Why is it impossible to find mobo everything builtin? 2011-3, ipmi, sas spf+

As I patiently wait for E5v4s, I started to look for a replacement motherboard. I was looking for LGA 20111-v3 for E5 V4, but wanted to experiment with ipmi, get spf+ (mostly for future proof), and lastly wanted to have SAS compatibility or at least have 3 pcie slots to put my SAS cards (or have native SAS Support).

but as I research more, unlike consumer mobo, there's no server mobo that comes with all the features I want. Is this normal? am I looking at a wrong place? I've mostly looked at X99 or super micro websites.

Is there a motherboard that fits my need?

Socket: LGA 20111-v3

- IPMI

- SPF+ (Nice to have)

- SAS or 3 PCIE slots

As I patiently wait for E5v4s, I started to look for a replacement motherboard. I was looking for LGA 20111-v3 for E5 V4, but wanted to experiment with ipmi, get spf+ (mostly for future proof), and lastly wanted to have SAS compatibility or at least have 3 pcie slots to put my SAS cards (or have native SAS Support).

but as I research more, unlike consumer mobo, there's no server mobo that comes with all the features I want. Is this normal? am I looking at a wrong place? I've mostly looked at X99 or super micro websites.

Is there a motherboard that fits my need?

Socket: LGA 20111-v3

- IPMI

- SPF+ (Nice to have)

- SAS or 3 PCIE slots

Not quite meeting your requirements BUT for me the X10SL7-F Motherboard in my Main server is perfect. IPMI (with dedicated serving LAN port for it) 2 x Gigabit LAN.

2x SATA (6Gbps)

4x SATA (3Gbps)

8x SAS2 (6Gbps) via LSI 2308

12 Sata ports for me negates any need for PCI-e slots for expander cards BUT there is at least 1 for that need in the 1x PCI-E 3.0 x8 (in x16). In addition there is 1x PCI-E 2.0 x4 (in x8) that I am using for a 2-port intel LAN card to facilitate running of pfsense.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SL7-F.cfm

Not quite meeting your requirements BUT for me the X10SL7-F Motherboard in my Main server is perfect. IPMI (with dedicated serving LAN port for it) 2 x Gigabit LAN.

2x SATA (6Gbps)

4x SATA (3Gbps)

8x SAS2 (6Gbps) via LSI 2308

12 Sata ports for me negates any need for PCI-e slots for expander cards BUT there is at least 1 for that need in the 1x PCI-E 3.0 x8 (in x16). In addition there is 1x PCI-E 2.0 x4 (in x8) that I am using for a 2-port intel LAN card to facilitate running of pfsense.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SL7-F.cfm

thanks,

this board has socket LGA 1150, my understanding is that it's not compatible with LGA 2011-v3?

You are of course correct - I missed the socket reference. My bad.

Ah, it otherwise looks really good mobo. perhaps I should be looking for a different socket... is the socket LGA 2011-v3 considered less popular?? I thought it would be a socket most used in servers.

I just picked up a used LGA 2011 Intel MB (S2600CP) to upgrade my server.  Based on my experience, these LGA 2011 boards are rare and if you do find one new then they're pricey.  Not many guys running dual Xeon processor MB's for their UnRAID media server but I guess some big server farm dumped a boatload of the E5-2670's on the market and you'll find guys in the Good Deals thread buying Intel parts on the cheap.  This is what I did anyway.

Ah, it otherwise looks really good mobo. perhaps I should be looking for a different socket... is the socket LGA 2011-v3 considered less popular?? I thought it would be a socket most used in servers.

I just picked up a used LGA 2011 Intel MB (S2600CP) to upgrade my server.  Based on my experience, these LGA 2011 boards are rare and if you do find one new then they're pricey.  Not many guys running dual Xeon processor MB's for their UnRAID media server but I guess some big server farm dumped a boatload of the E5-2670's on the market and you'll find guys in the Good Deals thread buying Intel parts on the cheap.  This is what I did anyway.

Hm, I have quad core broadwell, and it gets very sluggish when I have bunch of VMs and plex running at same time...

I didn't think having more than 4 core processor was considered farm level processor. Good thing I asked before I was stuck with CPU with no mobo:)

Hm, I have quad core broadwell, and it gets very sluggish when I have bunch of VMs and plex running at same time...

I didn't think having more than 4 core processor was considered farm level processor. Good thing I asked before I was stuck with CPU with no mobo:)

2011-3 is the new version of 2011. They share the same physical dimensions, but the CPU's are different. So 2011 CPU's can't be used in 2011-3 sockets and vice versa.

There shouldn't be any problem getting a 2011-3 board in the future for the new CPU's.

2011-3 is the new version of 2011. They share the same physical dimensions, but the CPU's are different. So 2011 CPU's can't be used in 2011-3 sockets and vice versa.

There shouldn't be any problem getting a 2011-3 board in the future for the new CPU's.

wiki says v3 was released 2014, is the adoption much slower in server mobo compared to consumer? all consumer level mobo been sold are now skylake socket...

The one I settled on is the SM X10DRi. It's a dual socket board, but surely they must have single socket ones with the desired spec. You might struggle to get the sfp+ though.

I haven't bought it yet though so can't feedback on performance. I'm still saving for it as it's so damn expensive this side of the pond.

Do you need the power of an E5?  The new wave of Xeon D boards (I just picked up 3) come with dual SFP+ and a build in LSI controller capable of connecting 16 drives to via 4 onboard SAS connectors.  Furthermore the D-1587 offers 16-cores and competes very nicely with many of the E5 chips at 65w.