Windows Server as a VM

danger781

• 3 months later...

Sorry, I forgot to come back to this..  :-[

Pretty tough to answer that question when you give us next to no info about your home setup. What are your interests with respect to Windows Server 2012R2? Do you work in IT, have any interest in IT?

Fair point, my post was pretty vague. I work in IT and am looking to gain experience in some transferable skills that I could list on my CV or discuss in an interview. I'm looking for a new role at the moment and my lack of experience is killing me before I'm being given an opportunity. I work in customer support at the moment and I want to gravitate more towards a sysadmin role, or software development, software troubleshooting etc. I realise Windows Server isn't much use from a software development type role, but for sysadmin having some hands-on experience would be great.

You could always set up Active Directory and have all the machines in your house be tied to the domain :D

Excellent suggestion. Active Directory is something I have no experience in but would like to know more, as we do encounter it in work frequently but I've never needed to know much about it.

So setup Active Directory then, learn DNS, DHCP, familiarize yourself with the various roles it offers. You may even want to consider deploying it on a physical server with a CPU that supports virtualization, then you can deploy Hyper V and get some experience with that. There is plenty to learn,especially since Windows Server 2016 is around the corner and likely set to be released sometime in this or the next quarter of this year, it will introduce docker technology, similar to what we have in unRAID.

I run Server 2012 R2 with the essentials role at home to test and play with. It uses a nice user friendly GUI to do a lot of the management of client computers and users. I'd give that a try as an intermediate step to running the full blown Server 2012R2. You will still have to configure DNS and DHCP manually if you want them (highly suggest at least DNS if using Active Directory). There are some limitations to essentials but I think it's definitely worth it to try installing that role first. Makes it easy to manage users, client computer backups and updates. Plus has a great anywhere access feature that works well if you don't have a static ip. You can get an address like mysite.remotewebaccess.com that you can log into. That site configures RDP settings so you can RDP into any computer you want without opening a bunch of ports on the firewall you have to remember.

Any questions feel free to PM me if you want, I run multiple server 2012r2's at home and have reached my end and am now moving to Zentyal as my next DIY project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk