Mobo and CPU Recommendation

Nice build/s  How do you like that case, i'm thinking of getting a new one to replace my norco.

Thank you for all the help, I will be ordering one hopefully in a month or two.

I really like it.  The trayless design is really great because I hate having to screw drives into trays.  I also just think it looks nice.  It was expensive but I feel like it was worth it.

Report back when you're build is done!

Well believe it or not my buddy just bought me a new mobo, D1537. http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-components-motherboards-embedded-processor-x10sdv-7tp4f-10025890

Can't believe he bought it for me.  He is a real nice guy and has been using Plex Media for a few years, so he thought he would help out.

Now just need to order ram and I think thats it.  My cables I have should still work

Well believe it or not my buddy just bought me a new mobo, D1537. http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-components-motherboards-embedded-processor-x10sdv-7tp4f-10025890

Can't believe he bought it for me.  He is a real nice guy and has been using Plex Media for a few years, so he thought he would help out.

Now just need to order ram and I think thats it.  My cables I have should still work

That is sick!  You are one lucky man.  I just got my boards in last night btw!

http://imgur.com/a/cvZf8

OK, I see it now.  Thats what I thought.  So are you going to use any type of fan on top of the CPU or just hoping the case fans do the trick?  I don't think I will need one but then it couldn't hurt.  If I do I guess it should blow up to suck the heat off the cpu

These boards will be going in the 2U iStarUSA cases also shown in that photo album.  I have 2 SuperMicro PWM fans that will be blowing right at the HSF that should sufficiently cool it.

How you would orient your cooling really depends on your case and what other components you'll have in the system.

We have the Intel S2600CP2J motherboard with 2 x E5-2670 CPU's and 128GB Ram for $475.

230w between them.  Thanks for the I found on the deal but there us a reason why there are so many of those chips are available.  All the data centers ditched them for more power efficient offerings.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

We have the Intel S2600CP2J motherboard with 2 x E5-2670 CPU's and 128GB Ram for $475.

230w between them.  Thanks for the I found on the deal but there us a reason why there are so many of those chips are available.  All the data centers ditched them for more power efficient offerings.

Understood, but wouldn't you agree that there's more than a little difference between a datacenter populated with a 1000+ of them (needing to power and cool) vs a home enthusiast who has a couple?

Understood, but wouldn't you agree that there's more than a little difference between a datacenter populated with a 1000+ of them (needing to power and cool) vs a home enthusiast who has a couple?

Of course.  However I think one of the aspects with regard to choosing a CPU that is often overlooked is noise.  These higher TDP CPU's generate a TON of heat and that means you need some very high performance cooling which often means loud servers.  Loud servers at home are not feasible for those who don't have basements/closests to tuck their equipment away in.