Work in Progress - Dual E5 2670

Evening,

Overall what I am looking to build is one server to replace them all and maybe repurpose one or two systems.

- Aged Macbook Pro

-- Plan to virtualize, looking through OS X VM thread on compatable video card

- Ark Dedicated Server/Plex Server

-- Plan to virtualize Ark Server

-- Plan to run Plex in docker

-- Repurpose to HTPC

- Freenas Box (3TB Mirrored)

-- Restructure shares and copy information off box/move hard drives to new system

-- Plan to sell hardware

- Gaming PC

-- Plan to virtualize

-- Plan to repurpose to kids computer

Future Hardware/Software:

- Unraid

-- Of course

On order packaged deal from Natex, S2600CP w/ dual E5-2670

- 4x WD Red 3TB (With 2x additional from Freenas)

Planning

- Case

-- Fractal Design R5 (Love the case)

- Cache Drive

-- May reuse 2x 64GB drive or buy new

- CPU Cooler

-- 2x Noctua i4

- KVM switcher

-- Either hardware or software (Already own Synergy and enjoy it but causes issues with gaming)

- Power supply

-- Planning on EVGA Supernova G2 800-1000W

- UPS

-- Found a few, however most don't ship APO

- VM Drive

-- Welcome to suggestions.

***Updates***

14 April 16 - Drilled a few holes and mounted motherboard into Fractal Design XL R2.

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg.8a18d4593adf9c6d57aad922238c8ab9.jpg

One box to rule them all . . . (and in the shadows bind them)

Sounds like a plan, but first make sure the case you like will fit the Natex dual CPU Intel MB.  It is larger and won't fit in most consumer cases.  Check out the P4000 Intel cases designed for this MB from Kelley o malley on eBay, and for sure get the io shield that you will certainly need.

The CPU is a beast and will draw a bit more power than you expect but with only one CPU in mine and 64gb RAM, I can idle as low as 50w. Once drives are installed, 70w is a more normal idle. A dual CPU loaded system with pass through graphics will pull a min of 2x (140+watts).  What would be really cool is if we could somehow turn CPU 2 on and off with a switch. Most of the time a single CPU is way more than enough.

The benefit of this system is you get loads of cores for the money. If you are a web developer, it's ideal, but if you are a gamer you might be left underwhelmed when you find your game isn't multi threaded enough to take advantage of all those cores. There have been some sad people complaining their favorite game is no faster. Of course YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Server reset in 10 min / ?????????10?

Apologies for the slow updates, finally got the board in (shipped to japan, apo system is so slow sometime), rest of the parts are slowly on their way (PSU, CPU coolers, fans, case etc…).  It is currently setup on the desk as a temp solution so I can run some stress test, want to avoid prime 95 till I get cpu coolers.

Sounds like a plan, but first make sure the case you like will fit the Natex dual CPU Intel MB.  It is larger and won't fit in most consumer cases.  Check out the P4000 Intel cases designed for this MB from Kelley o malley on eBay, and for sure get the io shield that you will certainly need.

Initially I was set on the R5 however once the package arrived I realized it was not going to fit.  Which isn't so bad because since i never purchased a second one. I went back to the post and re read it, the one where a guy said he got an EEB sized board in there.  On my third re-read I realized it was a CEB board.  Ohh well, so now I am back to case shopping, looking at the Design XL R2, just need to add a mount or two to make it fit. 

The benefit of this system is you get loads of cores for the money. If you are a web developer, it's ideal, but if you are a gamer you might be left underwhelmed when you find your game isn't multi threaded enough to take advantage of all those cores. There have been some sad people complaining their favorite game is no faster. Of course YMMV.

So I mess around with a lot of things other than gaming, some not requiring a lot of resources (random vms for things around the house), others take a lot (encoding video collections/aiding friends/co workers).  On the gaming aspect I know more isn’t always better and sometimes its worse, but maybe one day they will wake up and start developing multi threaded games.  In the end if I take to much of a hit I will just go back to my gaming computer and make this the new nas/workhorse of the house.

Overall I would say this is sort of a test rig right now, I have a co worker who is willing to loan me his hdmi/usb over cat 5 adapters.  This way I can try and virtualize my htpc/kids pc, which are located in another part of the house.  Trying to go for a one PC for the whole house when I retire and head back to the US.

Noctua i4 came in today.  Took some time to clean everything up and mounted the coolers.

Pictures removed, will post again when resized.  See gallery at

Since you're not using an Intel case, have you figured out a good way to monitor your CPU temps and control your fan speeds?  I'm using the IPMITool plugin but the temps aren't reported in degrees.  I think my case is getting good air flow with just the copper heatsinks at the moment but I'm considering adding the Noctua's as well.  What did you use to remove the old paste? 

Noctua i4 came in today.  Took some time to clean everything up and mounted the coolers.

Which model did you buy?, 92mm or 120mm fans?

Good question!  I was wondering the same and just assumed by the pics it was the 92mm version BICBW.

First off sorry for the late reply the last few nights have been hectic.  The issue I am having now is getting OS X working in a VM. 

Since you're not using an Intel case, have you figured out a good way to monitor your CPU temps and control your fan speeds?  I'm using the IPMITool plugin but the temps aren't reported in degrees.  I think my case is getting good air flow with just the copper heatsinks at the moment but I'm considering adding the Noctua's as well.  What did you use to remove the old paste?

So for the temps I measure my heat with an infrared thermometer, checking cpu, gpu, ram, places of air flow etc…  This is less than ideal, so looking at a more permanent solution, however, air exhausting the case is only 33c.  IPMI plugin is something I am messing with, but its not reporting all temperatures. 

To clean the old thermal paste off I used alcohol and cotton swabs.

Which model did you buy?, 92mm or 120mm fans?

They are 92mm, I purchased them from amazon, link below.  Again apologies for the late response Ill try to be more timely next time.

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Cooler-LGA2011-Platforms-NH-U9DXi4/dp/B00E1JGFA0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

I'm also in the same boat -- I didn't use the Intel Case.

The copper heatsinks they provided did not seem adequate for me. I turned on memtest and immediately the temperature was 100C -- that was with the standard case fans (front intake and back exhaust).

I have since replaced the headsinks with the Noctuas + added three exhaust to the top and two intake to the bottom of the case. The GPU also had a fan that got added to the mix and I ended up removing a drive cage that I am not using now (may have to add eventually). I was concerned this would be loud but it isn't. I can't hear the build unless I really listen for it.

Still working on a way to keep tabs on temperature. I have the Dynamix temperature plugin but haven't had time to set up sensors properly. That said I ran memtest for a few minutes and the temp never broke 40C -- it basically oscillated between 38C and 40C. The air coming out of the top of the case actually feels cool when I put my hand over it so I figure all is good.

No idea how to set-up fan control -- I'm hoping to get sensors set up for Dynamix today but I'm brand new to this so not even sure if that is the proper plugin to use.

Quick Update:

Sat down and played Ark Survival Evolved for 1 1/2 hours, this box also host the Ark server (10 people playing), the gaming VM, and a standard VM.  Currently the ambient temperature in my room is 27c, so I think the coolers work well.

DxEPcmJ.png?1

The copper heatsinks they provided did not seem adequate for me. I turned on memtest and immediately the temperature was 100C -- that was with the standard case fans (front intake and back exhaust).

I have since replaced the headsinks with the Noctuas + added three exhaust to the top and two intake to the bottom of the case. The GPU also had a fan that got added to the mix and I ended up removing a drive cage that I am not using now (may have to add eventually). I was concerned this would be loud but it isn't. I can't hear the build unless I really listen for it.

Still working on a way to keep tabs on temperature. I have the Dynamix temperature plugin but haven't had time to set up sensors properly. That said I ran memtest for a few minutes and the temp never broke 40C -- it basically oscillated between 38C and 40C. The air coming out of the top of the case actually feels cool when I put my hand over it so I figure all is good.

No idea how to set-up fan control -- I'm hoping to get sensors set up for Dynamix today but I'm brand new to this so not even sure if that is the proper plugin to use.

So what were you using to measure the temps during memtest?  As I said, I can't get any details on "actual" temps with my setup.  I did use a Therma-Pen on my heatsinks and they were around 95 degrees F but no way to get actual CPU temps.

When I run the sensors command all I see is:

Tower login: root
Linux 4.1.18-unRAID.
root@Tower:~# sensors
i350bb-pci-0700
Adapter: PCI adapter
loc1:         +55.0°C  (high = +120.0°C, crit = +110.0°C)

root@Tower:~#

Quick Update:

Sat down and played Ark Survival Evolved for 1 1/2 hours, this box also host the Ark server (10 people playing), the gaming VM, and a standard VM.  Currently the ambient temperature in my room is 27c, so I think the coolers work well.

Your "sensors" output is what I would expect to see on my end as well.  Did you upgrade the bios?

So what were you using to measure the temps during memtest?  As I said, I can't get any details on "actual" temps with my setup.  I did use a Therma-Pen on my heatsinks and they were around 95 degrees F but no way to get actual CPU temps.

When I run the sensors command all I see is:

Linux 4.1.18-unRAID.
i350bb-pci-0700

Memtest itself displays CPU temp. The 100C made me nervous so I shut the whole thing down and ordered the extra cooling. Ran Memtest again and this time it said 38-40C so i let it run until I got bored which wasn't too long and it never got above 40C.

I am getting two temps now but without a proper sensor.config I have no idea what they correspond to -- one is 37C the other is 42C. Going to try to figure out how to set up sensors now.

After scanning for sensors I was only about to get two successes

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `coretemp':
  * Chip `Intel digital thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

Driver `to-be-written':
  * ISA bus, address 0xca2
    Chip `IPMI BMC KCS' (confidence: 

Note: there is no driver for IPMI BMC KCS yet.
Check http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices for updates.

So looks like coretemp is it. I've loaded the driver and I am getting temperatures for all the cores and the Mb. So the CPU is at 37C and the motherboard at 42C

After scanning for sensors I was only about to get two successes

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `coretemp':
  * Chip `Intel digital thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

Driver `to-be-written':
  * ISA bus, address 0xca2
    Chip `IPMI BMC KCS' (confidence: 

Note: there is no driver for IPMI BMC KCS yet.
Check http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices for updates.

So looks like coretemp is it. I've loaded the driver and I am getting temperatures for all the cores and the Mb. So the CPU is at 37C and the motherboard at 42C

Which driver did you load?  I'm not that familiar with the process so as many details as you can share would be appreciated!  As I noted previously, I don't have coretemp configured (correctly).  Thanks!

Ok. I will do my best but I'm also new to this.

Ok so basically I got the Dynamix System Temp plugin from here https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.0

The topic seems to be a discussion of all the Dynamix plugins which I guess got confusing because they splittered off a System Temp only one here  https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31172.0

Once you install the plugin you have a System Temp option in Settings-- clicking on it takes you to a page.

Detect --> Save --> Loud Drivers

Then you just use the pull-down menus to assign the temps to the proper two options.

Can't remember if it is apply or done so press both.

You'll have the temperature in the bottom of your GUI.

That is it.

Now I had hoped there were more sensors which is why I did the scan last night but since nothing came up you can skip all of that (if you want to know for a different motherboard that might have more sensors I can post that later) The basic idea is that you run the scan and then manually create a config file for Dynamix but since the scan only detected coretemp which was already being detected I didn't bother to make a config file.

Ok so basically I got the Dynamix System Temp plugin from here https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.0

The topic seems to be a discussion of all the Dynamix plugins which I guess got confusing because they splittered off a System Temp only one here  https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31172.0

Once you install the plugin you have a System Temp option in Settings-- clicking on it takes you to a page.

Then you just use the pull-down menus to assign the temps to the proper two options.

That is it.

Now I had hoped there were more sensors which is why I did the scan last night but since nothing came up you can skip all of that (if you want to know for a different motherboard that might have more sensors I can post that later) The basic idea is that you run the scan and then manually create a config file for Dynamix but since the scan only detected coretemp which was already being detected I didn't bother to make a config file.

Ok, interesting.  I installed the Dynamix System Temp plugin directly from UnRAID 6 apps page.  I'll have to see what differences there are between that version and what you linked to above.  Thanks.

They are 92mm, I purchased them from amazon, link below.  Again apologies for the late response Ill try to be more timely next time.

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Cooler-LGA2011-Platforms-NH-U9DXi4/dp/B00E1JGFA0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Any reason why you used the u9DXi4 over the u12DXi4? I was deciding between the two and went with the latter because my board requires narrow. I know that u9DXi4 has a narrow bracket but no guarantee it will fit with two fans.

Any reason why you used the u9DXi4 over the u12DXi4? I was deciding between the two and went with the latter because my board requires narrow. I know that u9DXi4 has a narrow bracket but no guarantee it will fit with two fans.

The two coolers are almost the same. I have both. The 92 mm fan version is easier to fit both ways as the pipes are not that wide and the heatsink is also not as wide. They have the same mounting clips for the fans, so if your memory is high, you can just move the fan up as much as needed.

That is it.

Ok, seems your second link is the same as what I already installed (I originally went to the first link and per your note it was confusing!). When I click detect, nothing really happens. It appears to search for a second for drivers but nothing comes up.  Seems I need a coretemp driver to see the CPU temp though? Is lm-sensors.org down?! I tried to see if the S2600CP board was listed but couldn't get to the site.

Edit: we could move this discussion if OP has no interest:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47933.0

lm-sensors.org has been down for a while.

I was able to find the last version with some help from the nice people of this forum but for the S2600CP2 you don't really need it. I posted the results above -- coretemp is the only sensor. There is a second sensor but apparently no driver for it.

lm-sensors.org has been down for a while.

I was able to find the last version with some help from the nice people of this forum but for the S2600CP2 you don't really need it. I posted the results above -- coretemp is the only sensor. There is a second sensor but apparently no driver for it.

Well something is different on my config as I can't get any coretemp output. Did you install this driver through the plugin?

Linux 4.1.18-unRAID.
i350bb-pci-0700

Yes. The plugin I linked to above came with the driver. I just pressed Detect -> Save -> Load Drivers and the coretemp was loaded.

The only reason I bothered with lm-sensors was because I figured there might be additional sensors and there is one but at least according to lm-sensors there is no driver for it.

Yes. The plugin I linked to above came with the driver. I just pressed Detect -> Save -> Load Drivers and the coretemp was loaded.

The only reason I bothered with lm-sensors was because I figured there might be additional sensors and there is one but at least according to lm-sensors there is no driver for it.

And that's my issue. It doesn't detect anything.