[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

I've been trying to figure out the port forwarding situation for a while but not having any luck.  I use TorGuard which has facilities for port forwarding (you go on their customer portal and request a port to be forwarded for a given VPN server, then configure your ovpn file to hit that server so that with your credentials, they know to set up the forwarding on connect).  I've worked with their support team to validate that traffic is flowing through the forwarded port, but still, open port checker websites report the port is closed (although weirdly, if I hit a random port, I get an answer right away, but with my targeted port it takes a longer time to determine --as if it is timing out).  In any case, @binhex I'm not sure what's the best way to debug.  Privoxy works, torrent files work, but magnet links relying on DHT do not.  rtorrent also gives me MUCH higher speeds for the torrents that DO work vs deluge (saturating my internet bandwidth), so I really want to get this to work.  I'm running this on a QNAP NAS.  Is it possible that the iptables settings or the ip route are doing funny things?

IMPORTANT - Move from rtorrent-ps to rTorrent

Due to the following reasons the next docker image release will be rTorrent NOT rtorrent-ps:-

• Stagnant development - Development has pretty much stopped for rtorrent-ps (stuck on 0.9.6), whilst it still progresses on with rTorrent (0.9.8), this leads to a multitude of bugfixes identified in rTorrent not being applied to rtorrent-ps.
  • Issues building pyrocore - There are issues when compiling pyrocore during docker build which leads to more development work by me, i would rather ditch this in favour of a simpler build with only rTorrent to compile and support.

I realise this may upset certain users who rely on pyrocore and/or rtorrent-ps, but if you want to use pyrocore and rtorrent-ps then you will have to use an existing tagged release, latest will be moving on (i'm afraid i simply don't have enough time to support both).

This has now been reversed back to rtorrent-ps due to issues around public trackers that have been introduced into rtorrent 0.9.8, i will keep an ee on the issue but for now we are back to rtorrent-ps with pyrocore.

Just updated this container about 20 mins ago and now i cant get the client to load.  Just loops in the log.

Lots of messages like:

2021-02-11 11:24:53,221 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[warn] Wait for rTorrent process to start aborted, too many retries
[warn] Failed to start rTorrent, skipping initialisation of ruTorrent Plugins...

2021-02-11 11:24:53,221 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[warn] Failed to start rTorrent, skipping initialisation of ruTorrent Plugins...

2021-02-11 11:25:23,499 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent listening interface IP 0.0.0.0 and VPN provider IP [REDACTED] different, marking for reconfigure

2021-02-11 11:25:23,503 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent not running

2021-02-11 11:25:23,507 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Removing any rTorrent session lock files left over from the previous run...

2021-02-11 11:25:23,510 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to start rTorrent...

2021-02-11 11:25:23,511 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
Script started, output log file is '/home/nobody/typescript'.

2021-02-11 11:25:23,534 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
Script done.

2021-02-11 11:25:34,592 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:

The client UI will load but it's all empty.  Just looks like a fresh install of Rtorrentvpn with no torrents in it.

Before I start getting H&R warnings all over the place is there a means to revert just this container to whatever I previously had working?

Edited by DontWorryScro

Hello, Nothing is working after updating. Please let me know what to do?

2021-02-12 01:27:54,365 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stderr output:
[NOTICE] [pool www] 'group' directive is ignored when FPM is not running as root

2021-02-12 01:27:54,369 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] starting nginx...

2021-02-12 01:28:01,133 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent process started
[info] Waiting for rTorrent process to start listening on port 5000...

2021-02-12 01:28:01,151 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent process listening on port 5000
[info] Initialising ruTorrent plugins (checking rTorrent is running)...

2021-02-12 01:28:01,164 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent running
[info] Initialising ruTorrent plugins (checking nginx is running)...

2021-02-12 01:28:01,177 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] nginx running
[info] Initialising ruTorrent plugins...

2021-02-12 01:28:17,985 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] ruTorrent plugins initialised

Meanwhile, I have moved back to the previous working version with tag: 

binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn:rtorrent-ps-1.1.r54.ga787dd9-1-28

Hey, You can change the latest tag to above mentioned tag like this:

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/WoTUrGy.png

37 minutes ago, DontWorryScro said:

Just updated this container about 20 mins ago and now i cant get the client to load.  Just loops in the log.

The client UI will load but it's all empty.  Just looks like a fresh install of Rtorrentvpn with no torrents in it.

Before I start getting H&R warnings all over the place is there a means to revert just this container to whatever I previously had working?

Edited by learningunraid
On 2/11/2021 at 8:00 PM, learningunraid said:

Hello, Nothing is working after updating. Please let me know what to do?

This will be a configuration option in your /config/rtorrent/config/rtorrent.rc file that is no longer compatible with the newer version of rtorrent (now v0.9.8).

The permanent fix for this is to simply rename or delete the existing config file /config/rtorrent/config/rtorrent.rc and then restart the container, then re-edit the config file if required to re-apply any settings you want, sadly this is not something i can automate for you.

This should no longer be necessary, as we have rolled back to rtorrent-ps (v0.9.6) thus all existing configs should work fine.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, binhex said:

This will be a configuration option in your /config/rtorrent/config/rtorrent.rc file that is no longer compatible with the newer version of rtorrent (now v0.9.8).

The permanent fix for this is to simply rename or delete the existing config file /config/rtorrent/config/rtorrent.rc and then restart the container, then re-edit the config file if required to re-apply any settings you want, sadly this is not something i can automate for you.

Thanks for the prompt reply. If you don't mind,

1. How is the current update helps us? (Since, we are mostly layman who doesn't understand technical terms, I wish to know what benefit latest update brings in comparison to the previous stable version)?

2. VPN are going to work as good as the previous version?

3. This update is going to fix any bugs of rutorrent/rtorrent?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, learningunraid said:

1. How is the current update helps us? (Since, we are mostly layman who doesn't understand technical terms, I wish to know what benefit latest update brings in comparison to the previous stable version)?

multiple fixes and improvements - resources usage is improved for one example.

2. VPN are going to work as good as the previous version?

yes

3. This update is going to fix any bugs of rutorrent/rtorrent?

see 1.

• Like 1
Just now, binhex said:

multiple fixes and improvements - resources usage is improved for one example.

yes

see 1.

Thanks for the reply again, I will try the solution as you have suggested and will report back here.

One more question: Are we ever going to have Discord Server for the Binhex Fan Club? And if there is any channel in other discord server where you provide support, please let me know.

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, learningunraid said:

Thanks for the reply again, I will try the solution as you have suggested and will report back here.

One more question: Are we ever going to have Discord Server for the Binhex Fan Club? And if there is any channel in other discord server where you provide support, please let me know.

Thanks.

lol didn't realise i had a Fan Club 🙂

15 hours ago, VVnnXXzzAA said:

I've been trying to figure out the port forwarding situation for a while but not having any luck.  I use TorGuard which has facilities for port forwarding (you go on their customer portal and request a port to be forwarded for a given VPN server, then configure your ovpn file to hit that server so that with your credentials, they know to set up the forwarding on connect).  I've worked with their support team to validate that traffic is flowing through the forwarded port, but still, open port checker websites report the port is closed (although weirdly, if I hit a random port, I get an answer right away, but with my targeted port it takes a longer time to determine --as if it is timing out).  In any case, @binhex I'm not sure what's the best way to debug.  Privoxy works, torrent files work, but magnet links relying on DHT do not.  rtorrent also gives me MUCH higher speeds for the torrents that DO work vs deluge (saturating my internet bandwidth), so I really want to get this to work.  I'm running this on a QNAP NAS.  Is it possible that the iptables settings or the ip route are doing funny things?

Bump on this question, but also in trying to debug, I noticed that the iptables settings for INPUT allow all incoming traffic from the VPN tun0 interface.  Isn't that a security hole?  Shouldn't we be more selective about what ports to open for incoming traffic from the VPN network?

18 minutes ago, binhex said:

I renamed the old .rc file, updated the container again to the new one and let a new .rc file get generated but im still getting:

2021-02-11 12:31:38,726 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:

2021-02-11 12:32:08,909 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent listening interface IP 0.0.0.0 and VPN provider IP 10.x.xxx.101 different, marking for reconfigure

2021-02-11 12:32:08,912 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent not running

2021-02-11 12:32:08,916 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Removing any rTorrent session lock files left over from the previous run...

2021-02-11 12:32:08,919 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to start rTorrent...

2021-02-11 12:32:08,920 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
Script started, output log file is '/home/nobody/typescript'.

2021-02-11 12:32:08,942 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
Script done.

2021-02-11 12:32:19,994 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:

2021-02-11 12:32:19,994 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:

19 minutes ago, VVnnXXzzAA said:

I noticed that the iptables settings for INPUT allow all incoming traffic from the VPN tun0 interface.  Isn't that a security hole?

not for 99% of providers, no, nearly all (there is only 1 I'm aware of that doesnt block) block all incoming ports, allowing to define a single port for port forwarding, so by default everything inbound is blocked.

17 minutes ago, DontWorryScro said:

I renamed the old .rc file, updated the container again to the new one and let a new .rc file get generated but im still getting:

ok thats really odd!, im running the latest image here myself so it has been tested. ok can you attach (not paste) your rtorrent.rc file and i will take a look at it and see if i can spot a problem with it.

16 minutes ago, binhex said:

you have changed quite a bit from the default there!, i believe this is your issue, but there could be more:-

line 155:- set_max_file_size = 300G

remove that line, save the file and restart the container.

Yep that last line was the doozy.  Removed it and all is well now.  Do we know if there is an updated way to indicate a larger max file size that wont sink the launch?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Found it, I think. 

"set_max_file_size" was deprecated. 

The new way to accomplish this is with:

system.file.max_size.set = 

Edited by DontWorryScro
the answer
  • Like 1

Yep that last line was the doozy.  Removed it and all is well now.  Do we know if there is an updated way to indicate a larger max file size that wont sink the launch?
Thanks for the help.
I don't know the answer, but I'm sure Google does

Sent from my iPlay_40 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, VVnnXXzzAA said:

For those who might run into this problem.  The issue was the firewall on the QNAP.  The basic firewall from the ControlPanel->Security is employing something very restrictive and not configurable.  Switching to use QuFirewall without any additional changes actually fixed the issue...

• binhex locked this topic