why does //tower work, but not \\tower on Windows 10?

I think it would be great if this was a sticky with whatever answer works.  I'm very frustrated.  I think, tomorrow when I have more time, I will call up my IT guy and have him log into my system to figure this out once and for all.

I can't transfer a frickin' file from Windows 10 to unRaid without it timing out, disconnecting or having the transfer speed drop to a snail's pace.  How can they not know about this problem in Windows???

Does anyone have a definitive solution or a good workaround that's not complicated?

Depends on your definitions of "good workaround" and "not complicated".  :)

I use a FTP client to transfer data to my server and keep all SMB shares exported as read-only. For me, this is the definitive solution; No risk of accidentally deleting files through the Explorer and no disk trashing since I've set the FTP client to queue transfers and only transfer one file at a time.

Also, I don't understand the title of your post with reference to the OP since //tower and \\tower refer to completely different things

(navigating to //tower in file explorer is going to open up the unRaid GUI.  navigating to \\tower in file explorer is going to show you the shares)

Because I feel like it's the start of my problems.  I've gone all over the web and found Windows 10 has messed up share connections.  I thought by saying I can't get to my share via \\tower it might give me the answer to the bigger picture - why does windows 10 disconnect me during a large file transfer or slow it to a crawl?  I never had this issue in Windows 7 and will connect my old laptop for my file transfers until this is fixed in Windows 10.  At least the responder has an answer / workaround to get my files onto my unraid box.

The shiny new Razer Stealth with Windows 10 isn't up to doing one task I wanted it to do.  Fortunately, a six year old Dell Adamo can.

Host name is tower and has always been.  Windows 7 - it just works.  I really like Windows 10 except for this.  Networking is broken in windows 10.

Hmmmm.  We can't reach this page! - is what I get with both \\tower and \\192.168.1.6

I've been searching Windows 10 forums.  I've got a few things to try.  If anythings works, I will post.

Really weird.  http:\\tower brings up web gui and not the shares, the same thing that http://tower and //tower brings up.

i think that is expected behaviour when you precede the name with http:

Have you tried \\ip_address_of_server ?    If that works and \\tower does not then you have a networking problem at the netbios name resolution level.  You may see references to trying to get all your machines to agree on what is the "Local Master" for doing netbios name resolution.  This is done dynamically and you have little control over it on a home network, and you can get different machines trying to simultaneously be the Local Master which leads to name lookup failures..    If your router supports file sharing from a disk plugged into it, then one 'trick' that often seems to work is to make sure that you have the Workgroup setting set to your local workgroup name on the disk sharing settings (even if you have no disk plugged into the router).  This seems to make the router become the Local Master in a reliable way.  Since I have done that on my Netgear router all my name resolution problems appear to have disappeared.