General question

eddesposito

I wanna build a multi-core machine and visualize it. Then, make the VMs accessible remotely by a cheap set-top style device in a sort of terminal setup. The user OS doesn't matter since it is just going to need basic internet functionality. Reason I am interested in unRAID is the ability to backup and snapshot the OS to prevent data loss and virus infections. Is this something unRAID can do, and what type of OS/Hardware is recommended?

Do you mean virtualize? If so, there are sections here dedicated to the various technologies that will allow you to do this. I'm currently running on ESXi, with an unRAID client. Hardware spec will vary depending on what you want to achieve. My ~2 year old setup consists of the following:

i7-3770S

8GB RAM

5 x 4TB Seagate ST4000VN000

2 x SSD for ESXi datastore, and cache

I run about 4 VM's - one of which is unRAID. Resources are adequate, however I would probably go for a stronger processor, and double the memory if I were to rebuild. Other than that, it serves it's purpose for a small for factor lower tier build. I do access it remotely in the form of terminal services.

If you'd like your clients to have something akin to PC level graphics performance, consider a setup that utilises GPS in the unRaid server itself. You'll need to consider a MB with sufficient PCIe slots (one for each terminal). This is how I have my multi-room HTPC infrastructure set up. With this approach, you don't even need a STB or client device, a screen, keyboard and mouse will suffice.

If your clients are within easy reach of your server, you can run HDMI and USB cables directly. If the reach is longer than say 30', you'll need to look at HDMI over Ethernet solutions.

On the other hand, if you're happy with VNC type display on the client side, simply set up as many VMs as your CPU and memory allows and unRaid will allow remote access to theVM desktop. You can go with Windows or really any flavour of Linux (I like ArchLinux as you can configure it just as you need it). In this case, any light client device with VNC support will do the trick.

You're trading client display quality and speed fand the need for client devices or server resource requirements and the need for discrete GPUs