c226 chipset with a core i5 4570t and ecc RAM

LooZypher

Hi Everyone.

I guess the title of the thread is somewhat self explanatory.

I want to upgrade my unRaid box, but as a poor student the money are scarce. So I wanted to do the upgrade in increments.

I have an core i5 4570t and I have a couple of ecc ram sticks. The question is now would it work if I slap the ram sticks in the motherboard together with my 4570t?

Obviously the ecc fuctionality wouldn't work, but would they function as ordinary ram?

Thank you in advance

L.

From HP regarding workstations with same chipset:

ECC

Error Correcting Code (ECC) memory is supported on workstation Intel® Xeon® SKUs, thereby improving data integrity. If ECC memory is used in conjunction with a non-ECC processor sku, ECC protection is not available and the DIMMs will appear to the system as Non-ECC memory. Desktop PCs do not typically support ECC.

Thank you for the reply.

I think I'll go ahead and buy it, I will by some regular RAM if it should have trouble booting.

L.

I suspect it will boot just fine;  but if it doesn't, I'd suggest you consider buying an i3 with ECC support rather than buying non-ECC memory.  Since you've got a server-quality board with the C226 chipset, it's a shame to not take advantage of the error correcting memory.    And a high-end i3 will actually outperform your i5.    [e.g. an i3-4330 scores 5063 on PassMark compared to 4791 for your i5]

• 2 weeks later...