[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

More of a usage question about rtorrent, but it was this docker image that prompted me to try this:

I have about 5000 (linux) isos I thought I'd help seed - they're on a massive RAID volume and all hash-checked and verified.  I added this volume "/linux" as an additional mount into the docker container, and had the bright idea to make it a readonly mount to protect all that data from any mishaps on the docker container side.

It seems rtorrent won't allow me to seed off a read-only file system.  I tried the "d.seed_only" flag for the relevant torrents but that didn't help, when I tried to start them it failed with the read-only filesystem log error.

Note this isn't any problem with config files, they are all on the regular RW "/config" area and all my other torrents in "/data" are working fine.

I've successfully seeded off read-only filesystems with other torrent software before (eg deluge), but can't seem to find any work-around to make rtorrent do this.  Which is a shame as the docker setup makes it really easy to provide this protection.

Anyone else managed to tweak rtorrent to seed from a read-only filesystem?

23 hours ago, Cliff said:

Can anyone tell me how to get the container set up using mullvad and wireguard ? I am using default options changing only:

Container Variable: VPN_ENABLED:yes

Container Variable: VPN_PROV:pia

Container Variable: VPN_CLIENT:wireguard

Container Variable: RPC2_PASS:<password>

Container Variable: WEBUI_PASS:<password>

Container Variable: LAN_NETWORK:192.168.0.0/24

Container Variable: ADDITIONAL_PORTS:<forwarded port from mullvad>

Copied wg0.conf to wireguard directory

After starting the container I can't access the WebUI

And this is the logfile:

ErrorWarningSystemArrayLogin
___. .__ .__
\_ |__ |__| ____ | |__ ____ ___ ___
| __ \| |/ \| | \_/ __ \\ \/ /
| \_\ \ | | \ Y \ ___/ > <
|___ /__|___| /___| /\___ >__/\_ \
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/
https://hub.docker.com/u/binhex/

2020-11-21 12:02:15.968952 [info] System information Linux 6595f07a7b8e 5.8.13-Unraid #1 SMP Thu Oct 1 16:59:27 PDT 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux
2020-11-21 12:02:15.993373 [info] OS_ARCH defined as 'x86-64'
2020-11-21 12:02:16.016716 [info] PUID defined as '99'
2020-11-21 12:02:16.040189 [info] PGID defined as '100'
2020-11-21 12:02:16.077165 [info] UMASK defined as '000'
2020-11-21 12:02:16.097720 [info] Permissions already set for volume mappings
2020-11-21 12:02:16.120669 [info] Deleting files in /tmp (non recursive)...
2020-11-21 12:02:16.151650 [info] VPN_ENABLED defined as 'yes'
2020-11-21 12:02:16.174098 [info] VPN_CLIENT defined as 'wireguard'
2020-11-21 12:02:16.199654 [info] VPN_PROV defined as 'pia'
2020-11-21 12:02:18.379622 [info] WireGuard config file (conf extension) is located at /config/wireguard/wg0.conf

You have your VPN provider set to PIA, not sure if this is the only issue

2020-11-21 12:02:16.199654 [info] VPN_PROV defined as 'pia'

Edited by xxDeadbolt
  • Like 1

I have got everything working but I have one issue left. I have enabled "Automove" in the options and have set the path to "/downloads/completed". But when the torrent completes it still stays in the "incomplete"-folder. I have set up some "Ratio Rules", but I would think that would not impact the automove ? Do anyone have any idéas why this happens ?

Edit: I have added an additional "/downloads/ mapping to the container that points to "/mnt/user/downloads". 

Edit2: I removed the extra "/downlads" path and pointed "/data" to my downloads folder and now it works. (I originallly thought that the data mount was for settings) 

Edited by Cliff
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey im getting this error below tried multiple endpoints any idea?

[warn] Unable to successfully download PIA json payload from URL 'https://10.3.112.1:19999/getSignature' using token '_UK1P258OtBQhZW+8_KFbZfmf8OrqgYA8mKItjXlUEKYvpGY6q0mhCRYI9u80QVUSkhxhACrtDj+98lTDpnxANFT4OQrZE0WtIecAzfRSX4HWYadg+wbfGLyV5g=',

I've got a weird problem.  After months of running fine and me not touching anything, rtorrent suddently stopped being able to be used by web interface.  When I would click anything it would just say error.  When I add a torrent it would fail.  HOWEVER, sonarr/radarr/etc still could use it fine, so I never bothered fixing it.

Now weeks later it won't boot at all.  So I deleted the container, used a blank config folder - the only thing I kept is the wireguard folder.  Both the old and new containers now just hang on "loading" and never even let me see the GUI.  No response from sonarr/radarr.  I'm not sure what else to try, I would assume deleting the container and remaking with a whole new data folder should remove almost anything I could have done to it?

Edited by thrroow
3 hours ago, thrroow said:

I've got a weird problem.  After months of running fine and me not touching anything, rtorrent suddently stopped being able to be used by web interface.  When I would click anything it would just say error.  When I add a torrent it would fail.  HOWEVER, sonarr/radarr/etc still could use it fine, so I never bothered fixing it.

Now weeks later it won't boot at all.  So I deleted the container, used a blank config folder - the only thing I kept is the wireguard folder.  Both the old and new containers now just hang on "loading" and never even let me see the GUI.  No response from sonarr/radarr.  I'm not sure what else to try, I would assume deleting the container and remaking with a whole new data folder should remove almost anything I could have done to it?

supervisord.log 56.86 kB · 1 download

You've not removed your PIA username & password, I'd change them & upload the log again after redacting them.

Not sure what the issue is, sorry, but you may want to use an alpha-numeric password only. Few folks had issues with it has special characters lately.

6 hours ago, xxDeadbolt said:

You've not removed your PIA username & password, I'd change them & upload the log again after redacting them.

Not sure what the issue is, sorry, but you may want to use an alpha-numeric password only. Few folks had issues with it has special characters lately.

what else other than user/pass needs to be removed? ive been meaning to make a sanitizer script for a while now.

15 minutes ago, STEFAN1987 said:

Is there anyway to permanent restrain the DL speed.

When ever i download anything my internet suffers to the extend of bein not usable.

I only download with 300 mbit/s and i have a 1000 mbit/s connection, im really confused on how it can eat up my whole connection.

Edit 'config folder\rtorrent\config\rtorrent.rc' in notepadd++ 

I only edited my upload rate, by un-commenting the throttle line. I don't mind the download being unlimited, but you can do that:
image.png.dc225af2834940b586d2c32e82fea8c8.png

2 hours ago, xxDeadbolt said:

Edit 'config folder\rtorrent\config\rtorrent.rc' in notepadd++ 

I only edited my upload rate, by un-commenting the throttle line. I don't mind the download being unlimited, but you can do that:
image.png.dc225af2834940b586d2c32e82fea8c8.png

That didnt do the trick unfortunately. still mess up my connection :( Deluge seems not to do that but the download speed is to slow so i really want to fix this.

1 hour ago, kajeagentspi said:

Just subscribed to pia. Setupped the files/settings properly and I'm still getting authentication error. I think the issue is the same as this one.  Can someone that has a working setup confirm if their credentials works with the manual-connections script? Or can you tell me what server you are using?

Found a temporary fix to this problem. You just need to edit some lines in /root/wireguard.sh and getvpnport.sh

Assumptions

You have a windows machine

Wireguard and port forwarding enabled on the windows client.

1. Go to C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access\data

2. Copy accounts.json somewhere since if you just open the file it would fail due to some permission issue.

3. Open the copied accounts.json file and copy the token

4. Open up the shell of the container

5. Replace the contents of /root/wireguard.sh and /root/getvpnport.sh with the ones from this gist

6. Restart

Do note that editing any of the settings of the container would reset the changes above.

@binhex is it possible to add a TOKEN variable to the image to somehow fix this till PIA fix their servers?

I have two instances of rTorrentVPN running, each on a different box, last week they both started having periods where nothing was uploading/downloading, starting yesterday morning I have not seen anything upload/download.  Since yesterday, I tried different PIA wiregurad endpoints by modifying wg0.conf, and I removed "wireguard" from Container Variable: VPN_CLIENT: to try using openvpn, which seemed to have worked except no uploading./downloading.  It always seems to get connected in the log with no errors, as far as I can tell.  The fact that 2 instances suggest it's not something random that broke on my end, on one instance I only tried different endpoints.

...was still working on providing more info and my rtorrent instance set to use uk-london.privacy.network on wireguard started actively downloading.  I don't see any chatter on PIA's discussion page or reddit about massive issues.

supervisord.log

59 minutes ago, bobobeastie said:

I have two instances of rTorrentVPN running, each on a different box, last week they both started having periods where nothing was uploading/downloading, starting yesterday morning I have not seen anything upload/download.  Since yesterday, I tried different PIA wiregurad endpoints by modifying wg0.conf, and I removed "wireguard" from Container Variable: VPN_CLIENT: to try using openvpn, which seemed to have worked except no uploading./downloading.  It always seems to get connected in the log with no errors, as far as I can tell.  The fact that 2 instances suggest it's not something random that broke on my end, on one instance I only tried different endpoints.

...was still working on providing more info and my rtorrent instance set to use uk-london.privacy.network on wireguard started actively downloading.  I don't see any chatter on PIA's discussion page or reddit about massive issues.

supervisord.log 9.05 MB · 1 download

the log looks fine, check rutorrent for location of incomplete and completed are correct, also check what they are pointing to is available, especially if using a drive outside of the array, such as UD.

47 minutes ago, binhex said:

the log looks fine, check rutorrent for location of incomplete and completed are correct, also check what they are pointing to is available, especially if using a drive outside of the array, such as UD.

Thanks, things are in the array in both cases.  I didn't really change anything before it started working again today on what I'll call Box1... except I did pause handbrake.  My other instance of rtorrent (Box2) has not had handbrake running on the same machine until recently when I started having issues.  Box 1 has a pinning shown in the attached image, Box2 has no pinning set.  Is this my issue?  What should I change them to, rtorrent getting x amount of dedicated cores?  I'm thinking I might have misunderstood pinning when I set this up.

image.thumb.png.8103814ce56fb8dd1b5b0e4a4abdd44e.png 

I've been running the delugevpn container for a while, and I love it. I'm trying to get an rtorrentvpn container up and running, and I'm 99% of the way there but I can't get the port to show that it's actually open and available for connections. I've tried doing the port forwarding, and also verifying that I don't have anything blocking it on the WireGuard server end.

I've uploaded a cleaned log here: https://mactaggart.eskimomafia.com/selif/supervisord.log. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On 12/5/2020 at 8:18 AM, xxDeadbolt said:

wow that careless of me.  Thanks for the headsup, changed credentials.

• Like 1
On 12/6/2020 at 2:27 PM, xxDeadbolt said:

There must be something else going on, I'm not sure how this container could mess up your full connection 😕

What happens when you edit that section for the download limit?

I do limit the connection but it still eats up my whole connection. so im kind of lost. 

8 minutes ago, STEFAN1987 said:

I do limit the connection but it still eats up my whole connection. so im kind of lost. 

limit the number of connections too, this is a typical sign of weak hardware, generally isp supplied modems/routers which simply cannot handle the hundreds of connections that the torrent protcol uses, also ensure you limit upload to 3/4 of your maximum theoretical upload, unlimited upload will kill your download speed, not only for your torrent client but for every device on your lan.

3 hours ago, binhex said:

limit the number of connections too, this is a typical sign of weak hardware, generally isp supplied modems/routers which simply cannot handle the hundreds of connections that the torrent protcol uses, also ensure you limit upload to 3/4 of your maximum theoretical upload, unlimited upload will kill your download speed, not only for your torrent client but for every device on your lan.

ahh okay that sounds like it is it. i will try that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive recently noticed a phenomenon with my rutorrentvpn client that my download speed is severely hampered.  I'll restart the container and get a good amount of my speed back.  But sure enough the next day it's at a sorry crawl again.  Until I restart the container and the cycle repeats.  on and on.  What sort of info would i need to provide to help troubleshoot this?  TIA

• binhex locked this topic