[solved] mariadb docker version differences

I recently went through the hassle of having to recreate my mariadb and scanning kodi library back in.  When I recreated the mariadb I used the "linuxserver" version of the docker.  One thing I noticed eventually was that in kodi, once all episodes in a TV show were watched and marked as watched.  The "thumbnail" view in kodi of the TV shows would not show the "watched" check mark on that fully watched show.  This feature has become relied upon in this household.  After a few days of deleting and starting over several times, I decided to try the "needo" version of mariadb.  Well this did the trick for some reason.  I used MySQL workbench to run the two commands below to create the kodi user in the db:

CREATE USER 'kodi' IDENTIFIED BY 'kodi';

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'kodi';

I did exactly the same thing several times but only when I switched to the needo version of mariadb docker did it fix my problem.

I'm wondering if there is a MySQL version difference between the two that was not allowing kodi to mark a show as "fully" watched for some reason.  Does anyone have the answer?

I recently went through the hassle of having to recreate my mariadb and scanning kodi library back in.  When I recreated the mariadb I used the "linuxserver" version of the docker.  One thing I noticed eventually was that in kodi, once all episodes in a TV show were watched and marked as watched.  The "thumbnail" view in kodi of the TV shows would not show the "watched" check mark on that fully watched show.  This feature has become relied upon in this household.  After a few days of deleting and starting over several times, I decided to try the "needo" version of mariadb.  Well this did the trick for some reason.  I used MySQL workbench to run the two commands below to create the kodi user in the db:

CREATE USER 'kodi' IDENTIFIED BY 'kodi';

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'kodi';

I did exactly the same thing several times but only when I switched to the needo version of mariadb docker did it fix my problem.

I'm wondering if there is a MySQL version difference between the two that was not allowing kodi to mark a show as "fully" watched for some reason.  Does anyone have the answer?

There is a difference between the two. Needo's uses 5.x and the linuxserver is using 10.x.  Somewhere in between some query was changed. I also recently switched, within a week or two. All my watched tv shows were showing up as unwatched but no next episode was showing up. Switching to another view within kodi was showing that I had 2x-1 episodes for each show. For example a show which had two seasons and 22 episodes in each season was showing that I had 87 episodes. So that was why it was still showing up in my unwatched list but with no unwatched episodes.  I had to fix by opening the database and making a change in the tvepisodecount (I think, not home to check). I changed the two "nullif" to "ifnull". Saved and then opened kodi and did an update library and possibly a clean library. It's worked fine after that.