[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, glompy said:

When this happens the VPN (PIA) also disconnects and all torrents reset, and then they get a new IP... This happens every 10 minutes or so, I have stopped my rTorrent container for now because having a new IP every 10 minutes doesn't look good to peers.

this sounds like a vpn provider issue, please do the following:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

Link to comment
30 minutes ago, binhex said:

so the web ui is visible but you cant authenticate?, if so see here:-

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46127-support-binhex-rtorrentvpn/?do=findComment&comment=454306

 

I have both the web and rcp user and pass in the docker defined and neither will let me log in.  It's really weird.  Read somewhere that I  might need to deleted the lock file?  Was going to try that out later.  I can't find any answer on it it seems.

Link to comment
Just now, EC28 said:

I have both the web and rcp user and pass in the docker defined and neither will let me log in.  It's really weird.  Read somewhere that I  might need to deleted the lock file?  Was going to try that out later.  I can't find any answer on it it seems.

can you follow the procedure below:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

Link to comment
1 hour ago, EC28 said:

Here we go, thank you!

 

https://pastebin.com/pNyeZRuh

im assuming you have blanked out the username and password  and its not an empty string, right?:-

2020-05-20 08:11:55.721158 [info] WEBUI_USER defined as ''
2020-05-20 08:11:55.758365 [info] WEBUI_PASS defined as ''

can you ensure the username and password is constructed from a-z 0-9, so no special characters, also when entering the username and password in the unraid webui for the container do NOT copy and paste, type it in manually, i have seen the web ui do some funky shit when pasting in.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, binhex said:

im assuming you have blanked out the username and password  and its not an empty string, right?:-


2020-05-20 08:11:55.721158 [info] WEBUI_USER defined as ''
2020-05-20 08:11:55.758365 [info] WEBUI_PASS defined as ''

can you ensure the username and password is constructed from a-z 0-9, so no special characters, also when entering the username and password in the unraid webui for the container do NOT copy and paste, type it in manually, i have seen the web ui do some funky shit when pasting in.

Yes. I blanked them out before posting.  The values are there in the docker.  No special characters, only one upper case letter.  I did type them all in.

 

Link to comment
19 minutes ago, EC28 said:

Yes. I blanked them out before posting.  The values are there in the docker.  No special characters, only one upper case letter.  I did type them all in.

 

then im sorry i got no further suggestions at present, all i can say is the image is def not broken and works fine (tested locally by changing password), so not sure whats going on with your setup :-(.

 

edit - one last thing to check, try accessing the web ui from another pc or browser (preferably pc).

Edited by binhex
Link to comment
10 hours ago, binhex said:

In a word, no - you would not be able to access the web UI at all

 

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Got it!

 

I went through the log much more thoroughly and found this:

 

[info] Attempting to load iptable_mangle module...

2020-05-20 10:15:32,602 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
modprobe: FATAL: Module iptable_mangle not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.107-Unraid

2020-05-20 10:15:32,602 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load iptable_mangle module using modprobe, trying insmod...

2020-05-20 10:15:32,603 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko: No such file or directory

2020-05-20 10:15:32,603 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load iptable_mangle module, you will not be able to connect to the applications Web UI or Privoxy outside of your LAN
[info] unRAID/Ubuntu users: Please attempt to load the module by executing the following on your host: '/sbin/modprobe iptable_mangle'
[info] Synology users: Please attempt to load the module by executing the following on your host: 'insmod /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko'

Ran the /sbin/modprobe iptable_mangle command, and it is now working. 

 

What would have caused that module to unload? Or is it a requirement of the updated version of the docker that was not required before?

Edited by lutiana
Link to comment
13 hours ago, glompy said:

When this happens the VPN (PIA) also disconnects and all torrents reset, and then they get a new IP... This happens every 10 minutes or so,

looking at the log you have attached you have a port closed after an hour, so i question the 'every 10 minutes' statement. but even so every hour is stlll too quick, i would advise switching to another endpoint, those canadian endpoints have been unstable since the outage a while ago, try sweden or swiss.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, lutiana said:

What would have caused that module to unload?

a reboot of the host (assuming you are running unraid), this has been the case for around 2 years, put the command in your 'go' file and you should be good.

Link to comment
33 minutes ago, binhex said:

looking at the log you have attached you have a port closed after an hour, so i question the 'every 10 minutes' statement. but even so every hour is stlll too quick, i would advise switching to another endpoint, those canadian endpoints have been unstable since the outage a while ago, try sweden or swiss.

That was just the first time it happened after restarting the container with debug. Seems to be worse in the evening around 10pm central. It was definitely happening every 10 minutes last night, if it was useful I can wait until tonight and it should do it again at that frequency as this has been an issue for me for over 2 weeks. Instead I will go ahead and switch to another endpoint and monitor for stability.

 

What I take away from your statement is this is a PIA issue and not an issue with the container, and so maybe I should look into another VPN provider if another endpoint proves unstable still? 

 

Also I looked up my old settings on my windows box, and I was running it through the PIA socks5 proxy, but NOT the PIA vpn directly, so the socks5 proxy never had port forwarding/closing issues, I was incorrect in saying the vpn didn't randomly close my ports on my windows box, so this is the first time I am actually trying to use the vpn full stream with torrents.

Link to comment
29 minutes ago, glompy said:

What I take away from your statement is this is a PIA issue and not an issue with the container

correct

 

30 minutes ago, glompy said:

Also I looked up my old settings on my windows box, and I was running it through the PIA socks5 proxy, but NOT the PIA vpn directly, so the socks5 proxy never had port forwarding/closing issues

your windows box wont of been able to get a incoming port, so it def wont of had an 'issue' with port forwarding as its impossible, socks5 proxy does not allow incoming connections.

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, binhex said:

a reboot of the host (assuming you are running unraid), this has been the case for around 2 years, put the command in your 'go' file and you should be good.

Interesting, this is news to me. I've never run into the issue before, though I don't reboot all that often, and yes it's unRAID.

 

Can you point me to the "go" file you mention?

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, lutiana said:

Can you point me to the "go" file you mention?

connect to unraid console (not container) and then execute:-

nano /boot/config/go

then add the command you issued earlier to this file, then press ctrl+x and y to save.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, binhex said:

then im sorry i got no further suggestions at present, all i can say is the image is def not broken and works fine (tested locally by changing password), so not sure whats going on with your setup :-(.

 

edit - one last thing to check, try accessing the web ui from another pc or browser (preferably pc).

Figure it out, it was the cache.  So simple, yet overlooked.  Thanks for the help!

Link to comment
7 hours ago, binhex said:

correct

 

your windows box wont of been able to get a incoming port, so it def wont of had an 'issue' with port forwarding as its impossible, socks5 proxy does not allow incoming connections.

 

I switched to switzerland, and the port didn't reset for almost 24 hours, and then it reset 10 times in the last 3 hours. I think I will be looking for a VPN that has static port forwarding, as dealing with PIA and dynamic ports is just too brittle for my taste.

 

Thanks again!

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, glompy said:

I switched to switzerland, and the port didn't reset for almost 24 hours, and then it reset 10 times in the last 3 hours. I think I will be looking for a VPN that has static port forwarding, as dealing with PIA and dynamic ports is just too brittle for my taste.

 

Thanks again!

are you 100% sure this is not ISP and/or router issues?.

Link to comment
22 hours ago, binhex said:

are you 100% sure this is not ISP and/or router issues?.

I have fiber with google nest router, I've never had an issue with it, but I wouldn't know how to go about testing if google is actively doing something there. That said, I do have VPN connections for work that I leave up all the time and those do not get terminated, so unless they are actively dropping connections to known PIA servers? However I figured they would have done that with the socks5 proxy too.

 

In any case, I signed up for another VPN provider... and it is night and day difference already, port forwarding took a minute to set up, but already getting double the bandwidth though the torrents. Its only been up for 2 hours, but I will be watching it. It will be much nicer to have dedicated ports as well now, so I'm probably just going to stick with it.

 

Still getting the occasional ruTorrent timeout, logs mentioned earlier, on localhost:5000 (netdata reports cpu usage for the container never goes above 4% in the last 24 hours), so I stopped navigating to the built-in ruTorrent and installed a flood-ui container to access rTorrent. ruTorrent still times out and is not usable, but flood continues to work just fine. Not quite sure how to debug that.

 

 

Edit::

 

Not a single disconnect in over a day. Looks like I will be dropping PIA like a hot rock and staying with this new vpn provider when it comes to torrents :)

Edited by glompy
Link to comment

Hello.

 

I just start using this container and i can't access the webgui. The only error I see is

 

Quote

/usr/local/bin/init.sh: line 384: /config/nginx/security/webui_pass: No such file or directory

Nevermind

Edited by bugster
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.