[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid DVB

10 hours ago, Fizzyade said:

I installed a ffmpeg docker container which has a nvidia build of ffmpeg as the entrypoint, I added the docker socket to the tvheadend container and can quite happily run ffmpeg using hardware transcoding using pipe:0 for input and pipe:1 for output (docker exec -t ffmpeg <ffmpeg options> inside the tvheadend container), running nvidia-smi on the host shows ffmpeg using transcoding.

For the life of me though I can't get it to work by adding the ffmpeg command in tvheadend, nothing happens.  There's no log file or anything either, so it makes it difficult to see what the actual problem is.  I feel I'm close to having this working, but it's eluding me.

Edit:

got it working.

Basically I created a modified entry point and map that over the existing one, the entry point installs docker and sets the permissions on docker.sock so it's accessible by the uid that tvheadend runs under.

I created a ffmpeg.hw file which does a ffmpeg exec on the ffmpeg container, this is mounted into /usr/local/bin.

Then it's just a matter of creating a stream profile that uses the new ffmpeg passing in the appropriate nvdec nvenc parameters.

Verified that both hardware decoding of the incoming stream and hardware encoding of the output stream is happening.

Awesome.  Now I can set about tweaking everything for optimum performance.

To recap, I now have tvheadend using nvidia hardware encoding/decoding.

That's the sort of thing you really should write up so others can benefit from ;)

49 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

That's the sort of thing you really should write up so others can benefit from ;)

yep, going to buddy.  will create a gist on my github account,  i realise this has deviated somewhat from my original question, but i figured as there was a trail of questions and work that just finishing it off in here was a logical thing to do if somebody came across this, sorry for the slightly off topic post.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but some of the points raised have piqued my interest in getting TV back and working - specifically using a Pi as a streamer (as I can't afford a Homerun right now).

If I were to be using TVHProxy and Plex, would TVHeadend need to do any transcoding?  Specifically, would any heavy-lifting be needed on a Pi if I installed TVHeadend and TVHProxy on it?  Or would Plex do the transcoding (which is already using my graphics card)?

You could always fall back on Sat-IP on the Pi and TVHeadend on the Unraid box if processing was excessive, but as Plex is already using my card it would be nice to hive all DVR functionality to a TV box if possible.  I wouldn't be planning on using TVHeadend as anything else (ie, direct connections from other clients), as I'd want Plex to be the sole interface.

8 hours ago, mkfelidae said:

I have a Hauppauge 955D USB device also known as a WinTV-dualHD (ATSC) I would like to know if this plugin will provide the ability to pass this to a Plex Docker container?  Thanks in advance.

Just install the plugin and try the different builds to see if your card gets detected.

Or Google the different build options to see which cards are supported.

On 11/22/2019 at 8:56 AM, mkfelidae said:

I have a Hauppauge 955D USB device also known as a WinTV-dualHD (ATSC) I would like to know if this plugin will provide the ability to pass this to a Plex Docker container?  Thanks in advance.

Yea got mine a couple days ago and got it working with LibreElec build. Just seems to be having trouble tuning in and start streaming sometimes.

59 minutes ago, psycmos said:

You are using THV for tunning?

Bus 001 Device 003:ID 2040:8265 Hauppauge dualHD

So this is WinTV-dualHD, USB-tuner. I was able to use this with Plex docker after installing LibreELEC build for Unraid RC6 (and adding "--device=/dev/dvb" to the Extra Parameters in Plex docker's advanced settings view).

I just bought this tuner but my problem is that it's a bit like hit and miss... I did most of my testing via Iphone app so I'm not sure if that's the reason but sometimes I could change the channel and it would tune in and start streaming after a couple seconds(I tried both, WiFi and 4G), but sometimes I could only hear voice and see only a frozen picture. I was able to record one program and it came up really nice quality(1080i, 8,2Mbps). But I'm not sure yet what settings to try and change to make this tuner work like a charm. Also I'd like to know if I'm going to buy a GTX 1660/1650 Super to make transcoding easier... Is it automatically going to be used for DVB side as well when I transcode the live channel?

I wasn't able to test it for a long time, maybe one hour before I saw that Unraid had released RC7 and installed it without realizing that it would screw up my DVB plugin until the new build is released. Soooo, now I'm just patiently waiting for the update. 😃

Edited by Stalkkaaja
On 11/23/2019 at 2:48 PM, Stalkkaaja said:

Bus 001 Device 003:ID 2040:8265 Hauppauge dualHD

So this is WinTV-dualHD, USB-tuner. I was able to use this with Plex docker after installing LibreELEC build for Unraid RC6 (and adding "--device=/dev/dvb" to the Extra Parameters in Plex docker's advanced settings view).

I just bought this tuner but my problem is that it's a bit like hit and miss... I did most of my testing via Iphone app so I'm not sure if that's the reason but sometimes I could change the channel and it would tune in and start streaming after a couple seconds(I tried both, WiFi and 4G), but sometimes I could only hear voice and see only a frozen picture. I was able to record one program and it came up really nice quality(1080i, 8,2Mbps). But I'm not sure yet what settings to try and change to make this tuner work like a charm. Also I'd like to know if I'm going to buy a GTX 1660/1650 Super to make transcoding easier... Is it automatically going to be used for DVB side as well when I transcode the live channel?

I wasn't able to test it for a long time, maybe one hour before I saw that Unraid had released RC7 and installed it without realizing that it would screw up my DVB plugin until the new build is released. Soooo, now I'm just patiently waiting for the update. 😃

I solve this problem using MINISATIP docker.
Use extra "--device=/dev/dvb" at minisatIP and use TV headend docker for tune.
You will be able to find tuners via IP converted by MINISAT and WinTV-dualHD WORKS PERFECT ;)

2 hours ago, piotrasd said:

if somebody looking 6.8rc9 tbs-os 

https://www.sendspace.com/file/lh6jr4

It errored out on rc8, haven't tried RC9 yet.

If you want to contribute to the DVB plugin, I'll quite happily add you on Github.  Seems more convenient to everyone that way, users get to use the plugin rather than installing manually, no need to post links to ad laden download sites ;)

32 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

It errored out on rc8, haven't tried RC9 yet.

If you want to contribute to the DVB plugin, I'll quite happily add you on Github.  Seems more convenient to everyone that way, users get to use the plugin rather than installing manually, no need to post links to ad laden download sites ;)

no problem sorry :) I just noticed few days ago the RC8 is missing in plugin for TBS-OS in meantime was released rc9 so I compiled myself because I didn't know when to expect new compilation. anyway @CHBMB really good job !! with script, plugins etc ! 

Just now, piotrasd said:

no problem sorry :) I just noticed few days ago the RC8 is missing in plugin for TBS-OS in meantime was released rc9 so I compiled myself because I didn't know when to expect new compilation. anyway @CHBMB really good job !! with script, plugins etc ! 

No need to apologise, I'm serious about my offer.  Happy to accept contributors!  Especially as I don't use this myself at all.

8 hours ago, CHBMB said:

v6.8.0 LibreELEC, TBS-OS, Digital Devices all done and uploaded.

Thanks, I'm halfway through updating to 6.8.0

I had trouble ~6months ago because I got a never ending splash screen. You got me straightened out by doing a custom "download.sh" script and loading the files onto the flash drive. At the time I pulled the flash drive and loaded them manually, but u/saarg said:

On 6/29/2019 at 3:33 PM, saarg said:

Why did you take out the USB? You only had to copy it to /boot/ while your server was running.

Can someone ELI5 on how I have to copy it to /boot/? Is this something that is simple for regular linux users that I'll have a hard time doing with windows? Is there a way to map //tower/boot or something so I can easily access it?

P.S. I still have a never ending splash screen on UnraidDVB

OK, I'm still having trouble with the 6.8.0 update.

To start off, I just updated the OS and I started getting this error:

Dec 12 19:33:47 Tower rc.docker: plex: Error response from daemon: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/dvb": no such file or directory
Dec 12 19:33:47 Tower rc.docker: Error: failed to start containers: plex

I recognized the "/dev/dvd" and it reminded me to update UnraidDVB. I did what I did in June and ran the download.sh file after I updated it for 6.8.0. It' downloaded the files, I copied them to flash and I rebooted. I still have the same error, but I did confirm that in the background of the UnraidDVB page it's showing the proper 6.8.0 behind the never ending splash screen.

Side Note: I think the error tied to my never ending splash screen is this:

Dec 12 21:56:51 Tower nginx: 2019/12/12 21:56:51 [error] 6507#6507: *874 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.2.123, server: , request: "POST /plugins/UnraidDVB/include/exec.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock", host: "tower", referrer: "http://tower/Settings/UnraidDVB"

Not sure if either of those messages help understand my issue.

For now I'm going to try to roll back to 6.7.2

Edit: I think I may have done something wrong, or maybe something right. I overwrote the flash with files I backed up earlier and then rolled back to 6.7.2, but after the boot my system thinks it's on 6.8.0, and plex seems to be working.... Still have never ending splash, but I can live with that.

Edited by Mike Rando
update
8 hours ago, Mike Rando said:

OK, I'm still having trouble with the 6.8.0 update.

To start off, I just updated the OS and I started getting this error:

I recognized the "/dev/dvd" and it reminded me to update UnraidDVB. I did what I did in June and ran the download.sh file after I updated it for 6.8.0. It' downloaded the files, I copied them to flash and I rebooted. I still have the same error, but I did confirm that in the background of the UnraidDVB page it's showing the proper 6.8.0 behind the never ending splash screen.

Side Note: I think the error tied to my never ending splash screen is this:

Not sure if either of those messages help understand my issue.

For now I'm going to try to roll back to 6.7.2

Edit: I think I may have done something wrong, or maybe something right. I overwrote the flash with files I backed up earlier and then rolled back to 6.7.2, but after the boot my system thinks it's on 6.8.0, and plex seems to be working.... Still have never ending splash, but I can live with that.

To be honest, I'm just confused.

The script is still in this thread here somewhere.

42 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

To be honest, I'm just confused.

The script is still in this thread here somewhere.

At this point my only problem is the never ending splash.

Dec 12 21:56:51 Tower nginx: 2019/12/12 21:56:51 [error] 6507#6507: *874 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.2.123, server: , request: "POST /plugins/UnraidDVB/include/exec.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock", host: "tower", referrer: "http://tower/Settings/UnraidDVB"

• Squid locked this topic