unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-beta21 Available

Hi everyone I just upgraded from 6.19 to 6.20 and I've got an issue with XML file..

In 6.19 I use to edit the QEMU part of the XML file by adding ",romfile=/boot/vbios.rom" to load a custom rom. (for nvidia passtrough)

but now the syntax is so different I don't know where to load the romfile.

I have found this line "<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes' xvga='yes'> but everytime I added romfile = '' after or before xvga it gets deleted when I apply XML changes.

I hope someone find a fix.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone I just upgraded from 6.19 to 6.20 and I've got an issue with XML file..

In 6.19 I use to edit the QEMU part of the XML file by adding ",romfile=/boot/vbios.rom" to load a custom rom. (for nvidia passtrough)

but now the syntax is so different I don't know where to load the romfile.

I have found this line "<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes' xvga='yes'> but everytime I added romfile = '' after or before xvga it gets deleted when I apply XML changes.

I hope someone find a fix.

<rom bar='on' file='/etc/fake/boot.bin'/>

Add between <hostdev> and </hostdev> somewhere.  Obviously change the path to the file to your rom file.

What did you have to do to each Docker after the upgrade ?

Are you using Plugin's ?  Dockers ?  VM's ?

I just upgraded from 6.1.9 to 6.2 beta 21 with no trouble at all

I use most of the dynamix plugins, 2 VM and 12 Dockers. Biggest pain in the *** was having to update each docker due to the docker API update

I use most of the dynamix plugins, 2 VM and 12 Dockers. Biggest pain in the *** was having to update each docker due to the docker API update

Nothing other than updating them

Lol, I think he was expecting more given the "biggest pain in the ass" comment.

It was a pain having to update each docker one by one,  12 in total. Would be nice if there was a "Update All" button :)

LOL, true ... I've read through the first beta's release notes, and it didn't sound like there was anything major to do.  His response did throw me off a bit :)

Actually an "update all" button for docker would be a welcome addition imho.

Couldn't agree more.  Same for plug-ins.  For those of us who are running 20+ Dockers/plug-ins it would make a big difference.

Yeah, I'll admit this is a bit annoying to have to do one at a time.  I don't know if I would put it at the top of the priority list, but yeah...

switched back to bare metal, seem to be working great now.

Also just wanted to say that the VM manger is pretty darn good, i don't miss esxi much  :P

Screen shot of said VM Manager?

Also, you will miss ESXi if you ever need to configure VLANs ::).

As far as creating and editing VMs/properties, it's good and the vnc integration is nice as vsphere is becoming less and less functional.  Monitoring is a whole other can of worms, which is not currently addressed and the vlan thing is a let down too.  HOWEVER none of that really applies to me for home use and couldn't care less.

The real bummer is that the FIO cards I was using for vmdk/virtual cache disk don't work on slackware so I had to replace them with a standard SSD for my cache/domain storage.  But with that said, i like having all 8 cores accessible to unaid and my docker containers without all the io-wait associated with having a large core count VM.

Will this fix the issue of unraid not appearing in Windows 10 network?    Currently have to use IP address to browse unraid from Windows 10 machine

Possibly.  I don't have that problem on my network even before this update, but for those that do, yes, this may improve things.

thanks to JonP I was able to load the rom the custom vbios and it's working again.

however, stability issues are happening, if I run one VM it works perfectly, but everytime I run at least two of them they will often completly crash.

an example: If I run two VM and close/shutdown VM 1, VM 2 will instantly crash (not shutdown just like force stop)

or sometimes if I run a graphics application on one of the VM they will all instantly crash.

I never had this problem in 6.19, maybe it's a driver issue since I had to reinstall every graphics drivers after upgrading.

thanks to JonP I was able to load the rom the custom vbios and it's working again.

however, stability issues are happening, if I run one VM it works perfectly, but everytime I run at least two of them they will often completly crash.

an example: If I run two VM and close/shutdown VM 1, VM 2 will instantly crash (not shutdown just like force stop)

or sometimes if I run a graphics application on one of the VM they will all instantly crash.

I never had this problem in 6.19, maybe it's a driver issue since I had to reinstall every graphics drivers after upgrading.

I need more details including your system diagnostics and your hardware.

my hardware:

CPU : I7 4930K with hyperthreading on

GPU1: MSI GTX 980 TI GAMING

GPU2: MSI GTX 970 GAMING

2 HDD one for each VM.

16GB Ram DDR3 (4X4X4X4)

my first VM is running core 1 2 3 + core 7 8 9 (123 hyperthreaded) on the 980 ti (HDMI)

my second VM is running 0 4 5  + 6 10 11 (same hyperthreaded core) on the 970 (VGA)

I don't know how to do the system diagnostics (if it's something related to unraid)

I only started using it two days ago.

edit: I found out how to do it and added it to my post

thanks.

tower-diagnostics-20160406-1755.zip

my hardware:

CPU : I7 4930K with hyperthreading on

GPU1: MSI GTX 980 TI GAMING

GPU2: MSI GTX 970 GAMING

2 HDD one for each VM.

16GB Ram DDR3 (4X4X4X4)

my first VM is running core 1 2 3 + core 7 8 9 (123 hyperthreaded) on the 980 ti (HDMI)

my second VM is running 0 4 5  + 6 10 11 (same hyperthreaded core) on the 970 (VGA)

I don't know how to do the system diagnostics (if it's something related to unraid)

I only started using it two days ago.

edit: I found out how to do it and added it to my post

thanks.

What NVIDIA drivers are you using?  If it's latest, that may be why as there are some issue apparently with the latest NVIDIA drivers in general (not VM specific).

not really I've read it in a post but it was outdated so I don't know.

Goto the main tab.

Click on the flash device.

Goto Syslinux Configuration.

Find the line "menu default".

Underneath that line, and directly after the word "append", add a space, then type "iommu=nopt".

Apply the change and reboot your system.

I had an issue with beta20 (that thread is locked so I thought this was the best place to mention it) which occurred when copying files from Windows onto my unRAID server. It appears to have corrupted files as part of the process and I had to hard reboot it.

A more lengthy description and diagnostics file is in this thread, http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=48209.0

Any help appreciated.

I had an issue with beta20 (that thread is locked so I thought this was the best place to mention it) which occurred when copying files from Windows onto my unRAID server. It appears to have corrupted files as part of the process and I had to hard reboot it.

A more lengthy description and diagnostics file is in this thread, http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=48209.0

Any help appreciated.

First, upgrade to beta21. From thr changenotes and posts by LT Staff, there seemed to be some issues with samba sharing and vms in previous betas but should be fixed in beta21.

not really I've read it in a post but it was outdated so I don't know.

Goto the main tab.

Click on the flash device.

Goto Syslinux Configuration.

Find the line "menu default".

Underneath that line, and directly after the word "append", add a space, then type "iommu=nopt".

Apply the change and reboot your system.

I have had a few problems with vms crashing aswell since beta 20/21. When i am using nvidea game stream from my vm then shutting down the vm it doesnt always shut down. I try a force stop sometimes this works but other times i loose the unraid gui and have to ssh in and reboot. Sometimes all i can do is just press reset on server.

Interestingly after server crash when restarted doesnt automatically try and do a parity check.

I am using the latest nvidea drivers and i will use some earlier ones later and see if that helps.

Jonp what does the iommu=nopt actually do?