between rtorrent/rutorrent - organizr (dunno if in fact its possible)
5- Bonus : if you are facing torrent client issue to connect to private tracker, double check your vpn settings, the issue is there (certainly ssl connection breaks; check vpn provider docs; adjust mtu)

Thank you binhex for the amazing work. 

On 8/13/2020 at 6:46 PM, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

Honestly i've the same case here, image is running fine, port is forwarded (confirmed by port check from vpn provider with curl). Still red and closed. But it's working fine on download (dunno for up btw). I just don't know if it matters to have the green mark in rutorrent gui that tells you the port is open. I really don't know how it works inside the container. Honestly i've seen this green while I have my config broken (couldn't ssl private tracker by example) so afaik it doesn't tell you rtorrent is working it just tells you a port is open or not to listen connection but it's within the container... so... what does it test because it can't really test vpn port isn't it ? 

12 hours ago, erqzor said:

I just don't know if it matters to have the green mark in rutorrent gui that tells you the port is open

it doesn't matter whatsoever, if you have confirmed the port is open using an external website then thats all the confirmation you should need.

having said that i have no issues at all with the built in indicator in rutorrent and it is always green, unless PIA has a wobble, in which case it may go red temporarily before my script kicks it and corrects the issue (restarts openvpn).

12 hours ago, erqzor said:

so afaik it doesn't tell you rtorrent is working it just tells you a port is open or not to listen connection but it's within the container... so... what does it test because it can't really test vpn port isn't it ? 

it tests the incoming port as defined in rutorrent, it uses an external website (https://portchecker.co) to do the check (web scrape) and if the port is open then it is green, if not then its red, and if it cannot contact the website then it is orange, i use the same website to do my own internal check, and it always reports the correct status to me.

• binhex locked this topic