Parity check speed

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New CPU arrived yesterday and I proceeded to install it.  I got this on bootup:

2016-04-07%2018.01.23.jpg

Didn't have much time to troubleshoot and was not getting anywhere so I put the old chip back but got virtually the same thing. 

2016-04-07%2022.48.01.jpg

Looks like I've got a project this weekend.

The BIOS update must have done it.  No problems with the new CPU after that. 

It does look like this resolved the CPU issue.  I'm currently running a parity check and with all 24 disks it's running at 43.5MB/sec.  Using the htop command I can see that the CPU generally stays around 15-30% with occasional spikes to 45%.  I'm about 12.75 hours in an it's a hair away from 2tb where 10 disks will fall off and the speed with increase. 

At the 2tb mark it went to approx 55MB/sec

Total time as definitely an improvement but based on the previous comments I was actually expecting better.

2016-04-11_22-15-47.png

Still debating the MB upgrade but not really sure if it will make a big difference.

I suspect that the 14 remaining disks aren't optimally connected to maximize the speed at that point.  Once you've dropped to 14 disks, you have the same # of disks I have in my oldest media server (which uses the same board) ... so I'd expect the same (or better) performance.    You need to be sure no more than 10 of the drives are on the DMI channel at that point.

If you describe precisely how all of the drives are connected, we can suggest how you could better optimize them.

I suspect that the 14 remaining disks aren't optimally connected to maximize the speed at that point.  Once you've dropped to 14 disks, you have the same # of disks I have in my oldest media server (which uses the same board) ... so I'd expect the same (or better) performance.    You need to be sure no more than 10 of the drives are on the DMI channel at that point.

If you describe precisely how all of the drives are connected, we can suggest how you could better optimize them.

Can this be determined from the logs or do I need to crack open the case and trace the cables?

I'm guessing ideal situation is something like 2 of the 4tb drives on the DMI channel and the rest evenly split between the two supermicro cards?

I just reconfigured the drives

Old configuration:

2 2 4 2 - AOC-SASLP-MV8 #1

2 2 4 2 - AOC-SASLP-MV8 #1

4 4 4 4 - AOC-SASLP-MV8 #2

4 4 4 4 - AOC-SASLP-MV8 #2

4 4 4 4 - MB / sil3132

2 2 2 2 - MB

New Configuration:

2 4 4 4 - AOC-SASLP-MV8 #1

4 4 4 2 - AOC-SASLP-MV8 #2

2 2 4 4 - MB / sil3132 (I'm not sure if the 4's go into the MB or card)

2 2 2 2 - MB

I was also expecting better, what is your unRAID version and disk tunnable settings?

Forgot to add that like I mentioned before the post 2TB speed can only improve significantly if most 2TB disks are on the DMI.

Before I saw this I had already started tweaking the tunables so I don't know what they were when the parity ran.  Right now they are back to the defaults of 1800, 1280 and 384.

After moving disks around I figured it's probably best to give this a shot.

My unRAID version is currently 6.1.9.

Before I saw this I had already started tweaking the tunables so I don't know what they were when the parity ran.  Right now they are back to the defaults of 1800, 1280 and 384.

After moving disks around I figured it's probably best to give this a shot.

My unRAID version is currently 6.1.9.

V6.2-beta has 2 more tunnables that can make a significant difference,  but try the new disk organization first.

New Configuration:

2 2 2 2 - MB

I'm interested in Johnnie's thoughts on this config; but my thoughts are ...

(a)  MV8 #1 connections are fine, as long as this is the card that's plugged in to the x16 slot (and thus bypasses the DMI channel)

(b)  I'd absolutely NOT plug any of the 4's into the sil3132 card => you need to confirm that's not the case

©  I'd plug 4's into all of the motherboard slots

On the MB has the potential to be a little better.

Went back and carefully traced the sata cables.  The two remaining 4's are plugged into the MB and not the Sil card.

Rerunning parity to test.

That's a very nice speed bump considering the money spent, pre 2TB speed is the maximum you can get with your current board, post 2TB can possibly go a little higher with 6.2-beta and its adicional tunnables, but it can't go higher than ~100MB/s, so you're pretty close to optimal already.

That's a very nice speed bump considering the money spent, pre 2TB speed is the maximum you can get with your current board, post 2TB can possibly go a little higher with 6.2-beta and its adicional tunnables, but it can't go higher than ~100MB/s, so you're pretty close to optimal already.

Bang for the buck was excellent! 

$8

Thank you guys so much for all the help.  Still gonna keep my eye out for that MB/CPU/RAM combo you mentioned earlier.

Before:

2016-04-02_12-53-34.png

After:

2016-04-13_16-47-08.png