[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

This might be a really stupid question but this container behaves kind of funky whenever something is downloading.

Seeding is fine and it works way better than any other rutorrent container I have used in the past but when downloading something, even a small file, rutorrent will time-out and then completely stop functioning until rtorrent finishes the download.

It's kind of an annoyance more than a problem but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this before and knows what to do about it?

13 hours ago, MrGangrene said:

This might be a really stupid question but this container behaves kind of funky whenever something is downloading.

Seeding is fine and it works way better than any other rutorrent container I have used in the past but when downloading something, even a small file, rutorrent will time-out and then completely stop functioning until rtorrent finishes the download.

It's kind of an annoyance more than a problem but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this before and knows what to do about it?

How many torrents are you  seeding? And how fast are your drives? Rutorrent's PHP backend isn't exactly the fastest one, and honestly, after 1500 or so torrents it's easier to manage everything from the command line. I have SSD caches and well tuned Linux box, even so, deleting the data of a big torrent file using Rutorrent's File Manager often makes the UI unresponsive.

If you are dealing with a few hundred torrents or less then rutorrent is manageable, otherwise I deeply recommend getting familiar with pyrocore. Using the CLI feels weird at first, but once you get used with it there's really little use for rutorrent.

I just set up this container for the first time in order to replace the Linuxserver ruTorrent container since it is no longer being updated, however I've run into an issue and can't seem to access the WebUI. I've attached my log here, however it never seems to get past the stage "Setting permissions recursively on volume mappings..." 

My settings are very basic as I'm not currently setting up any VPN and am only trying to access ruTorrent locally. You can see my settings below. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 3.22.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 3.22.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 3.21.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 3.20.35 PM.png

supervisord.log

1 hour ago, xthursdayx said:

it never seems to get past the stage "Setting permissions recursively on volume mappings..."

this is why:-

image.thumb.png.da134d86812d18742e3cf2f3082b9ac8.png

so it will recursively be setting permissions on /mnt/user, which will obviously take some time!, edit this path and change it to a more specific folder, /data is used to store downloaded data, so something like /mnt/cache/appdata/downloads/ would be a better fit and should get things running for you.

5 minutes ago, binhex said:

this is why:-

image.thumb.png.da134d86812d18742e3cf2f3082b9ac8.png

so it will recursively be setting permissions on /mnt/user, which will obviously take some time!, edit this path and change it to a more specific folder, /data is used to store downloaded data, so something like /mnt/cache/appdata/downloads/ would be a better fit and should get things running for you.

Ah okay, I just assumed this was used to map volume access, I didn't realize it was specifically the download directory. Thanks!

On 4/4/2021 at 3:42 PM, matthys said:

What tag do I need to use for Synology (DS916+ with DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3) because it's not clear to me.
I got this message with the latests version: FATAL: kernel too old

Have you found which one works, yet? I updated my containers without looking for issues and now running into this kernel issue, as well. 

Hi @binhex

Is there a solution to this problem? My rtorrent is still freezing because of the udp trackers.

https://github.com/rakshasa/rtorrent/issues/180

I did some research and it can be done with Curl and c-ares libraries compiling.:

https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/comments/didt7d/rtorrent_stalling_freezing_caused_by_bad_tracker/

https://github.com/rakshasa/libtorrent/pull/134

This script has it also installed with udns and that one is working for me but it does not have the vpn option:

https://github.com/stickz/rtinst

Thanks!

Edited by Lampegatter
On 4/11/2021 at 6:26 AM, Ollie said:

Have you found which one works, yet? I updated my containers without looking for issues and now running into this kernel issue, as well. 

Yes ... but for me it didn't work from the GUI. so I did this command (via ssh) manually:

docker pull binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn:rtorrent-ps-1.1.r54.ga787dd9-1-30

This version works fine for me, didn't bother to try higher version.

PS .. sorry I reply so late ... didn't get any notification

Is there any sort of documentation on a list of things to troubleshoot if the webUI isn't loading? Still can't get it to load over here and not seeing any obvious flags as to why it wouldn't be doing so.

Editing to attach my supervisor log

supervisord.log

Looking at this now in debug mode, I'm seeing a few issues:

2021-04-14 14:06:31.398159 [info] VPN_ENABLED defined as 'yes'
2021-04-14 14:06:31.422447 [warn] VPN_CLIENT not defined (via -e VPN_CLIENT), defaulting to 'openvpn'
2021-04-14 14:06:31.445822 [info] VPN_PROV defined as 'pia'

I don't see a VPN_CLIENT variable in the unraid docker, I'm using PIA as shown in the VPN_PROV field

2021-04-14 14:06:34,141 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
modprobe: FATAL: Module tun not found in directory /lib/modules/5.10.21-Unraid

2021-04-14 14:06:34,141 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load tun kernel module using modprobe, trying insmod...

2021-04-14 14:06:34,142 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/tun.ko: No such file or directory

2021-04-14 14:06:34,143 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load tun kernel module, assuming its dynamically loaded

Not sure what to do with this one, or if it's an issue

2021-04-14 14:08:42,185 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to download PIA json to generate token, exiting script...
[info] Port forwarding failure, creating file '/tmp/portfailure' to indicate failure...

Cant seem to locate that portfailure doc to further investigate this one

If I had to guess I'd say the lack of the PIA token is preventing the web-ui from loading, just not sure how to fix that guy as it had been working fine, and I have the RPC2_Pass and WEBUI_Pass defined as based on the Jan 15th update

Edited by cyriouslydylan

Has anyone else started seeing this error today?

2021-04-15 15:50:53,919 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
parse error: Invalid numeric literal at line 1, column 7

[warn] Unable to successfully download PIA json to generate token from URL 'https://10.0.0.1/authv3/generateToken'
[info] 12 retries left
[info] Retrying in 10 secs...

It just keeps repeating in the logs over and over.

12 minutes ago, dvd.collector said:

Has anyone else started seeing this error today?

parse error: Invalid numeric literal at line 1, column 7

[warn] Unable to successfully download PIA json to generate token from URL 'https://10.0.0.1/authv3/generateToken'
[info] 12 retries left
[info] Retrying in 10 secs...

It just keeps repeating in the logs over and over.

issues with certain PIA endpoints, switch to another, sweden works but im sure there are others.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, cyriouslydylan said:

Is there any sort of documentation on a list of things to troubleshoot if the webUI isn't loading? Still can't get it to load over here and not seeing any obvious flags as to why it wouldn't be doing so.

same - issues with certain PIA endpoints, switch to another, sweden works but im sure there are others.

I have a script that I want to run when the VPN first connects to register whatever IP I get to a tracker that I use.  When I add this to VPN_OPTIONS:

--script-security 2 --up /config/openvpn/tun_up.sh

I get this:

2021-04-17 09:01:44,949 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
2021-04-17 09:01:44 Multiple --up scripts defined. The previously configured script is overridden.

And then things never connect.

What would be the better option for doing this?

I have been experiencing an issue for a while where the VPN connection drops approx. 30-40 seconds after Radarr adds a movie to rtorrent. When it's added it's all good and the torrent is downloading at great speeds but then the VPN connection drops and it takes a while for rTorrent to regain connection and download the remainders of the torrent. The VPN connection seems to be working fine when Radarr is not adding torrents.

I really can't figure out what the problem is, so I was hoping that someone would be able to help.

I have attached my supervisor.log, Radarr log and my rTorrent configuration.

Please let me know if I need to send any other debugging data and I also understand that it might be Radarr that's causing the error, but I just find it weird that the connection drops.

rtorrent.rc supervisord.log radarr.debug.txt

So i have seen lately that some torrents get errors days after download is complete. Some are ok and doesen't change status from seeding but alot of them are changed to pausing. In the download folder the correct files are there but the sizes say 0kb.

For now i have stopped the torrent then started it again and this works for the most part but not always.

Anyone have any clue as to what i can do to fix this?

It seems the Linuxserver/rutorrent isnt beeing updated anymore or so.

So was checking this. But it has stuff like VPN which i dont need. I can disable it i saw that is ok. BUT can i also move ALL my settings over from the old one to this one ?  Just copy some files start and it works again ?

On 4/24/2021 at 3:32 PM, KoNeko said:

It seems the Linuxserver/rutorrent isnt beeing updated anymore or so.

So was checking this. But it has stuff like VPN which i dont need. I can disable it i saw that is ok. BUT can i also move ALL my settings over from the old one to this one ?  Just copy some files start and it works again ?

create and start the binhex-rtorrentvpn container, then stop it and then look at your old container and copy across files from /config from the old to the correct location in the new, yes the paths will be different so you will need to work that out so dont just copy and paste cos that wont work.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:52 PM, matt.shepker said:

I have a script that I want to run when the VPN first connects to register whatever IP I get to a tracker that I use. 

you shouldnt need to do this, the ip assigned to you from your vpn provider is set in rtorrent and should register to the tracker.

• binhex locked this topic