[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid DVB

I don't see how you can extrapolate the firmware version from anything I've seen posted here.  The link I posted was from the Linux TV wiki.  One thought, might be worth trying the CrazyCat version as that's pretty up to date.  I'll try and take a look at some point in the next couple of days to establish which version is which though.  Changing it is not an easy task for a number of reasons though.

I'm guessing the plugin is using 4.0.11 because:

- 4.0.11 mentioned here https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-quadHD#Firmware in the 'first tune' section

- firmware here updated over a year ago https://github.com/OpenELEC/dvb-firmware/blob/master/firmware/dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw

First link has got no connection to these DVB builds, 2nd link isn't the source of the firmware in these images, although after comparing the md5sum for the different builds I can confirn that it is 4.0.11  :D

I suggested earlier that you try the CrazyCat build, have you done so? 

Checking the md5sum for CrazyCat firmware version and 4.0.25 it would appear it's the version you're looking for.

I hadn't seen this post and I'd logged on with the intention to feed back on how my CrazyCat 6.3.1. test went...

Brilliantly and the 4.0.25 firmware did the trick.  TVHeadend tuned all channels straightaway - I'd spent days trying before!  It was still a bit slow in Kodi for me, so I went back to dvblink in a docker as I'm more familiar with it and it's working well and finally passed WAF - getting the odd crash when changing channels and some initial buffering, but I think I can fix that in Kodi.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thought dvblink in a docker wasn't working?

It isnt.  Running in a VM (can configure over network).  Got over the problem of having to log a user in automatically to run in background by creating a Windows child account using parental controls that isn't an admin, can't access shares, browsers etc

Thanks CHBMB, Will give them a go when it arrives, it's this post that has me worried;

https://tvheadend.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/tbs-6981-debacle/

Hopefully the problem has been fixed with the open source drivers.

Jesus, that's over 3 years old....  :o

Besides there are moves to open source driver model anyway, and a migration from closed to open requires a fresh install of TVH.  I'd advise anyone starting out to use the Open Source drivers at this point.

Thanks CHBMB, Will give them a go when it arrives, it's this post that has me worried;

https://tvheadend.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/tbs-6981-debacle/

Hopefully the problem has been fixed with the open source drivers.

Besides there are moves to open source driver model anyway, and a migration from closed to open requires a fresh install of TVH.  I'd advise anyone starting out to use the Open Source drivers at this point.

Don't you have a TBS6984 card? So you should know if it works well or not  ;);D

When I used my TBS6984 I didn't really have any problems. But I don't remember anymore which drivers I used. I think I used the open source ones.

Its an old card :) reading that thread made it seem like the issue with the 6981 and the official drivers wasn't likely to get resolved and from what I can tell the 6984 is basically 2 6981's.

open source it is then, thanks.

Its an old card :) reading that thread made it seem like the issue with the 6981 and the official drivers wasn't likely to get resolved and from what I can tell the 6984 is basically 2 6981's.

open source it is then, thanks.

AFAIK Konstantin is no longer with TBS, he left/was fired and that's what has propelled development of the open source drivers.

On 2/20/2017 at 11:02 AM, CHBMB said:

If anyone is using the Hauppauge WinTV-QuadHD, I've found that the TBS Open Source version of unraid-dvb seems to be the best build for it.

I had been trying to use the Openelec version for months and had poor or no reception for many channels (Melbourne-AUS) and didn't even think to try any of the other unraid-dvb builds, but the post above from CHBMB spurred me to give them a try. I tried the TBS-Crazycat build the other day but that seemed to give too many syslog errors, so switched to the TBS Open Source build and it's looking great so far. Rock solid streaming 10+ channels from 4 muxes to a Win10 VM all on the one unraid box. :-)

All I need now is the Plex devs to enhance Plex DVR so that it can be used for Live TV and make tvheadend a 1st class source so I don't have to use tvhProxy on a separate VM!

34 minutes ago, Zan said:

If anyone is using the Hauppauge WinTV-QuadHD, I've found that the TBS Open Source version of unraid-dvb seems to be the best build for it.

I had been trying to use the Openelec version for months and had poor or no reception for many channels (Melbourne-AUS) and didn't even think to try any of the other unraid-dvb builds, but the post above from CHBMB spurred me to give them a try. I tried the TBS-Crazycat build the other day but that seemed to give too many syslog errors, so switched to the TBS Open Source build and it's looking great so far. Rock solid streaming 10+ channels from 4 muxes to a Win10 VM all on the one unraid box. :-)

All I need now is the Plex devs to enhance Plex DVR so that it can be used for Live TV and make tvheadend a 1st class source so I don't have to use tvhProxy on a separate VM!

I switched from Openelec to Crazycat (see a bit earlier) as also had problems, but I hadn't tried the TBS Open Source.  Before I do, where do I see the syslog errors to see if I'm having the same problems?

Other than the lack of errors, do your tuners perform better in any way?

I'm wondering if anyone can help, as I'm not very good with Linux.

I'm trying to get a PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner (USB) working, with TVheadend. I'm not sure what the underlying issue is, but there are two obvious errors I can relate:

(1) After installing this plugin and trying both the latest LibreELEC and TBS OpenSource versions, it says the DVB Kernel is detected, but the DVB Adapter Drivers are not detected. This is after rebooting the server.

(2) Installing the USB tuner and checking the System Log, it recognises the device, but I receive the error: "BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000549". I have no idea what this means, but I think it's stopping the system from being able to use it.

I have reverted to a vanilla Unraid 6.3.2. build in the meantime, as I don't have the knowledge necessary to fix this on my own.

Any ideas? Thank you.

I have tried the CrazyCat build, but again, immediately after rebooting, the UnRAID DVB Edition Settings screen reports that DVD Adapter Drivers are not installed. The error I receive when trying to install the TVHeadEnd docker is as follows: /usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: linux runtime spec devices: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/dvb": lstat /dev/dvb: no such file or directory.

Edited by silverrrr
CrazyCat update
I switched from Openelec to Crazycat (see a bit earlier) as also had problems, but I hadn't tried the TBS Open Source.  Before I do, where do I see the syslog errors to see if I'm having the same problems?

I'm trying to get a PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner (USB) working, with TVheadend. I'm not sure what the underlying issue is, but there are two obvious errors I can relate:

(1) After installing this plugin and trying both the latest LibreELEC and TBS OpenSource versions, it says the DVB Kernel is detected, but the DVB Adapter Drivers are not detected. This is after rebooting the server.

(2) Installing the USB tuner and checking the System Log, it recognises the device, but I receive the error: "BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000549". I have no idea what this means, but I think it's stopping the system from being able to use it.

I have reverted to a vanilla Unraid 6.3.2. build in the meantime, as I don't have the knowledge necessary to fix this on my own.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Try the CrazyCat build.
On 23/02/2017 at 7:27 PM, silverrrr said:

Any ideas? Thank you.

I have tried the CrazyCat build, but again, immediately after rebooting, the UnRAID DVB Edition Settings screen reports that DVD Adapter Drivers are not installed. The error I receive when trying to install the TVHeadEnd docker is as follows: /usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: linux runtime spec devices: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/dvb": lstat /dev/dvb: no such file or directory.

Sorry, been a bit tied up at home the last couple of days.  Had a look here. And it should be straightforward, can confirm both the drivers and firmware are in the libreELEC image.  Looks like a kernel bug is stopping it from working, unfortunately that sort of thing is so far upstream of where I'm working I'm not sure there's anything I can do tbh.  I'm sure someone else in the thread has been using a Hauppage stick based on the same chipset successfully though.  Have you tried a different USB slot?  Only thing that I can think of to be honest.

On 2/23/2017 at 11:29 AM, DZMM said:

You should just see a bunch of I2C errors and other stuff. With the TBS Open Source drivers, my WinTV-QuadHD (DVB-T2) has been pretty much rock solid. Have had 'Time Missed' errors in tvheadend so not sure what happened there, but other than that it's been great. I've switched to passthrough for recording format because the MKV formats can't be "skip forwarded" when watching in VLC. Comskip also generates commercial start/end times with passthrough but not with the MKV formats.

@meep I've rolled back the Digital Devices driver in this 6.3.2 build for you to try.  You can download it here.  You will only need the bzroot and bzimage files and just replace the ones already on your flash disk.

If that doesn't work then I guess the next step would be to contact Digital Devices.....

You haven't said what version Unraid you were running before, that would also be helpful to know.

Edited by CHBMB
2 hours ago, CHBMB said:

@meep I've rolled back the Digital Devices driver in this 6.3.2 build for you to try.  You can download it here.  You will only need the bzroot and bzimage files and just replace the ones already on your flash disk.

If that doesn't work then I guess the next step would be to contact Digital Devices.....

You haven't said what version Unraid you were running before, that would also be helpful to know.

Many thanks. I'll try that later or tomorrow as I'm copying a bunch of stuff at the moment.

i was on the last 6.2.x , (6.2.4. IThunk, but whatever the last one in that series was)

13 minutes ago, meep said:

Many thanks. I'll try that later or tomorrow as I'm copying a bunch of stuff at the moment.

i was on the last 6.2.x , (6.2.4. IThunk, but whatever the last one in that series was)

So v6.2.4 used version 0.9.26 this build I've just done is 0.9.28 and the one that didn't work for you was 0.9.28v7a

22 hours ago, CHBMB said:

So v6.2.4 used version 0.9.26 this build I've just done is 0.9.28 and the one that didn't work for you was 0.9.28v7a

So I downloaded and copied these bz files on two systems (a mac and a pc) but both attempts generated the same error when booting unRAID;

invalid or corrupt kernel image

I thought I'd revert to 6.2.4 but unfortunately could not as my 'previous' bz files were for 6.1.9. (Should updating via DVB edition write current bz fries to previous directory?)

I downloaded the fiesta from Linusxerver.io and got 6.2.4 up and running but all my dockers were missing so I'm back on 6.3.2 with tow DVB-S tuners working.

I alos note call trace errors and IRQ30 'nobody cared' errors. IRQ30 is assigned to one of the DD tuners.

10 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

I know why. My fault I think I configured filezilla wrong when I uploaded them. Blame a newborn and sleep deprivation.

Just going out, I'll reupload later today and ping you.

Now you have a good excuse when you mess up :D

4 hours ago, meep said:

So I downloaded and copied these bz files on two systems (a mac and a pc) but both attempts generated the same error when booting unRAID;

invalid or corrupt kernel image

I thought I'd revert to 6.2.4 but unfortunately could not as my 'previous' bz files were for 6.1.9. (Should updating via DVB edition write current bz fries to previous directory?)

I downloaded the fiesta from Linusxerver.io and got 6.2.4 up and running but all my dockers were missing so I'm back on 6.3.2 with tow DVB-S tuners working.

I alos note call trace errors and IRQ30 'nobody cared' errors. IRQ30 is assigned to one of the DD tuners.

@meep Try those links again.  Re-uploaded as binary rather than ASCII in filezilla.

4 hours ago, saarg said:

Now you have a good excuse when you mess up :D

There has to be at least one benefit... :)

17 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

@meep Try those links again.  Re-uploaded as binary rather than ASCII in filezilla.

There has to be at least one benefit... :)

Thanks so much for fining the time to look at this!

This version booted OK but unfortunately, I see the same problem when I review tuner devices in TVHeadEnd - two DVB-S tuners work OK and two are mis-reported and don't allow me to set Networks on them.

15 minutes ago, meep said:

Thanks so much for fining the time to look at this!

This version booted OK but unfortunately, I see the same problem when I review tuner devices in TVHeadEnd - two DVB-S tuners work OK and two are mis-reported and don't allow me to set Networks on them.

OK, only other things I can think of is:

1.  Is there anything you can do to configure these modes with ddbridge.conf?

2.  I'll make another version rolling back the drivers to the same as they were on v6.2.4, if that doesn't work, you'll have to contact digital devices I think, as there's nothing else I can think of that I can do.... :S

Just running the build now, I'll ping with a link when it's finished and uploaded. ;-)

• Squid locked this topic