Debian 8.4 VM: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 20 on CPU

Hi team,

I just created my first VM with Debian 8.4 on unRAID 6.2.0 beta20 and I'm getting these constant kernel messages:

-Message from syslogd@debian at Apr  8 14:39:18 ...

kernel:[ 1580.252051] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

-Message from syslogd@debian at Apr  8 14:39:48 ...

kernel:[ 1610.252055] Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 20 on CPU 0.

kernel:[ 1610.252055] Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

kernel:[ 1610.252055] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

Apparently, from my searches, they don't mean anything bad, but then why are they appearing?

Are these a result of the settings I chose for the VM or what?

Here are my logs, thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20160408-1443.zip

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm seeing the same problem under unRAID 6.2 on a Debian VM newly created. I doubt we all have a hardware problem.

After a reboot and cleaning-up the syslog:

Oct 24 21:26:17 SFTP systemd[1]: Startup finished in 4.195s (kernel) + 4.839s (userspace) = 9.035s.

Oct 24 21:27:03 SFTP kernel: [  55.366799] random: nonblocking pool is initialized

Oct 24 21:33:58 SFTP kernel: [  469.621005] Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 00 on CPU 0.

pinky-diagnostics-20161024-2147.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone come up with a solution to this? Researching on Google suggests setting nmi_watchdog to 0 - but that did not help in my case.

I am a new UnRaider and had always had this issue. Thought it was bad hardware, but after much testing/swapping - all seems well, just the annoying messages that I cannot suppress and it screws up my Vim editing.

• 1 month later...

Any progress with this? I'm positive I don't have bad hardware or any type of conflicts.  I'm thinking there's something inside Debian Jessie throwing up the panic.

Can we start posting our spec's and maybe perhaps find a commonality?

Here's mine, attached. I've also uploaded the same to support.  I'm hoping someone can see the problem and pinpoint it for us to get a fix.

Thanks!

P.S. - My suspicion is that I have IPMI enabled.  I will turn it off in BIOS and report back when I take my server down for maintenance this weekend [new year]

Can't disable IPMI, maybe ACPI settings? I have OS Aware turned on, but if I disable this - I would not be able to use my 2nd CPU socket.

unraid-spec.txt

I got lucky and ran into an article from stackerflow regarding someone having the same issue on supermicro motherboards - I followed the recommended solution - find the JWD jumper (jumper for Watch Dog feature) and left it open.  By default, it was on pins 2+3, which allowed the system to create un-maskable interrupt messages when it detects applications hanging.  Jumper pins 1+2 would reset any time an application hung.  I left my jumper to only be on 1 - thus leaving it open.  Watch Dog setting in BIOS was left alone (default enable) and I am not receiving any NMI messages while working inside the VM.

I'll update if it comes back, but it has been a couple of hours - a typical occurrence is around 10-15 minutes of shell/terminal access work before I start seeing the NMI messages.

ref: http://serverfault.com/questions/695650/supermicro-bmc-watchdog-caused-reboots

Update 1/20/2017 - Didn't fix it.  Still getting these errors.  Would someone please help me :'(. Frustrating trying to setup a VM and seeing the messages overwrite my vim sessions.

• 4 weeks later...

I just ran into this myself.  I have been running multiple Windows Server VMs (with Titan-Xs and 1080s passed through) serving games and applications for SteamLink boxes throughout my home without issue (other than using Windows itself).  I decided to run a trial with SteamOS and after passing through a 1080 to the VM and booting this immediately popped up.  I had both the GFX and Audio of the 1080 passed through.  I immediately ran into this.  After passing through only the GFX this went away.  Did not debug any further as I'm running into other issues......

Update:

I take it back, it wasn't the Audio pass-through.  I had 8 of my threads (I have a dual Xeon server) out of 32 contiguously assigned to the VM.  I had also changed to split the threads between physical CPUs.  This appears to have caused this to stop.  It has been over an hour and before was seeing this a couple times a minute.

Update:

And now its back.  Nothing in my server IPMI log.....

-e-

• 2 weeks later...

I too have this issue, running a Debian 8 VM on cores 0/1 of my 6700k i7. I hadn't seen this on earlier VMs, but today I have been spending a lot more time inside the CLI - so it's possible the issue has always been there and I had missed it.

This VM is CLI only, running Unraid 6.3.0-rc9

• 1 month later...

I am also experiencing this.  I didn't have the issue on my Ubuntu vm, but I created a CentOS 7 vm and the issue starts up 10 minutes after booting up the vm.  I have tried the suggestions above and just like everybody else, they don't fix the issue.  Really hoping someone discovers the solution to this.  I have a supermicro motherboard and AMD processor.

I have had this on my Centos 7 VM (server). Had the NMI CPU syslog messages. This did not show on Ubuntu server VM. What I did is instead of CPU passthrough, i have changed it to QEMU emulated CPU in VM settings (edit). No errors showing. So not sure if it is a problem with CPU passthrough and some instability due to it. Do we blame KVM/QEMU or not or is it bug in CentOS package? i doubt we all have hardware issues.

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
stepping        : 3
microcode       : 0x1
cpu MHz         : 3392.260
cache size      : 4096 KB

Edited by vader75
9 hours ago, vader75 said:

I have had this on my Centos 7 VM (server). Had the NMI CPU syslog messages. This did not show on Ubuntu server VM. What I did is instead of CPU passthrough, i have changed it to QEMU emulated CPU in VM settings (edit). No errors showing. So not sure if it is a problem with CPU passthrough and some instability due to it. Do we blame KVM/QEMU or not or is it bug in CentOS package? i doubt we all have hardware issues.

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
stepping        : 3
microcode       : 0x1
cpu MHz         : 3392.260
cache size      : 4096 KB

This seemed to fix the issue for me as well.
For the sake of complete records: I am running Turnkey Linux Core (Debian based); https://www.turnkeylinux.org.

Follow-up: I apparently spoke too soon. The issue has returned.

I'm still reasonably certain that this isn't a hardware problem, but I have spare components I can swap in (despite the current hardware having passed every test I've run). It will be about a week or two before I'm able to get everything swapped and tested, but I will report back once done in case it matters.

Getting the same on my UnRAID Debian Linux VM...anyone have a solution?

Message from syslogd@localhost at Apr 15 11:07:46 ...
 kernel:[ 3172.589419] Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 31 on CPU 0.

kernel:[ 3172.589419] Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

kernel:[ 3172.589419] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

Message from syslogd@localhost at Apr 15 11:08:16 ...
 kernel:[ 3202.617042] Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 21 on CPU 0.

Message from syslogd@localhost at Apr 15 11:08:16 ...
 kernel:[ 3202.617047] Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

• 2 weeks later...

kernel:[  585.812028] Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 31 on CPU 0.

Message from syslogd@debian at Apr 26 16:31:11 ...
 kernel:[  585.812028] Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

Message from syslogd@debian at Apr 26 16:31:11 ...
 kernel:[  585.812028] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

Message from syslogd@debian at Apr 26 16:31:41 ...
 kernel:[  615.812030] Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 21 on CPU 0.

kernel:[  615.812030] Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

kernel:[  615.812030] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

Also affected,

Asrock X99 extreme4 // 32gb ECC // GTX 750 passthrough (other vm)

The affected vm is a debian jessie vm ( 3.16.0-4-amd64 ). The problems weren't there until I disabled ipv6 in the vm. 

sysctl.conf

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6 = 1

Not sure if related, i'll try to revert the sysctl settings and see if it goes away.

Any ideas where to start to debug errors like this?

Edited by duketwo
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...