unraid-autovmbackup: automate backup of virtual machines in unRAID - v0.4

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 8:37 AM, bastl said:

@luca2 You can use a modified 7zip version for example. Either you install that modified version or like I did, only use the desired zstd codec in the already installed mainline 7zip version.

https://github.com/mcmilk/7-Zip-zstd#zstandard-codec-plugin-for-mainline-7-zip

You should be also able to decompress the file using tar

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45355277/how-can-i-decompress-an-archive-file-having-tar-zst

Sorry am a total noob, but I tried installing the "zstd-x64.dll" codec on my Windows PC, but when I try to unzip using 7-zip (right click on the file -> 7-zip context menu -> extract here) it gives me error "can not open file as archive". I also tried to unpack this .zst file in Krusader where it says "unsupported archive type". Any advice?

image.png.e38be348a134a9b87a2bc16dddace531.png

EDIT: nevermind, I installed modern7z and it worked like a charm. I would recommend the owner of this plugin link it somewhere in the OP or within the info-bubble that shows up when toggling the zstandard compression option (I am using level 7 based on the benchmarking done in this thread here.

Edited by Linguafoeda
  • 2 months later...
On 7/18/2020 at 2:03 PM, baccula said:

I read through all nine pages of this, only saw one poster ask about backing up a passed-through disk. I actually don't want to back-up my pass-through, just the vdisk the OS is running on (vdisk1.img in attached image).

Because I'm passing through the disk using 'by-id', which just references the device name, I can't add or change an extension on it as far as I know. That would allow me to use the scripts 'skip extension' feature. 

Instead I get this when it runs:

2020-07-18 14:42:21 information: able to perform snapshot for disk /mnt/cache/domains/gameboy/vdisk1.img on gameboy. use_snapshots is 1. vm_state is running. vdisk_type is raw
2020-07-18 14:42:21 information: qemu agent found. enabling quiesce on snapshot.
error: unsupported configuration: source for disk 'hdd' is not a regular file; refusing to generate external snapshot name

2020-07-18 14:42:21 failure: snapshot command failed on vdisk1.snap for gameboy.
2020-07-18 14:42:21 failure: snapshot_fallback is 0. skipping backup for gameboy to prevent data loss. no cleanup will be performed for this vm.

Any idea how to get the script to skip backups where the source is not a file?

TIA!

Capture.PNG

Digging up this old post to see if @baccula or somebody else may have an answer to this?  I pass through a drive to my VM, but if I've encountered this message before it was so long ago I've forgotten.  I added another SSD to my system yesterday - just to use for Windows boot testing and not defined in the array or otherwise used for VM purposes, but now I'm getting messages with the same error:

unsupported configuration: source for disk 'hdd' is not a regular file; refusing to generate external snapshot name

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2022 at 12:49 AM, BurntOC said:

Digging up this old post to see if @baccula or somebody else may have an answer to this?  I pass through a drive to my VM, but if I've encountered this message before it was so long ago I've forgotten.  I added another SSD to my system yesterday - just to use for Windows boot testing and not defined in the array or otherwise used for VM purposes, but now I'm getting messages with the same error:

unsupported configuration: source for disk 'hdd' is not a regular file; refusing to generate external snapshot name

Hi Anyone, know a solution to this issue?

I have the same issue, not sure why unraid is trying to backup a passed through hard disk? I only want the VM backed up also. Strange this is it was backing up previously without any config changes it now does not, encounters this same error.

Thanks!