Network Issues? losing connection to server

I've been using Unraid successfully for several years and a few months ago upgraded from v4 to v6.  Everything went smooth and I had no issues until about a couple of months ago.  I can't remember when I added the Cache drive but that was the last thing I changed and it was sometime after that when I began to have issues.  May not be related but wanted to mention it since it seems that my issue happens when I first turn on my kodi machine in the morning.

My issue is that I lose connection to all of my shares and the GUI won't connect.  I can telnet into the machine and when I try to power down it starts running through the shut down process but never fully shuts down.  I've waited for hours before and came back and it was still in the same state.  If I do a hard reboot the GUI comes back up and I have to restart the array and then it of course starts a parity check.  There's never an issue.  I did have a drive start throwing Current pending sector and Offline uncorrectable but luckily I had a precleared drive in the box ready to go so I took the bad one out of the array.  It's still in the box just not in the array.  Just an unassigned drive.

Last time I telnetted in and ran diagnostics and then rebooted and I have attached the zip file.

I am also running kodi headless and mariadb for a synced kodi library between my RPi3 osmc and win7 Kodi machines.

Am I forgetting anything else or did I cover the basics in this ramble.  Sorry It's late for me and I've not been home to take care of this for the wife and kids so...Thanks.

tower-diagnostics-20160329-2133.zip

I had similar issues. Usually shsf (not sure I remember this correctly) used 100% CPU.

I could still telnet to the server and browse around as long as I didn't get to the array disks.

Ended up changing all disks from reiserFS to xfs (including cache)

This seems to have fixed it so far.

Roland

I replaced my Windows 7 laptop (solid, could always find shares, could always copy files without any disconnect) to Windows 10 high-end laptop which I use to transfer movie files.

I've found wifi as fast as hard wired ethernet - when it works.  I get transfer speeds up to 70 but it can drop down to 1, 3, ...  Sometimes it even sits at 0 and then disconnects.  I was about to ask about this.

Could it be the same issue?

You've got the repeating smbd issue (in your ps list) with the very high CPU using shfs.  I don't remember the details on this issue, never dealt with it personally, but I think roland has it right.

There was also an isolated period of trouble with the Cache drive (WD10EADS-00L5B1) between Mar 26 19:52:21 and 19:53:12, less than a minute.  It *looks* (not completely sure though) like a loss of communications with the drive.  Initial hard resets did not work, but a final one did.  I don't have any advice for it.

I had similar issues. Usually shsf (not sure I remember this correctly) used 100% CPU.

I could still telnet to the server and browse around as long as I didn't get to the array disks.

Ended up changing all disks from reiserFS to xfs (including cache)

This seems to have fixed it so far.

Roland

Just did a quick search and wanted to check but doesn't that require reformatting of all 10 of my drives?  If so that's going to be painful.

I'm also using a couple of expansion cards to get more SATA ports for my drives.  I'm suspicious of one because I seem to get the "loose cable" type of warnings whenever I'm in the box and after checking through everything it's usually resolved by pulling it and reinserting it back in place.  I haven't opened the box in a few months though.