unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-beta21 Available

My ssd is format with btrfs and I just used the Dynamix SSD TRIM plugin.  This seems to have fixed my issue with file copies hanging and failing.

Yep and I am glad for the tip, but that plug-in only works for /mnt/cache and it does what I wrote.

Dynamix SSD TRIM

Dynamix SSD trim allows to create a cronjob to do regular SSD TRIM operations on the cache device(s). The command 'fstrim -v /mnt/cache' is executed at given interval.

So, if trim is a solutition for anybody with these kind of issues, there should be trim-support for ssds in the array.

But that may be more of a feature request, than a bug report.

Benefits of sata ssd's in the array are limited, I know. but a sata ssd is "to slow" to pool it with a nvme disk in the cache.

And having a parity protected ssd for read-heavy workloads (big mp3 / picture colletions) is really nice.

Then again, trim is not realy needed on read-heavy workloads... But if it prevents server-lockups, its kind of usefull :)

All my disks are xfs, maybe I'll switch the ssd to btrfs and see if anything changes.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My ssd is format with btrfs and I just used the Dynamix SSD TRIM plugin.  This seems to have fixed my issue with file copies hanging and failing.

Yep and I am glad for the tip, but that plug-in only works for /mnt/cache and it does what I wrote.

Dynamix SSD TRIM

Dynamix SSD trim allows to create a cronjob to do regular SSD TRIM operations on the cache device(s). The command 'fstrim -v /mnt/cache' is executed at given interval.

So, if trim is a solutition for anybody with these kind of issues, there should be trim-support for ssds in the array.

But that may be more of a feature request, than a bug report.

Benefits of sata ssd's in the array are limited, I know. but a sata ssd is "to slow" to pool it with a nvme disk in the cache.

And having a parity protected ssd for read-heavy workloads (big mp3 / picture colletions) is really nice.

Then again, trim is not realy needed on read-heavy workloads... But if it prevents server-lockups, its kind of usefull :)

All my disks are xfs, maybe I'll switch the ssd to btrfs and see if anything changes.

See the official manual in the wiki here: Assigning Devices to the Array and Cache

Trim breaks parity so is only allowed for cache. In fact it's not clear that SSDs won't break parity on their own even if you don't trim.

I had the same issues on every beta I've tried for 6.2 :P

I'm now steering clear of the betas for a while haha ;)

Just scans for LABEL=UNRAID and then fails to find it somehow

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0781:5571 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Fit

Could you try another Flash Drive and see if you have the same problem?  Just to see if it boots.  With two of you having virtually the same problem, I can't believe it is cockpit error!

The issue is the cruzer fit.  I have the same thing.

Here's how to manually test it.

When it scans for the UNRAID label, remove/reinstall the USB key.  You'll see it picked up right away and it'll boot normally.

That's obviously not a longer term solution, but it will allow you to boot manually.

Hmm that's really unfortunate if that's the case!

Strange though, that it works perfectly fine until 6.2 betas ;)

I guess if this is truly the fault of the USB then the guys over at LT should probably not have it as a recommended USB boot device haha

I'll try to give this a go at some point - But I'm pretty happy with 6.1.9 right now :)

I had the same issues on every beta I've tried for 6.2

Could you try another Flash Drive and see if you have the same problem?  Just to see if it boots.  With two of you having virtually the same problem, I can't believe it is cockpit error!

When it scans for the UNRAID label, remove/reinstall the USB key.  You'll see it picked up right away and it'll boot normally.

That's obviously not a longer term solution, but it will allow you to boot manually.

I guess if this is truly the fault of the USB then the guys over at LT should probably not have it as a recommended USB boot device haha

I'll try to give this a go at some point - But I'm pretty happy with 6.1.9 right now :)

Try this:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=48193.msg464526#msg464526

I had the same issues on every beta I've tried for 6.2

Try this:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=48193.msg464526#msg464526

I saw this ;)

It's in my Google Keep - I really want to get round to trying this! But I don't get much room in the way of taking my unRAID server offline haha :)

Have you tried different USB ports?

How about messing with USB mode settings in the BIOS?

Different USB ports haven't made a difference

And the only BIOS settings pertaining to USB are for USB 3.0, xhci settings etc. :)

Have you tried changing the BIOS USB settings from 3.0 to Legacy, or whatever other options are presented to you?

Have you tried different USB ports?

How about messing with USB mode settings in the BIOS?

Different USB ports haven't made a difference

And the only BIOS settings pertaining to USB are for USB 3.0, xhci settings etc. :)

Have you tried changing the BIOS USB settings from 3.0 to Legacy, or whatever other options are presented to you?

I haven't because that's unnecessary ;)

I'm already using a USB 2 port for the USB - None of my USB settings affect the USB2 ports :)

Looks to me as though the third setting down applies to USB2... May be worth a tinker?

If you're referring to the legacy USB support, if you disable it UnRAID doesn't boot (for non UEFI boot methods), and the boot option for legacy boot devices (UNRAID) will no longer be an option.

While I do not have his issue, I have played extensively with the USB options for Smart Auto/Auto/Enable/Disabled, and XHCI & EHCI handoff, and in my testing this did not cause UnRAID to not boot, just set the controller it would use (EHCI or XHCI).

Upgrading from 6.1.9 to 6.2B21 lead me to having a "boot failed" on boot (not a BIOS "no boot device") but a statement of boot failed.

I fixed this by removing drive, pop in Windows computer, re-run make_bootable.bat (as admin), finishes correctly, fixed the booting issue (this is clearly not the fix for everyone).

All this said, and all of the posts we've seen relating this, I do think there is some issue with the USB device or the way UnRAID is doing something that is causing it, and not the BIOS USB 2 options. IDK, it brings to mind the issue we had in the 6.0 beta days of ASRock boards not able to boot from a reboot command (would just loop at POST), and having to powerdown completely or it wouldn't work. JonP found some magical way to fix this, but it was odd regardless.

It did it again, I woke up this morning to a frozen VM. Once I started to look into it, froze the web gui and SSH. had to hard reboot......

I am having VM specfic issues. Basicly the VM will hang the entire system to include dockers and the webgui. I can still SSH into the system. It appears to happen most often when i run something on the VM in administrator mode. (cannot reproduce every time)

VM LOG

LC_ALL=C PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin HOME=/ QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/local/sbin/qemu -name SONARR -S -machine pc-i440fx-2.5,accel=kvm,usb=off,mem-merge=off -cpu host,hv_time,hv_relaxed,hv_vapic,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vendor_id=none -drive file=/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=0,readonly=on -drive file=/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/541f5dce-aa11-e639-d52a-0e1529ce4afc_VARS-pure-efi.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=1 -m 1024 -realtime mlock=off -smp 2,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=1 -uuid 541f5dce-aa11-e639-d52a-0e1529ce4afc -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-SONARR/monitor.sock,server,nowait -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=localtime -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7.0x7 -device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pci.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 -device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,buget/domain-SONARR/org.qemu.guest_agent.0,server,nowait -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -device usb-tablet,id=input0 -vnc 0.0.0.0:0,websocket=5700 -k en-us -device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vgamem_mb=16,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6 -msg timestamp=on
Domain id=1 is tainted: high-privileges
Domain id=1 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 0]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 1]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 2]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 3]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 4]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 5]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 6]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 7]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 8]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 9]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 12]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 13]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 14]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 15]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 16]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 17]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 23]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 24]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 0]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 1]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 2]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 3]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 4]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 5]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 6]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 7]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 8]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 9]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 12]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 13]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 14]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 15]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 16]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 17]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 23]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 24]

Server log

Apr 15 19:32:46 Icarus emhttp: nothing to sync
Apr 15 19:32:46 Icarus kernel: Ebtables v2.0 registered
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus kernel: device virbr0-nic entered promiscuous mode
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus avahi-daemon[2559]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface virbr0.IPv4 with address 192.168.122.1.
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus avahi-daemon[2559]: New relevant interface virbr0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus kernel: virbr0: port 1(virbr0-nic) entered listening state
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus kernel: virbr0: port 1(virbr0-nic) entered listening state
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus avahi-daemon[2559]: Registering new address record for 192.168.122.1 on virbr0.IPv4.
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus dnsmasq[3366]: started, version 2.75 cachesize 150
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus dnsmasq[3366]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack ipset auth no-DNSSEC loop-detect inotify
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus dnsmasq-dhcp[3366]: DHCP, IP range 192.168.122.2 -- 192.168.122.254, lease time 1h
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus dnsmasq-dhcp[3366]: DHCP, sockets bound exclusively to interface virbr0
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus dnsmasq[3366]: reading /etc/resolv.conf
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus dnsmasq[3366]: using nameserver 192.168.2.1#53
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus dnsmasq[3366]: using nameserver 8.8.8.8#53
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus dnsmasq[3366]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus dnsmasq[3366]: read /etc/hosts - 2 addresses
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus dnsmasq[3366]: read /var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq/default.addnhosts - 0 addresses
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus dnsmasq-dhcp[3366]: read /var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq/default.hostsfile
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus kernel: virbr0: port 1(virbr0-nic) entered disabled state
Apr 15 19:32:47 Icarus sshd[3134]: Accepted none for root from 192.168.2.237 port 52784 ssh2
Apr 15 19:33:18 Icarus kernel: device vethb30baa4 entered promiscuous mode
Apr 15 19:33:19 Icarus kernel: eth0: renamed from veth86924de
Apr 15 19:33:19 Icarus kernel: docker0: port 1(vethb30baa4) entered forwarding state
Apr 15 19:33:19 Icarus kernel: docker0: port 1(vethb30baa4) entered forwarding state
Apr 15 19:33:20 Icarus ntpd[1821]: Listen normally on 3 docker0 172.17.0.1:123
Apr 15 19:33:20 Icarus ntpd[1821]: new interface(s) found: waking up resolver
Apr 15 19:33:34 Icarus kernel: docker0: port 1(vethb30baa4) entered forwarding state
Apr 15 19:43:51 Icarus kernel: device vnet0 entered promiscuous mode
Apr 15 19:43:51 Icarus kernel: br0: port 3(vnet0) entered listening state
Apr 15 19:43:51 Icarus kernel: br0: port 3(vnet0) entered listening state
Apr 15 19:43:56 Icarus kernel: kvm: zapping shadow pages for mmio generation wraparound
Apr 15 19:43:56 Icarus kernel: kvm: zapping shadow pages for mmio generation wraparound
Apr 15 19:44:06 Icarus kernel: br0: port 3(vnet0) entered learning state
Apr 15 19:44:21 Icarus kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Apr 15 19:44:21 Icarus kernel: br0: port 3(vnet0) entered forwarding state

When i try to kill the VM in the webguy it will not load and hangs the webgui, when i try to kill the VM in CLI

root@Icarus:~# virsh
Welcome to virsh, the virtualization interactive terminal.

Type:  'help' for help with commands
       'quit' to quit

virsh # list
Id    Name                           State
----------------------------------------------------
1     SONARR                         running

virsh # destroy 1
error: Failed to destroy domain 1
error: Failed to terminate process 7775 with SIGKILL: Device or resource busy

virsh #

HTOP Output

http://i.imgur.com/XyOSfUA.png

Hopefully this will help get the bugs worked out. If i go slow and i am extra carefull not to stress the VM, it appears to be fine.

I think we are being largely ignored, i posted a ton of logs, or its a known problem to which they cannot replicate....

I am having the same issue, every time a vm is using network connection. The webui is frozen and docker apps dont work.

Is there a solution yet?

I think we are being largely ignored, i posted a ton of logs, or its a known problem to which they cannot replicate....

I am having the same issue, every time a vm is using network connection. The webui is frozen and docker apps dont work.

Is there a solution yet?

Or they are busy debugging and trying to fix it.

Or that, but its beta so you gotta expect bugs.

Is there a solution yet?

Or they are busy debugging and trying to fix it.

This is the first 6.2 beta I've tested on my server, but the 6.2 releases seem to have problems with ESXi and hardware passthrough.

I've got a fresh install of ESXi 6.0.0.3620759 and a fresh USB install of 6.2 Beta 21, with my Intel 82574L Ethernet card and LSI 2308 RAID card passed through. Upon booting, unRAID fails to identify the network card or appear on my network, and ifconfig returns no IP results. Wiping the USB drive and installing 6.1.9, and booting the same VM up with the same settings, the card is identified fine, and I'm able to browse to it from the network immediately

Obviously can't share any logs since I can't get into the system, but, thoughts?

Edit: Nevermind, didn't know diagnostic script was built in now. Attached zip

tower-diagnostics-20160419-1149.zip

Is there a solution yet?

I don't think any issue reported here is being ignored. LT needs to be able to reproduce the problem and only then appropriate corrections can be made.

Just be patient and don't expect every post here will be answered by LT. In NL, we have the saying no news is good news, keep that in mind  :)