binhex

[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

2467 posts in this topic Last Reply

Posted (edited)

@binhex It looks like this is happening again https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/issues/104

2020-08-29 17:10:49,842 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Cannot determine external IP address, performing tests before setting to '127.0.0.1'...
[info] Show name servers defined for container

IP in the rutorrent settings/bittorent shows 127.0.0.1. I am using Airvpn as my vpn provider and the latest docker container available to unraid.

You helped fix it before, hopefully an easy fix again.

Edited by lzrdking71

Posted (edited)

I hate that I can't get this working myself. I've combed the FAQ and can't find anything in this thread that seems to match what's going on.

I've had this docker working before, but am only now trying to swap over completely from qbittorrent. I pulled it again and can't seem to get the webui to load.

Tried deleting all the old config and starting again with no luck. Can't seem to see any significant errors in the supervisord log.

When I try to go into the web ui it times out persistently. Any thoughts?

supervisord.log

Edited by tuna83

Posted (edited)
On 8/29/2020 at 11:24 PM, lzrdking71 said:

@binhex It looks like this is happening again https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/issues/104

[warn] Cannot determine external IP address, performing tests before setting to '127.0.0.1'...

IP in the rutorrent settings/bittorent shows 127.0.0.1

I started seeing this with the most recent version as well.  I'm using AirVPN.  Rolling back to version v3.10-01 fixed the issue.  Looking at Github, the only difference between the two versions is Commit ad060d.  I don't see how change would have any impact, but every time I downgrade the issue goes away. 

EDIT: Ahh, I didn't see the comments on the commit. Binhex confirmed the change is not related to this.

Edited by BiGBaLLA

On 8/29/2020 at 4:18 PM, cheesemarathon said:

I seem to be having issues with port forwarding on PIA? Are you able to help @binhex? Log attached.

supervisord.log 40.37 kB · 2 downloads

switch from france, looks like port forwarding is currently broken there, try ca-montreal

6 hours ago, tuna83 said:

I hate that I can't get this working myself. I've combed the FAQ and can't find anything in this thread that seems to match what's going on.

I've had this docker working before, but am only now trying to swap over completely from qbittorrent. I pulled it again and can't seem to get the webui to load.

Tried deleting all the old config and starting again with no luck. Can't seem to see any significant errors in the supervisord log.

When I try to go into the web ui it times out persistently. Any thoughts?

supervisord.log 55.38 kB · 0 downloads

lan network is invalid, from your log:-

2020-08-31 22:36:47.204123 [info] LAN_NETWORK defined as '192.168.0.1/24'

see Q4 from the following link for how to calculate it correctly:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

5 hours ago, BiGBaLLA said:

I started seeing this with the most recent version as well.  I'm using AirVPN.  Rolling back to version v3.10-01 fixed the issue.  Looking at Github, the only difference between the two versions is Commit ad060d.  I don't see how change would have any impact, but every time I downgrade the issue goes away. 

EDIT: Ahh, I didn't see the comments on the commit. Binhex confirmed the change is not related to this.

if you are using AirVPN then i would be interested to see your log, please do the following:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

1 hour ago, binhex said:

lan network is invalid, from your log:-

2020-08-31 22:36:47.204123 [info] LAN_NETWORK defined as '192.168.0.1/24'

see Q4 from the following link for how to calculate it correctly:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

Thank you, of course it worked. I combed that log for about 3 hours trying to see something that would flag the issue. What made you see what the problem was?

Like I said I was pretty annoyed I couldn't fix it myself, even more annoyed now it turns out the answer is in the FAQ..

1 hour ago, binhex said:

if you are using AirVPN then i would be interested to see your log, please do the following:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

I'm not sure if it's helpful, but I attached the latest one and the 3.10 version. Both the same config / torrents. 3.10 shows the vpn ip to the tracker, and latest is showing 127.0.0.1.

Thanks, I really appreciate your work!

supervisord_3_10_01.log supervisord_latest.log

On 8/29/2020 at 7:24 PM, lzrdking71 said:

IP in the rutorrent settings/bittorent shows 127.0.0.1. I am using Airvpn as my vpn provider and the latest docker container available to unraid.

I am having the same exact issue above. I am also using AirVPN as my provider and have the latest available container.

10 hours ago, tuna83 said:

What made you see what the problem was?

ive created and supported this image for a LOT of years now, after a while you see the problem quite quickly :-), plus your symptom is classic of misconfigured lan - cannot access the web ui but the container has started successfully.

@lzrdking71 @theGrok i have identified the issue, not exactly sure how it was related to my previous change but it has caused a race condition, i have now corrected this and the image is building, please pull it down in around 1 hour from now.

2 hours ago, binhex said:

@lzrdking71 @theGrok i have identified the issue, not exactly sure how it was related to my previous change but it has caused a race condition, i have now corrected this and the image is building, please pull it down in around 1 hour from now.

This did it for me! I updated all my instances and all are working correctly again, thank you for fixing this so quickly!

3 hours ago, binhex said:

I pulled the update and all seems to working great. Thx @binhex for this great container and for your work!

5 hours ago, binhex said:

@binhex, all is working again after the update. You are awesome, thanks for all your hard work!

@binhex

Would it be possible to have the script run through a list of .ovpn files after failing to port forward with one? Use case would be, CA-Montreal is having port-forward API issues right now, and as it is the first in the list alphabetically (I assume), the script only chooses it to retry with. Could it instead take a list of all .ovpn files in the config/openvpn directory and try them each in succession until a successful API call is made?

As always, thanks for your work!

Edited by omninewb

On 9/6/2020 at 6:33 PM, omninewb said:

@binhex

Would it be possible to have the script run through a list of .ovpn files after failing to port forward with one? Use case would be, CA-Montreal is having port-forward API issues right now, and as it is the first in the list alphabetically (I assume), the script only chooses it to retry with. Could it instead take a list of all .ovpn files in the config/openvpn directory and try them each in succession until a successful API call is made?

As always, thanks for your work!

While we wait for binhex, I built a docker on top of his to randomly pick an .ovpn file from a folder on docker start/restart. Sort of a quick fix for now.

1. Create a folder called 'openvpn_files' under your rtorrentvpn appdata folder (e.g. mkdir /mnt/user/appdata/rtorrentvpn/openvpn_files)
  2. Extract / copy the (PIA) .ovpn files to the above openvpn_files folder.
  3. Edit your docker template and change Repository to 'testdasi/rutorrentvpn-plus-plus' and Docker Hub URL to 'https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/testdasi/rutorrentvpn-plus-plus/'
  4. Apply and check log. If doesn't work then restart the docker and it will pick a random one from the openvpn_files.

To revert back to binhex's one, edit the docker template and change Repository to 'binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn' and Docker Hub URL to 'https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/'

So I've tried every endpoint in the PIA list and all throw this:

2020-09-09 10:39:03,388 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] List of PIA endpoints that support port forwarding:-
[info] ca-toronto.privateinternetaccess.com
[info] ca-montreal.privateinternetaccess.com
[info] ca-vancouver.privateinternetaccess.com
[info] de-berlin.privateinternetaccess.com
[info] de-frankfurt.privateinternetaccess.com
[info] france.privateinternetaccess.com
[info] czech.privateinternetaccess.com
[info] spain.privateinternetaccess.com
[info] ro.privateinternetaccess.com
[info] israel.privateinternetaccess.com
[info] Attempting to get dynamically assigned port...

2020-09-09 10:39:24,196 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Exit code '52' from curl != 0 or no response body received
[info] 12 retries left
[info] Retrying in 10 secs...

2020-09-09 10:39:24,196 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Exit code '52' from curl != 0 or no response body received
[info] 12 retries left
[info] Retrying in 10 secs...

Is PIA removing port forwarding ability completely?

If so, is there a different VPN that supports port forwarding that anyone would recommend?

EDIT, saw this on the PIA website:
* The information contained within this article will only work with our Current/Previous Generation servers. Our Next Generation servers do not currently offer port-forwarding outside of the application. *

So I guess as they upgrade their servers this will stop working.  Back to my other question then, can anyone recommend a different VPN that will work well with this docker?

Edited by dvd.collector

28 minutes ago, dvd.collector said:

Is PIA removing port forwarding ability completely?

The situation for PIA is as follows (at present):-

• Port forwarding on their legacy network is near enough dead, there are only certain servers for endpoint ca-vancouver that still work right now.
  • Port forwarding using openvpn on their next-gen network is currently not possible, api is not accessible.
  • Native wireguard support on their next-gen network is currently not possible (hacks are available but they are fragile!).

So where does that leave us?, well not quite up sh*t creek without a paddle :-), you can set 'STRICT_PORT_FORWARDING' to 'no' and this will then allow you to connect to any legacy endpoint, however this will mean you wont have a working incoming port so speeds will be lower than usual - its not ideal i know, but its the best we have got right now until PIA sort their sh*t out (not happy).

If you want to help out then PLEASE raise a support ticket via PIA web portal (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/new-ticket) and bitch about the above, the more people that complain the more pressure they have to do something about it!.

If you are completely pissed off with PIA (and i would completely understand this!) and want to switch then i recommend Mulllvad at this time, they are more pricey but they are solid and are privacy focused and support port forwarding.

Edited by binhex

2 minutes ago, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

My theory is that they have old and new servers at the location, and when it reaches the endpoint it is directed to one of the available servers and so it is luck of the draw as to if it gets connected to an old or new server. Pure speculation, so might be 100% wrong.

i think you are probably spot on here, its frustrating to say the least!

6 minutes ago, binhex said:

ca-vancouver

Only officially supported one left?

I deleted my post since you had a factually correct answer, just didnt pop up until after i had made my comment.

Edited by Cull2ArcaHeresy

Just now, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

Only officially supported one left?

officially i have heard nothing from PIA, i have posted on reddit (which they used to respond to and monitor), nothing!, i have raised a support ticket, nothing!, so right now i can only assume they are slowly disassembling the current network and working on their next-gen network, leaving people who require port forwarding and dont want to use their 'app' high and dry.

25 minutes ago, dvd.collector said:

EDIT, saw this on the PIA website:
* The information contained within this article will only work with our Current/Previous Generation servers. Our Next Generation servers do not currently offer port-forwarding outside of the application. *

So I guess as they upgrade their servers this will stop working.  Back to my other question then, can anyone recommend a different VPN that will work well with this docker?

Thanks for pointing out how port-forwarding will be done by PIA in future. I too will be in the same boat - and looking for suggestions for an alternative VPN.

On 9/7/2020 at 5:20 PM, testdasi said:

While we wait for binhex, I built a docker on top of his to randomly pick an .ovpn file from a folder on docker start/restart. Sort of a quick fix for now.

1. Create a folder called 'openvpn_files' under your rtorrentvpn appdata folder (e.g. mkdir /mnt/user/appdata/rtorrentvpn/openvpn_files)
  2. Extract / copy the (PIA) .ovpn files to the above openvpn_files folder.
  3. Edit your docker template and change Repository to 'testdasi/rutorrentvpn-plus-plus' and Docker Hub URL to 'https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/testdasi/rutorrentvpn-plus-plus/'
  4. Apply and check log. If doesn't work then restart the docker and it will pick a random one from the openvpn_files.

To revert back to binhex's one, edit the docker template and change Repository to 'binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn' and Docker Hub URL to 'https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/'

this method requires restarting the container, any reason to not have the line where an openvpn connection is established to pick a random *.ovpn file? Been meaning to try it, just havent yet. This way whenever it resets the connection it will try a new one (or pick the same again as random).