[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid DVB

so the nvidia kernel has dvb support in it.

so can i extract the kernel modules and firmware from the bzroot for dvb and insert them into the nvidia bzroot?

edit:

Axtually i cant see support in the kernel, maybe i’m confused about what the dvb kernel installer reports.

Edited by Fizzyade
1 hour ago, Fizzyade said:

so the nvidia kernel has dvb support in it.

so can i extract the kernel modules and firmware from the bzroot for dvb and insert them into the nvidia bzroot?

edit:

Axtually i cant see support in the kernel, maybe i’m confused about what the dvb kernel installer reports.

No, the nvidia version does not have dvb support.

For now you can't use both a dvb card and nvidia card at the same time.

10 minutes ago, saarg said:

No, the nvidia version does not have dvb support.

For now you can't use both a dvb card and nvidia card at the same time.

I’ve extracted the bzmodules from the LibreELEC dvb build, I know which modules I need for my Xbox one card, will the modules compiled from the DVB build insmod successfully on the Nvidia build?  Looking around it seems that it’s just the dvb modules and firmware that need to be there, as far as i can tell a modified kernel is not required for my card.  I’m hoping that the kernel modules will be compatible.

i’m going to try tomorrow copying the modules to the ram mounted fs and try installing them and see what that gets me, if it works then I can either rebuild the modules and firmware squashfs files or provide a script on load to copy the files on boot and then insmod them.

Theory and practice are two different things though.

3 minutes ago, BRiT said:

It's a bit of an upfront cost, but it pays for itself from ease of use and free of hassles by not requiring custom kernels if you switch over to using a network-based tuners such as HDHomeRun. 

4 xbox one tuners cost me 20 pounds, it’s around 150 for the 4 tuner hd homerun.  big difference!  plus i can add extra tuners as required for 5 pounds a go.....

hdhomerun would be less hassle though, i’d prefer to do this all on unraid, but if i end up having to use a pi just for headend the it’s no great issue.

If i get any problems then i’ll reconsider.

7 hours ago, Fizzyade said:

I’ve extracted the bzmodules from the LibreELEC dvb build, I know which modules I need for my Xbox one card, will the modules compiled from the DVB build insmod successfully on the Nvidia build?  Looking around it seems that it’s just the dvb modules and firmware that need to be there, as far as i can tell a modified kernel is not required for my card.  I’m hoping that the kernel modules will be compatible.

i’m going to try tomorrow copying the modules to the ram mounted fs and try installing them and see what that gets me, if it works then I can either rebuild the modules and firmware squashfs files or provide a script on load to copy the files on boot and then insmod them.

Theory and practice are two different things though.

If it would have been an easy thing, we (read the almighty bald one) would have released a combined build for nvidia and dvb.

It was tested, but there was some issues with devices not working.

You might be lucky and your combo works.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Fizzyade said:

4 xbox one tuners cost me 20 pounds, it’s around 150 for the 4 tuner hd homerun.  big difference!  plus i can add extra tuners as required for 5 pounds a go.....

hdhomerun would be less hassle though, i’d prefer to do this all on unraid, but if i end up having to use a pi just for headend the it’s no great issue.

If i get any problems then i’ll reconsider.

I only ever recommend network tuners these days. It takes away alot of the stress of getting stuff like this configured, granted it does cost more but in the long run it's much more hassle free. I used to run PCI-e for my DVB-T2/DVB-S2 setup, now I just use a network tuner (Digitbit R1) which TVHeadend controls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, saarg said:

If it would have been an easy thing, we (read the almighty bald one) would have released a combined build for nvidia and dvb.

It was tested, but there was some issues with devices not working.

You might be lucky and your combo works.

Alas I think you are right.

I renamed /lib, created a new /lib and copied the original contents into it and then overlaid the dvb files from the dvb build.

When i plugged in my stick, it identified it and loaded the drivers, the device nodes all appeared.  Check mesg, firmware for the chipset and tuner were loaded into the device.

I was hopeful...

started up tvheadend container (privileged for testing) and it detected the device, added the muxes and scanned....

FAIL on every mux :(

I might revisit this and see if i can see anything obvious, it was literally a 10 minute test with no troubleshooting other than checking that firmware was loaded.

Close, but no cigar sadly.

7 hours ago, j0nnymoe said:

I only ever recommend network tuners these days. It takes away alot of the stress of getting stuff like this configured, granted it does cost more but in the long run it's much more hassle free. I used to run PCI-e for my DVB-T2/DVB-S2 setup, now I just use a network tuner (Digitbit R1) which TVHeadend controls.

It’s been very easy and trivial on raspbian, everything other than tv headend and the tuner firmware was installed.

More tuners arrived today, so got 6 xbox one tuners plugged in to the pi and the pi tv hat, working fine.

Looks like a spider with all those tuners hanging off it though! lol

It’s been very easy and trivial on raspbian, everything other than tv headend and the tuner firmware was installed.

More tuners arrived today, so got 6 xbox one tuners plugged in to the pi and the pi tv hat, working fine.

Looks like a spider with all those tuners hanging off it though! lol
You could run Sat-IP on the Raspbian and then tvheadend on Unraid. Sat-IP would turn your Pi into a network tuner.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

You could run Sat-IP on the Raspbian and then tvheadend on Unraid. Sat-IP would turn your Pi into a network tuner.

any advantage to this as opposed to running tvheadend on unraid? i’m only using tvheadend as a m3u source for emby which is running on unraid, I don’t actually use anything else in tvheadend, not even their epg data.

any advantage to this as opposed to running tvheadend on unraid? i’m only using tvheadend as a m3u source for emby which is running on unraid, I don’t actually use anything else in tvheadend, not even their epg data.
Yeah, you don't need to install drivers on Unraid, so you could use the Nvidia plugin if you wanted.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CHBMB said:

Yeah, you don't need to install drivers on Unraid, so you could use the Nvidia plugin if you wanted.

sorry, i meant running tvheadend on the pi, apologies,

im just having a read up to see if there are any particular advantages to doing this.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:41 AM, CHBMB said:

TEST BUILDS FOR NVIDIA/DVB COMBINED

People have asked if I'll produce a combined Nvidia/DVB build.  Here's the thing, I have no intention of producing separate and combined builds, the workload is just too much for something I have no need of.  It would need 8 builds on top of the Nvidia build to do so.  I will however produce a combined build, depending on two conditions.

1.  People don't mind an increased download size.

2.  It works reliably.

However I no longer have any DVB hardware so I can't test.  So I've produced some combination builds for people to try out.  I am only doing this for v6.7.1rc2, so if nobody tests each build then it's not going to happen.  So if you want it, YOU need to test it.

HOW TO USE

1.  Download the Nvidia build of v6.7.1rc2 (Important - Do not use any other version)

2.  Once the build has downloaded and the window indicating the copying to flash has happened and before you reboot, download one of the attached zip files depending on which DVB build you use, unpack it and copy across the bzmodules and bzfirmware files to your flash disk.

3.  Reboot

I know that the Nvidia Plugin will not report the correct version number, that's an easy fix in the future if this works.  Once you've rebooted I need to know two things for each build.

1.  Does the Nvidia hardware encoding work with Plex/Emby/Jellyfin?

2.  Does the DVB hardware work?

libreelec-nvidia-v6.7.1rc2.zip 22.81 MB · 12 downloads tbs-os-nvidia-v6.7.1rc2.zip 18.35 MB · 2 downloads tbs-crazycat-nvidia-v6.7.1rc2.zip 18.51 MB · 4 downloads dd-nvidia-v6.7.1rc2.zip 17.47 MB · 5 downloads

Hi CHBMB and thanks for this post.

Are you still on 6.7.1rc2 or do you already implement this change in the stable version?

How I can support this idea? I'm one of this users, that need nvidia and dvb support :)

Regards

Rokk

Edited by Rokk
26 minutes ago, BRiT said:

As he said, you wont need to have drivers installed on unRaid.

you misunderstood due to me typing the wrong thing, my fault.

What i meant to ask is:

what is the advantage of running a sat ip server on the pi as opposed to tvheadend on the pi.

the answer would seem that the sat up server is more lightweight.  i’ve installed a server and it has detected all my cards and my tv headend has detected the server as well.  i can’t switch from tvheadend to being active to satip as there’s currently some recordings currently happening.  Will try either later tonight or in the morning,

• Thanks 1

Oh yeah, as much as the Pi's are nifty, they're still a bit anemic on the CPU front compared to an unRaid Server. I don't know exactly how taxing running DVR engines are or what the breaking point is on Pi, as to how much it can support. Make sure the Pi is also on a UPS so you won't get glitches on recordings or minutes of downtime from rebooting. The last time I dealt with Pi's they took forever.

3 hours ago, BRiT said:

Oh yeah, as much as the Pi's are nifty, they're still a bit anemic on the CPU front compared to an unRaid Server. I don't know exactly how taxing running DVR engines are or what the breaking point is on Pi, as to how much it can support. Make sure the Pi is also on a UPS so you won't get glitches on recordings or minutes of downtime from rebooting. The last time I dealt with Pi's they took forever.

it’s not currently on a UPS, but that’s because i’m just testing at the moment really, but yes, it will be going onto a shelf in my rack with the ups.

I have it up and running now with minisatip and tvheadend running in a container on unraid, currently 4 of the DVB inputs are active, the other 3 should hopefully be up and running when my distribution amp turns up tomorrow.  

minisatip looks like it takes its not really taxing the pi 4 that much, i’ll do some proper tests tomorrow when i will try to get all the tuners working at once.

Thanks for mentioning sat ip guys, i like the simple stat page just showing the status of the tuners.

• Thanks 1

Another question, I know I can pass my nvidia gpu into the tvheadend container using the same method as the Emby container.

Does anybody do this and make use of hardware transcoding from the headend server?  I'm having issues with streams taking a long time to start in emby and it's been suggested that it's because the clients don't support the codec, I was wondering whether using a ffmpeg command optimised for fast streaming and using hardware transcoding might solve this?

I'm guessing the headend docker container doesn't support nvenc/nvdec out of the box, do I need to replace ffmpeg?

Edit:

i should probably take this off to the nvidia kernel thread as it’s not relevant to this container.

Edited by Fizzyade

I tried rc6, my TBS 5990 is still not recognized.

Any ideas?

Some logs:

lsusb:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/3pHdfrTDJC/

lsmod:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/Nx6VFvjsMk/

ls -al /dev/dvb:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/BWJTrKNQGx/

modprobe -v cx231xx
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/MFDMqPZmKp/

dmesg:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/65pjq27k3F/

/var/log/syslog:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/GxX9CJNrGS/

Edited by olfolfolf
2 hours ago, olfolfolf said:

I tried rc6, my TBS 5990 is still not recognized.

Any ideas?

Some logs:

lsusb:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/3pHdfrTDJC/

lsmod:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/Nx6VFvjsMk/

ls -al /dev/dvb:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/BWJTrKNQGx/

modprobe -v cx231xx
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/MFDMqPZmKp/

dmesg:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/65pjq27k3F/

/var/log/syslog:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/GxX9CJNrGS/

Assuming you're using the TBS build yeah?

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do or reconfigure for this, as TBS is it's own separate tree unlike the LibreELEC one which I do need to select things.

Your card should be supported according to the wiki here.

https://github.com/tbsdtv/linux_media/wiki

5 hours ago, Fizzyade said:

Another question, I know I can pass my nvidia gpu into the tvheadend container using the same method as the Emby container.

Does anybody do this and make use of hardware transcoding from the headend server?  I'm having issues with streams taking a long time to start in emby and it's been suggested that it's because the clients don't support the codec, I was wondering whether using a ffmpeg command optimised for fast streaming and using hardware transcoding might solve this?

I'm guessing the headend docker container doesn't support nvenc/nvdec out of the box, do I need to replace ffmpeg?

Edit:

i should probably take this off to the nvidia kernel thread as it’s not relevant to this container.

It's not working in tvheadend. I tried to get it working, but gave up as tvheadend didn't see the library files at all. No time at the moment to try to figure it out.

12 hours ago, saarg said:

It's not working in tvheadend. I tried to get it working, but gave up as tvheadend didn't see the library files at all. No time at the moment to try to figure it out.

I installed a ffmpeg docker container which has a nvidia build of ffmpeg as the entrypoint, I added the docker socket to the tvheadend container and can quite happily run ffmpeg using hardware transcoding using pipe:0 for input and pipe:1 for output (docker exec -t ffmpeg <ffmpeg options> inside the tvheadend container), running nvidia-smi on the host shows ffmpeg using transcoding.

For the life of me though I can't get it to work by adding the ffmpeg command in tvheadend, nothing happens.  There's no log file or anything either, so it makes it difficult to see what the actual problem is.  I feel I'm close to having this working, but it's eluding me.

Edit:

got it working.

Basically I created a modified entry point and map that over the existing one, the entry point installs docker and sets the permissions on docker.sock so it's accessible by the uid that tvheadend runs under.

I created a ffmpeg.hw file which does a ffmpeg exec on the ffmpeg container, this is mounted into /usr/local/bin.

Then it's just a matter of creating a stream profile that uses the new ffmpeg passing in the appropriate nvdec nvenc parameters.

Verified that both hardware decoding of the incoming stream and hardware encoding of the output stream is happening.

Awesome.  Now I can set about tweaking everything for optimum performance.

To recap, I now have tvheadend using nvidia hardware encoding/decoding.

Edited by Fizzyade
19 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Assuming you're using the TBS build yeah?

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do or reconfigure for this, as TBS is it's own separate tree unlike the LibreELEC one which I do need to select things.

Your card should be supported according to the wiki here.

https://github.com/tbsdtv/linux_media/wiki

Yes, I'm sorry.. Sure it's about the TBS build.

Maybe I should also think about switching to SAT IP..

• Squid locked this topic