Been Away For A While - Misc Questions

ednigma

Haven't used my server for a while.  Switched it on to copy some files over to it, everything seemed fine.  Ran a parity check and after several hours, (have a total of 8 250G HDs), after finishing, the web page summary said there was 1 error.  Ran the parity check again with the same result.  I don't recall that there were any errors in the line items for each disk, just 1 error in the summary at the bottom.  Does this mean that there is a parity error in the data area? or the parity?  How do I fix this? 

Left the array running overnight and when I went to shutdown, the server hung, it never came back with array stopped.  After waiting for quite sometime, I just powered off.  Now whenever I start the array, two of the disks are are missing, and I get the message "too many wrong and/or missing disks".  These disks are connected to a Promise Ultra100 TX2, fw ver2.0.0210.2, this version should be ok, right?  This happened once before and I swapped out the TX2 (same fw version) which fixed it, now it happened again.

Lastly, I'm still on unRaid version 1.050930.  Can someone point me to the proper version I can upgrade to

Thanks.. Ed

Haven't used my server for a while.  Switched it on to copy some files over to it, everything seemed fine.  Ran a parity check and after several hours, (have a total of 8 250G HDs), after finishing, the web page summary said there was 1 error.  Ran the parity check again with the same result.  I don't recall that there were any errors in the line items for each disk, just 1 error in the summary at the bottom.  Does this mean that there is a parity error in the data area? or the parity?  How do I fix this? 

Left the array running overnight and when I went to shutdown, the server hung, it never came back with array stopped.  After waiting for quite sometime, I just powered off.  Now whenever I start the array, two of the disks are are missing, and I get the message "too many wrong and/or missing disks".  These disks are connected to a Promise Ultra100 TX2, fw ver2.0.0210.2, this version should be ok, right?  This happened once before and I swapped out the TX2 (same fw version) which fixed it, now it happened again.

Lastly, I'm still on unRaid version 1.050930.  Can someone point me to the proper version I can upgrade to

Thanks.. Ed

If 2 disks are missing,  I would suspect something common to the both of them.  If your array was running before, I would not worry about the firmware version of thee disk controller at this time.

First, if the two drives that are missing are on the same cable, replace it.  Do not use a round cable.  Use a good quality 80 pin flat cable.

If that does not help, and they share the same controller card, try re-seating it. (make sure you power down before replacing cables or re-seating cards.... Do not do it with the unit powered up.!!!)

If on different controller cards, then suspect your power supply next.  (especially if you have 8 drives on a single power supply)

The single error would have been a one-time read error.  It would be something to watch, but if you have a poor quality IDE cable, or, or a marginal controller card, or a marginal power supply, you could get the same error.

Do NOT upgrade or attempt to upgrade at this time until you  get your disks back online, unless you do not care about their contents.

You cannot simply upgrade using the normal procedure from the earlier release.  You need to purchase a new flash drive for it.

See the announcements for the 3.0 version for details.

Your current version has a major bug that will prevent you from upgrading a disk to one larger in size.  Do not attempt to upgrade disks to larger sized ones until after you are on the 3.0 (or later release)  You can add disks with your version, but any attempt to replace a small disk with a larger one will likely fail.

So... first get the two disks back on-line  with your CURRENT RELEASE.  Only after you are back up with your current version attempt an upgrade. Purchase a new flash drive (or two),  plug it into your existing motherboard, and go through the steps needed to mail Tom the serial numbers from the new drive(s), and he will mail you back the KEY file needed for the newest releases.

Joe L.

Thanks guys for the replies,

@Joe L,

The power supply is an Antec 475W.  This happened once before and both times, when trying to shutdown the array, the two drives wouldn't wake up and the array never showed a stop condition.  Upon manual reset, the array comes up stopped since the two drives are missing.  I'm using only one TX2, so I swapped it out with my other TX2 and that fixed it, now that it happened again, I was wondering if the two cards needed updated F/W since they are both at ver2.0.0210.2.  I'm also using the 80pin flat cable that came with the drives -- don't believe in rounded cables.  I''l try replugging/reseating everything.

Anyway, I noticed that the main website has changed quite a bit.  After looking around and reading some comments about registration keys and reading your post, my upgrade path is the following?  Since my unRaid version is so old and requires something called fix18, I really need to buy myself 2 new flash drives, send the serial numbers to Tom and he will send me 2 registration keys which I will use to create a new flash key and a backup(?)  If this is the case, it's good news since the original fash key seemed very fragile.  Do I use my server's other USB port to read/write the new USB keys or can I do the whole upgrade process using another computer running XP?  Any recommendations for best brand, size, cost of new flash drives?

Thanks again Joe L, your help is greatly appreciated!

I recently upgraded from 2.x and had some of the same questions.  Check out the basic instructions http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

Basically buy 2 flash drives follow the instructions on the basic page.  Once you have the software on the flash drive shutdown your array and plug in one of the new flash drives.  When you power up you will be back to all the defaults  (unless you edit the .cfg files like the network one to change the ip address.)

Open a web browser and type in the server address.  Once there click on the devices tab to get your flash key data.  Shutdown the array from the main menu and repeat with the second flash drive.  Send the info to Tom and he'll get you your pro registration keys.

I have a 256 Drive and a 512.  As for recommended sizes I don't see a reason to go above 1Gb.  I bought my 512 Kingston Data Traveler 2.0 for 11.00.  I also decided to buy from a local store just in case the drive had all zero's for the serial number.

Erik

I recently upgraded from 2.x and had some of the same questions.  Check out the basic instructions http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

Basically buy 2 flash drives follow the instructions on the basic page.  Once you have the software on the flash drive shutdown your array and plug in one of the new flash drives.  When you power up you will be back to all the defaults  (unless you edit the .cfg files like the network one to change the ip address.)

Open a web browser and type in the server address.  Once there click on the devices tab to get your flash key data.  Shutdown the array from the main menu and repeat with the second flash drive.  Send the info to Tom and he'll get you your pro registration keys.

I have a 256 Drive and a 512.  As for recommended sizes I don't see a reason to go above 1Gb.  I bought my 512 Kingston Data Traveler 2.0 for 11.00.  I also decided to buy from a local store just in case the drive had all zero's for the serial number.

Erik

Erik,

Thanks for your reply.  However, the order of instructions you give seems to differ from those in the link.  From reading the limetech page, it seems like I have to first go to the Pre-3.0 Upgrade Instructions page.  There it says to plug in the new flash to my running unRaid server (do I unplug the existing flash key -- I thought the key **must remain in** whenever the server was running, or do I use the second USB port) to read the flash serial.  I then send this info to Tom.  Then I follow the Basic Instructions.

You seem to suggest loading v3.0 Basic first.  Does this mean using the free basic version to boot in order to read the key serial, sending this to Tom, and using the keys he sends back to unlock the full Pro version?  If so, I thought that the Basic version only supported 3 drives -- I have 8 drives currently, would that cause a problem?  How does Tom know I'm a paid customer with the older ver1 flash, is there a serial number from the original key I need to send.

Sorry but this is kind of confusing

Thanks a bunch..

Ed

You seem to suggest loading v3.0 Basic first.  Does this mean using the free basic version to boot in order to read the key serial, sending this to Tom, and using the keys he sends back to unlock the full Pro version?  If so, I thought that the Basic version only supported 3 drives -- I have 8 drives currently, would that cause a problem?  How does Tom know I'm a paid customer with the older ver1 flash, is there a serial number from the original key I need to send.

Sorry but this is kind of confusing

Not a problem.  The first thing you want to do it Shutdown your current array and remove the usb key with unraid on it (consider it a backup for now).  Insert of of the 2 new keys into the server with unraid 3.0 or 3.1beta on it.  Now you can boot to unraid basic.  When it boot to the basic ver you will NOT enable the array instead go to the devices page for the the flash info.  After you have the info shutdown the array and repeat with second key. 

Here is what I did I actually then just waited for Tom to send me a key(took about a day).  If you need to have your server up in the meantime go back and boot with the original usb key.  Once you get the key from Tom you can then add the reg file and boot to the pro version and reset up the array.

As for Tom knowing your a paid customer I sent him an email with my full name, I'm sure he has records.  I guess you could also include a purchase date if you know it.

Erik

Archived