Static Public IP

If you need a static public IP address you need to ask your internet service provider about your options, or get a subscription with a VPN provider that offers a public IP address. Both options will likely cost you, though.

Most people settle for a dynamic DNS service that maps a domain name to your dynamic IP and where some client software updates the IP address behind the scenes when necessary.

Most people settle for a dynamic DNS service that maps a domain name to your dynamic IP and where some client software updates the IP address behind the scenes when necessary.

This should work, but it doesn't give you a static IP address instead it gives you a domain name that points at your current address, whatever it is.

AKA instead of telling someone your at 108.111.202.55 (just made this up on the fly....) you would say instead your at HCStrikeminecraft.duckdns.com (which directs to your most up-to date address... (this is accomplished by running a script on your machine that sends an update to duckdns every 5-10 min with your most recent static ip address.

I use DuckDNS but there are a bunch of services out there.

Also note that if you've got a simi-recent / higher end router it might have dynamic DNS service options built into it....

This should work, but it doesn't give you a static IP address instead it gives you a domain name that points at your current address, whatever it is.

AKA instead of telling someone your at 108.111.202.55 (just made this up on the fly....) you would say instead your at HCStrikeminecraft.duckdns.com (which directs to your most up-to date address... (this is accomplished by running a script on your machine that sends an update to duckdns every 5-10 min with your most recent static ip address.

I use DuckDNS but there are a bunch of services out there.

Also note that if you've got a simi-recent / higher end router it might have dynamic DNS service options built into it....

I have a BTHomeHub5 router and i think it has some dynamic DNS options in it and also static ip options

I have a BTHomeHub5 router and i think it has some dynamic DNS options in it and also static ip options

Well, of course it supports static IP addresses, they are not magic or even difficult to handle. The problem for you is that you would need someone to assign you a static IP, and that is not likely happen.

Forget about a static public IP for now and explore the dynamic DNS solution first.

It could be used in the event that your router does not have a means to regularly update a dynamic DNS service.  For info, I use no-ip.com, since it is one of the options supported by my Asus RT-AC68U.  In my (limited) experience, if your router has support for dynamic DNS in some way then that will generally be simplest to set up, and it's not dependent on anything behind your router being up and running.

You have a dynamic DNS from BT.  Meaning it changes every so often.  ddclient checks your IP address (WAN IP address not the LAN one you set in Unraid) every 15 minutes and if it detects it is different it then updates the IP address that no-ip or whatever domain name provider you use has on record.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

So I sign into the software with my no-ip information and it will check for an update?

Yeah, there's a config file that needs editing but after that's setup it's rock solid.  Haven't touched mine for over a year since I set it up...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

As was mentioned before, the only way to get a true static IP is from your ISP.  The usually have blocks of IPs that can be allocated for static.  In my case it cost an extra $5 per month for that static IP. 

If you want a service to be accessible externally from your network, and you are planning on putting a domain on that static IP, you could use a dynamic DNS service as mentioned.  That just means it will change the location of your domain (A record) to what ever ip you have on your router.  Its usually only about a 15-30 min lag time. 

If you are running a minecraft server (port 25565), you can have your router forward all traffic on that port to your minecraft server. 

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_server#Port_forwarding