Security of UnRAID in general vs. security of VM/Docker

I've been trying to find information on the security of UnRAID, but basically everything I can find that I can find that might answer my question is pre-6.0 and thus pre-VM.

It seems that the general consensus is that UnRAID itself is not second and the base OS (e.g. the web GUI or user shares) should never, ever, ever directly be exposed to the Internet in any form. However, the security of VMs running on UnRAID is unclear to me.

Because VMs live in their own isolated bubbles, are they safe® to expose to the Internet? For example, if I create an Ubuntu VM and configure it in the exact same way my Ubuntu droplet on Digital Ocean is configured, would they be roughly equally secure when exposed to the Internet?

And what about Dockers? I'm fairly experienced with VMs, but I still don't really "get" Dockers, or at least I'm still in the process of learning. Are they fairly isolated as well? Would an Apache server in a Docker on UnRAID be about as secure as an Apache server on an Ubuntu VM?

• 10 months later...