[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, erqzor said:

Hello there,

 

First thanks to binhex for his work. I've found this image the easiest way to setup secured rtorrent container in a blink.
Everything is well explained but I'm stuck at the reverse proxy stage. I have an almost working setup, able to connect to local_ip:port from a local computer, i'm facing a 404 when using domain.tld/rutorrent and hitting my nginx reverse proxy.

I've found the tip about php file (nginx into the container and nginx as reverse proxy). 

I've just remarked one thing that could explain I've misconfigured something (unfortunately I don't have logs on this computer ; but I could provide them later), it tries to hit path_to_rutorrent/rutorrent/rutorrent/. 

Will be glad to read something I've missed into documentation that could help to solve this issue. Note that i have linuxserver/letencrypt + organizr-v2 + tautulli + ombi working well with sso enabled so I consider my nginx configuration maybe not so bad. 

Thank you for any ideas, 

Hello, 

I've found my issue, so I'm sharing the issue resolution and some tips for beyond.

 

1- You must follow the installation guide (strictly, yes!, seriously, strict).
2- You must ensure the vpn settings are correct on server side (I've waste a lot of time, when the solution was into the .ovpn file)
3- You have to dig supervisor.log to find issue.

4- I didn't figure out how to make sso working between rtorrent/rutorrent - organizr (dunno if in fact its possible)
5- Bonus : if you are facing torrent client issue to connect to private tracker, double check your vpn settings, the issue is there (certainly ssl connection breaks; check vpn provider docs; adjust mtu)

 

Thank you binhex for the amazing work. 

Link to comment
On 8/13/2020 at 6:46 PM, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

does your vpn have port forwarding? i use pia and sometimes pia and rtorrent will pick the same port and it will show open, but most the time it shows closed. If i found the list of pia port ranges again (but was old list so prob bad) i would set my range to match, but be it pia or something else, port open or closed i get the same connection where it will be full speed for a while now and then but most the time it is <1m up/down. i did not buy pia for this, already had it.


Honestly i've the same case here, image is running fine, port is forwarded (confirmed by port check from vpn provider with curl). Still red and closed. But it's working fine on download (dunno for up btw). I just don't know if it matters to have the green mark in rutorrent gui that tells you the port is open. I really don't know how it works inside the container. Honestly i've seen this green while I have my config broken (couldn't ssl private tracker by example) so afaik it doesn't tell you rtorrent is working it just tells you a port is open or not to listen connection but it's within the container... so... what does it test because it can't really test vpn port isn't it ? 

Link to comment
12 hours ago, erqzor said:

I just don't know if it matters to have the green mark in rutorrent gui that tells you the port is open

it doesn't matter whatsoever, if you have confirmed the port is open using an external website then thats all the confirmation you should need.

 

having said that i have no issues at all with the built in indicator in rutorrent and it is always green, unless PIA has a wobble, in which case it may go red temporarily before my script kicks it and corrects the issue (restarts openvpn).

12 hours ago, erqzor said:

so afaik it doesn't tell you rtorrent is working it just tells you a port is open or not to listen connection but it's within the container... so... what does it test because it can't really test vpn port isn't it ? 

it tests the incoming port as defined in rutorrent, it uses an external website (https://portchecker.co) to do the check (web scrape) and if the port is open then it is green, if not then its red, and if it cannot contact the website then it is orange, i use the same website to do my own internal check, and it always reports the correct status to me.

 

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, binhex said:

it doesn't matter whatsoever, if you have confirmed the port is open using an external website then thats all the confirmation you should need.

 

having said that i have no issues at all with the built in indicator in rutorrent and it is always green, unless PIA has a wobble, in which case it may go red temporarily before my script kicks it and corrects the issue (restarts openvpn).

it tests the incoming port as defined in rutorrent, it uses an external website (https://portchecker.co) to do the check (web scrape) and if the port is open then it is green, if not then its red, and if it cannot contact the website then it is orange, i use the same website to do my own internal check, and it always reports the correct status to me.

 

Thank you for the explanation. As explained I don't use PIA but another VPN provider so i'm using custom preset. The ovpn file work like a charm, eveyrthing seems ok. Still have the red mark at the bottom, like you told I have confirmation from curl within the docker container the port is open. I have test the op against your website using VPN shared ip i'm assigned to and the port is Open. 

Rtorrent is still red. But I shouldn't care, it's just mental. 
Thank you again for your image, best. 

Link to comment

Hi there.


Sorry if I have missed something really obvious, but I'm trying to use Pyrocore to manage rtorrent so that it only downloads 1 torrent at a time. I followed the config guide to change the torque.ini file, but it isn't having any impact on rtorrent. Is there anything that I need to change in rtorrent.rc or anywhere else so that it is active?

 

Thanks

Link to comment

Is there any recent change regarding auto opening ports with PIA VPN? 

Since I started using PIA the incoming port used on rTorrent was automatically changed after a while on rTorrent to match the port forwarded provided by PIA api.

Since a few days ago I've seen that the red mark is present on all torrent clients and I don't seem to get lots of connections, so it seems that the ports are not being set indeed.

 

Just to clarify: The port used in ruTorrent does not seem to be updated with the forwarded port reported by the rtorrent log when retrieving it from PIA API.

Log trailing with:

 

Quote

2020-08-24 21:50:08,194 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rtorrent incoming port closed, marking for reconfigure
2020-08-24 22:20:21,572 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
0
2020-08-24 22:20:25,412 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rtorrent incoming port closed, marking for reconfigure
2020-08-24 22:50:33,843 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
0
2020-08-24 22:50:36,721 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rtorrent incoming port closed, marking for reconfigure

 

Edited by Jeffarese
Link to comment
On 8/2/2020 at 10:56 AM, binhex said:

Change endpoint then, PIA is currently going through a transition to their next-generation network, outages are being experienced.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
 

Is there any way to get the nextgen port working like with this? https://github.com/thrnz/docker-wireguard-pia/blob/master/extra/pf.sh or just sit tight until we get someting official from PIA.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, jrdnlc said:

I can no longer get this docker to run. Getting the following error

 


Wed Aug 26 21:36:02 2020 ERROR: Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF tun: Operation not permitted (errno=1)

Wed Aug 26 21:36:02 2020 Exiting due to fatal error

 

tun operation not permitted is normally due to not including the following in 'extra paramers' in the edit screen for the docker container:-

--cap-add=NET_ADMIN

or you do not have 'privileged' set to on.

Link to comment

@binhex It looks like this is happening again https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/issues/104

 

2020-08-29 17:10:49,842 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Cannot determine external IP address, performing tests before setting to '127.0.0.1'...
[info] Show name servers defined for container

 

IP in the rutorrent settings/bittorent shows 127.0.0.1. I am using Airvpn as my vpn provider and the latest docker container available to unraid.

 

You helped fix it before, hopefully an easy fix again.

 

Edited by lzrdking71
Link to comment

I hate that I can't get this working myself. I've combed the FAQ and can't find anything in this thread that seems to match what's going on.

 

I've had this docker working before, but am only now trying to swap over completely from qbittorrent. I pulled it again and can't seem to get the webui to load.

Tried deleting all the old config and starting again with no luck. Can't seem to see any significant errors in the supervisord log.

 

When I try to go into the web ui it times out persistently. Any thoughts?

 

 

supervisord.log

Edited by tuna83
Link to comment
On 8/29/2020 at 11:24 PM, lzrdking71 said:

@binhex It looks like this is happening again https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/issues/104

 

2020-08-29 17:10:49,842 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Cannot determine external IP address, performing tests before setting to '127.0.0.1'...
[info] Show name servers defined for container

 

IP in the rutorrent settings/bittorent shows 127.0.0.1

You helped fix it before, hopefully an easy fix again.

 

I started seeing this with the most recent version as well.  I'm using AirVPN.  Rolling back to version v3.10-01 fixed the issue.  Looking at Github, the only difference between the two versions is Commit ad060d.  I don't see how change would have any impact, but every time I downgrade the issue goes away. 

 

EDIT: Ahh, I didn't see the comments on the commit. Binhex confirmed the change is not related to this.

Edited by BiGBaLLA
Link to comment
6 hours ago, tuna83 said:

I hate that I can't get this working myself. I've combed the FAQ and can't find anything in this thread that seems to match what's going on.

 

I've had this docker working before, but am only now trying to swap over completely from qbittorrent. I pulled it again and can't seem to get the webui to load.

Tried deleting all the old config and starting again with no luck. Can't seem to see any significant errors in the supervisord log.

 

When I try to go into the web ui it times out persistently. Any thoughts?

 

 

supervisord.log 55.38 kB · 0 downloads

lan network is invalid, from your log:-

 

2020-08-31 22:36:47.204123 [info] LAN_NETWORK defined as '192.168.0.1/24'

see Q4 from the following link for how to calculate it correctly:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

Link to comment
5 hours ago, BiGBaLLA said:

I started seeing this with the most recent version as well.  I'm using AirVPN.  Rolling back to version v3.10-01 fixed the issue.  Looking at Github, the only difference between the two versions is Commit ad060d.  I don't see how change would have any impact, but every time I downgrade the issue goes away. 

 

EDIT: Ahh, I didn't see the comments on the commit. Binhex confirmed the change is not related to this.

if you are using AirVPN then i would be interested to see your log, please do the following:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

Link to comment
1 hour ago, binhex said:

lan network is invalid, from your log:-

 


2020-08-31 22:36:47.204123 [info] LAN_NETWORK defined as '192.168.0.1/24'

see Q4 from the following link for how to calculate it correctly:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

Thank you, of course it worked. I combed that log for about 3 hours trying to see something that would flag the issue. What made you see what the problem was?

 

Like I said I was pretty annoyed I couldn't fix it myself, even more annoyed now it turns out the answer is in the FAQ..

Link to comment
1 hour ago, binhex said:

if you are using AirVPN then i would be interested to see your log, please do the following:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

I'm not sure if it's helpful, but I attached the latest one and the 3.10 version. Both the same config / torrents. 3.10 shows the vpn ip to the tracker, and latest is showing 127.0.0.1.

 

Thanks, I really appreciate your work!

supervisord_3_10_01.log supervisord_latest.log

Link to comment
On 8/29/2020 at 7:24 PM, lzrdking71 said:

@binhex It looks like this is happening again https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/issues/104

 

2020-08-29 17:10:49,842 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Cannot determine external IP address, performing tests before setting to '127.0.0.1'...
[info] Show name servers defined for container

 

IP in the rutorrent settings/bittorent shows 127.0.0.1. I am using Airvpn as my vpn provider and the latest docker container available to unraid.

 

You helped fix it before, hopefully an easy fix again.

 

I am having the same exact issue above. I am also using AirVPN as my provider and have the latest available container.

Link to comment
10 hours ago, tuna83 said:

What made you see what the problem was?

ive created and supported this image for a LOT of years now, after a while you see the problem quite quickly :-), plus your symptom is classic of misconfigured lan - cannot access the web ui but the container has started successfully.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, binhex said:

@lzrdking71 @theGrok i have identified the issue, not exactly sure how it was related to my previous change but it has caused a race condition, i have now corrected this and the image is building, please pull it down in around 1 hour from now.

This did it for me! I updated all my instances and all are working correctly again, thank you for fixing this so quickly!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.