Work in Progress - Dual E5 2670

Oh wait. Senors-detect requires perl -- it is possible that the detection built into the plugin also requires it. Try installing perl and press detect again.

I hadn't tried sensors-detect yet because the site was down.  I didn't realize there was a version already installed in /usr/sbin so I'll give that a try next time I boot my server.  Issue with Perl was known but thanks for the reminder.

I'm assuming I need a driver to be installed for the sensors command to display coretemp? Do you know how to manually load this driver since I can't get anything to show up or are you saying I need to load Perl once to get the Dynamix System Temp plugin to load the coretemp driver?

I just can't get any detection from the sensors on my board.  The BMC appears to be working correctly but since the values are all relative, I'm not sure what temp the CPU's are actually running?  Do you know the correlation between the P1 Therm Margin and the P1 Therm Ctrl %?  Here's an example of my BMC although since the FW upgrade, I note the values are closer to -37 and -50  now (instead of -29 and -13).

S2600CP.JPG?raw=1

I suspected that you would need perl for Dynamix System Temp plugin to detect your sensors and so I decided to test it.

I unloaded my drivers and then tried to detect with perl not installed and Dynamix System Temp plugin was unable to find anything.

I installed perl and Dynamix System Temp plugin immediately detected coretemp.

I did this twice so seems like perl is necessary -- but only for the detection part. After you press save and Load Drivers you go back and remove perl.

I suspected that you would need perl for Dynamix System Temp plugin to detect your sensors and so I decided to test it.

I unloaded my drivers and then tried to detect with perl not installed and Dynamix System Temp plugin was unable to find anything.

I did this twice so seems like perl is necessary -- but only for the detection part. After you press save and Load Drivers you go back and remove perl.

Thanks...I just read through the entire Dynamix System Temp plugin thread and came to the same conclusion.  I guess install Nerdpack plugin is the easiest way to get Perl?  Also, do you have the latest version of sensors-detect (I saw your post in the System Temp thread)?  I tried the link it pointed to but it wasn't working for me:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150513093034/http://dl.lm-sensors.org/lm-sensors/files/sensors-detect

Thanks again for all of your help!

EDIT:  If I piece together now what you said before, sensors-detect didn't find anything of value when you ran it so perhaps I don't even need to bother?!  Also, the link above started working again so I have this version of sensors-detect now.

So I loaded Perl and still couldn't get System Temp plugin to detect coretemp.  I went ahead and ran sensors-detect is the output is here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47933.msg466621#msg466621

Not sure what I'm doing wrong?!

EDIT:  I just retried the Detect button and it worked!  :o  Now I have the following options to choose from:

Sensors.JPG?raw=1

I think you've jumped ahead but for anyone else who ends up here to use sensors-detech you save the text file and then put it on the unraid server -- go to with with a shell and run chmod -x filename and that makes it executable.

Now that the driver installed you assign i350 to the motherboard temp and your choice of Core to the Processor temp.

The plugin only displays one temp for CPU at the bottom so I went with Physical id 0 which means I am not displaying them temp for the second CPU

Possibly there is a way to make it so the plugin displays both CPUs. Once I got one temp I put figuring out of that was possible on the back-burner. If you find a way let me know but for now I only have one CPU in the bottom display.

Edit: someone actually just asked about a plugin to show all tenos in the Dynamix System Temp topic so hopefully that will give us an answer.

I think you've jumped ahead but for anyone else who ends up here to use sensors-detech you save the text file and then put it on the unraid server -- go to with with a shell and run chmod -x filename and that makes it executable.

Now that the driver installed you assign i350 to the motherboard temp and your choice of Core to the Processor temp.

The plugin only displays one temp for CPU at the bottom so I went with Physical id 0 which means I am not displaying them temp for the second CPU

Possibly there is a way to make it so the plugin displays both CPUs. Once I got one temp I put figuring out of that was possible on the back-burner. If you find a way let me know but for now I only have one CPU in the bottom display.

Edit: someone actually just asked about a plugin to show all tenos in the Dynamix System Temp topic so hopefully that will give us an answer.

So where is the file stored? Do you have to overwrite the copy that comes with UnRAID? I didn't use the newer version.

I did exactly as you described temps. I also couldn't figure out how to get both CPU's to display so I went with the higher temp one. I'm thinking about getting the Noctua's now. My temps are anywhere from 67-75C on the higher temp CPU. Board is pretty steady in low to mid 50's.

The file can be stored anywhere that you have access to and no you don't have to overwrite the other file.

I used WinSCP to transfer the text file so it just ended up in the root home directory then when I used SSH to login I didn't end up at home so I had to move to the home directory to find it.

I have a desktop tower type case so I went with the Noctua fans. With the small passive heatsink my temps were at 100C with just a few second of running memtest. I added three exhaust fans to the top of the case and two intake fans at the bottom + the Noctua and now no matter how much I push it the temp doesn't get above 42C and it is typically under 40C with normal use. It sucked having to wait over a week for the fans since even though Newegg.ca had them listed they actually shipped from LA but I am happy with the end result.

I have a desktop tower type case so I went with the Noctua fans. With the small passive heatsink my temps were at 100C with just a few second of running memtest. I added three exhaust fans to the top of the case and two intake fans at the bottom + the Noctua and now no matter how much I push it the temp doesn't get above 42C and it is typically under 40C with normal use. It sucked having to wait over a week for the fans since even though Newegg.ca had them listed they actually shipped from LA but I am happy with the end result.

I went ahead and ordered two of the Noctua U9dx i4's. In the end, seemed foolish not to add the additional cooling considering how inexpensive I put this server together.  Thanks again for all of your help and feedback.

I went ahead and ordered two of the Noctua U9dx i4's. In the end, seemed foolish not to add the additional cooling considering how inexpensive I put this server together.  Thanks again for all of your help and feedback.

I recently got the U12DXi4 and it's a great heatsink. I ran memtest with all eight cores it never broke 41C

I recently got the U12DXi4 and it's a great heatsink. I ran memtest with all eight cores it never broke 41C

I only got the U9's because I hadn't seen any reports of someone successfully using the U12's. Good to know they work as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did anyone get PWM fan control working on this board? I got the point of seeing all the core temps, thats it.

I can see (RPMs) the front fans and the cpu fans in my case, but the rear fans do not show up. All my fans are 4-pin. Unfortunately, I cannot control their speed, though in all honesty, I did not delve too deeply yet...