[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

2791 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK guys, multi remote endpoint support is now in for this image please pull down the new image (this change will be rolled out to all my vpn images shortly).   What this means is that the im

@binhex   Would it be possible to have the script run through a list of .ovpn files after failing to port forward with one? Use case would be, CA-Montreal is having port-forward API issues r

Out of nowhere my container is messing up. I've had it running with no problem for months and now I am getting a bunch of errors.   [01.03.2021 08:56:39] WebUI started. [01.03.2021 08:56:42]

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, psycho_asylum said:

I think you need a ^ in your regex for remote, probably the same for proto but I can't look further at the moment.

exactly!, just need to double check that lookbehind regex allows for this with grep.

18 hours ago, psycho_asylum said:

Thanks. I just updated my comment. It's also recognizing anywhere "proto" is present.  I've got it running now.  

changes are in, now anchored both remote and proto, please pull down the latest image in around an hour from this post.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:23 PM, tooviral said:

All I did was

1. Set up the port forward on Mullvad. 

2. Edited the .torrent.rc file and specified the port like this: network.port_range.set = xxxx-xxxx where xxxx is the port number and set "network.port_random.set = no"

and worked

This is what I have done, and its not working. I can't see what im missing. My torrent.rc file must be good  as its clearly trying to use the correct port. Did you make any changes to the mulvad openVPN config files. It's the only other place I can see it going wrong.

47 minutes ago, tooviral said:

didnt make any changes to the files, added user/pass to docker variable and put these files in the openvpn folder

mullvad.png.f3ec03adb46cb52399f553a16e4b6005.png

And when you check the port status in rTorrent’s GUI, it shows the forwarded port as open?  I’m set up exactly the same as you other than I’m using a different VPN location and I get the exclamation mark in the status bar with the message xxxxx: Port is closed. Where xxxxx is the forwarded port. 

Seems it may have been a fluke as I am now getting the red exclamation mark too.

My docker start command is as follows

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='binhex-rtorrentvpn' --net='bridge' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VPN_ENABLED'='yes' -e 'VPN_USER'='XXXX' -e 'VPN_PASS'='XXXX' -e 'VPN_REMOTE'='ca-tor-002.mullvad.net' -e 'VPN_PORT'='1198' -e 'VPN_PROTOCOL'='udp' -e 'VPN_INCOMING_PORT'='12528' -e 'VPN_DEVICE_TYPE'='tun' -e 'VPN_PROV'='custom' -e 'VPN_OPTIONS'='' -e 'STRONG_CERTS'='yes' -e 'ENABLE_PRIVOXY'='no' -e 'ENABLE_FLOOD'='no' -e 'LAN_NETWORK'='192.168.1.0/24' -e 'NAME_SERVERS'='192.168.1.1,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4' -e 'DEBUG'='false' -e 'PHP_TZ'='UTC' -e 'UMASK'='000' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'WEBUI_PASS'='XXXX' -e 'RPC2_PASS'='XXXX' -p '3001:3000/tcp' -p '5000:5000/tcp' -p '9080:9080/tcp' -p '9443:9443/tcp' -p '8119:8118/tcp' -v '/mnt/cache/downloads/':'/data':'rw' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn':'/config':'rw' --log-opt max-size=50m --log-opt max-file=1 'binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn'

Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by tooviral

So I've noticed in the logs this

2020-09-26 08:02:04,415 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Application does not require port forwarding or VPN provider is != pia, skipping incoming port assignment

It looks like its not setting the port forward.  Could this be my problem?

7 hours ago, tooviral said:

So I've noticed in the logs this

2020-09-26 08:02:04,415 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Application does not require port forwarding or VPN provider is != pia, skipping incoming port assignment

It looks like its not setting the port forward.  Could this be my problem?

it wont set the incoming port for you automatically, the only provider that i support automatic incoming port assignment is PIA, all others you need to manually assign the port using your vpn providers web portal and then set the port in the app.

8 hours ago, binhex said:

it wont set the incoming port for you automatically, the only provider that i support automatic incoming port assignment is PIA, all others you need to manually assign the port using your vpn providers web portal and then set the port in the app.

Ive done that in rtorrent.rc and added the variable  -e 'VPN_INCOMING_PORT'='12528' and it still shows a closed in rutorrent and https://portchecker.co/

14 hours ago, tooviral said:

Ive done that in rtorrent.rc and added the variable  -e 'VPN_INCOMING_PORT'='12528' and it still shows a closed in rutorrent and https://portchecker.co/

ok i have seen people report that the built in incoming port checker for rutorrent doesnt work, now it does work perfectly for me, so i can only assume its related to the vpn provider, possibly (and this is a theory at this point) mullvad (and maybe other providers) block incoming ICMP for allocated incoming ports, and therefore the built in check fails (check is done through a website and web scaped for result).

try this, look in the supervisord.log file to get your external ip address for the vpn connection (not your isp's external ip), and make a note of the incoming port assigned to you and then plug both of these values into this website:- https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

if it reports open then simply ignore the rutorrent checker and be happy :-), if it reports closed then further investigation is required.

3 hours ago, binhex said:

Support for multi remote endpoints and PIA 'Next-Gen' networks now complete, see Q19 and Q20 for details:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

This is working perfectly thanks. The only odd thing for me is I can’t get faster than 30MB/sec using the next gen servers, even one that’s not too far from my location and the port is reporting open by ruTorrent as well. Same torrent without port forwarding working gets at least 82MB/sec on my gigabit connection using Mullvad. I wonder if others with fast connections are seeing similar results. 

Edited by cardo

Hey - decided to give this container another go as I got sick of my slow speeds on your DelugeVPN option. It's either PIA related, or something I'm doing as everyone else isn't having slow speeds... I seem to have this sorted now on rTorrentVPN, & have a quick question. The below image is my ratio group settings... I'm looking for torrents to stop & have the data removed when the ratio hits 1.0-1.1, would this suggest it's accurate? I've stuck in a test download and the "UL target" is usually double the torrent size, no matter what the ratios are set to.

image.png.0fb5b63400bc93de46e02feac9ff62e9.png

Strike that - done another couple of tests, and they seem to all be deleting themselves within the 1.0-1.1 ratio, no matter what shows in the 'UL Target' or 'UL Remaining'. Another wee thing, though, I just want to double check, but would amending the '#throttle.global_up.max_rate.set_kb = 0' to something like '350' here:

image.png.9780dfee3986b52ebdbe347779e3f673.png

change this value:

image.png.104b72f14d5f4c9f3eb6dadb38cbe36b.png

Seems straight forward enough, but just making sure before I edit anything, as I have been known to "misunderstand" wordings before haha.

Edited by xxDeadbolt
6 hours ago, binhex said:

news to me, got a link?

no luck finding where saw, best guess is misreading/misremembering [the following wrong premises/logical conclusion] 1) nextgen uses (only) wireguard, 2) wireguard prone to hacks (instead of requiring hacks to work), thus 3) nextgen prone to hacks

Edited by Cull2ArcaHeresy
clarify