Beets for dummies

• 2 weeks later...

It's not very well documented, I had to search for hours just to find the relevant information.

I'm going to take a couple leaps here and guess that you're more than a little experienced with Linux and ssh.  Let me know if you don't understand something and i'll make it plainer. 

First, make sure that you have beets docker module installed and running. The installation should have been done with two folder variables.  The first is the location it should import from and the second is the location it will store the imported music.

Second, ssh into your unraid install.

Third, type the following into your console(without quotes): "docker exec -i -t Beets bash"

Fourth, in the new terminal prompt type(without quotes) "beet import /foldername" where /foldername is the import folder you setup for beets to import from.

Once that starts, it will go black for a moment and then start to scan your music.  It will then ask questions about the album and artist.  Once you give it any needed information, it will take it from there.

• Like 1

It's not very well documented, I had to search for hours just to find the relevant information.

I'm going to take a couple leaps here and guess that you're more than a little experienced with Linux and ssh.  Let me know if you don't understand something and i'll make it plainer. 

First, make sure that you have beets docker module installed and running. The installation should have been done with two folder variables.  The first is the location it should import from and the second is the location it will store the imported music.

Third, type the following into your console(without quotes): "docker exec -i -t Beets bash"

Fourth, in the new terminal prompt type(without quotes) "beet import /foldername" where /foldername is the import folder you setup for beets to import from.

Once that starts, it will go black for a moment and then start to scan your music.  It will then ask questions about the album and artist.  Once you give it any needed information, it will take it from there.

Nice intro primer.  After you specify the import, will it continue to run moving forward? What happens when the container restarts?

are the 2 folder i have set up in the docker container

/mnt/user/MUSIC/Downloads/

/mnt/user/MUSIC/Complete/

i keep getting  "error: no such file or directory: /mnt/user/MUSIC/Downloads/"

also i am not to experienced in Linux and ssh. :-[

unraid_beet_settings_screenshot-.png.d25375b1b38e2c1bc2deac7780bdf15a.png

are the 2 folder i have set up in the docker container

/mnt/user/MUSIC/Downloads/

/mnt/user/MUSIC/Complete/

i keep getting  "error: no such file or directory: /mnt/user/MUSIC/Downloads/"

also i am not to experienced in Linux and ssh. :-[

In the beets config you need to reference the shares as /downloads and /music

• 2 years later...
On 4/20/2016 at 1:01 PM, Pugnacious said:

Just one minor correction that I noticed. Rather than "docker exec -i -t Beets bash" it should be "docker exec -i -t beets bash"; no capital on "beets". I played around with it for a while until i figured this out. I am not sure if this was a change with more recent updates or an overlooked error, just thought I would mention it for those that have no idea what they are doing like myself. 

41 minutes ago, justvano said:

Just one minor correction that I noticed. Rather than "docker exec -i -t Beets bash" it should be "docker exec -i -t beets bash"; no capital on "beets".

The "beets" is the name of the container, and users are able to change / capitalize that on the template as they desire

Also, in 6.5.2+ you can simply click on the icon from Dashboard to be able to enter the shell for the container

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 2:08 PM, justvano said:

Just one minor correction that I noticed. Rather than "docker exec -i -t Beets bash" it should be "docker exec -i -t beets bash"; no capital on "beets". I played around with it for a while until i figured this out. I am not sure if this was a change with more recent updates or an overlooked error, just thought I would mention it for those that have no idea what they are doing like myself.  

It's a recent change.  The old version of the docker container had a capital letter instead of a lower case one.  Thanks for pointing it out.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...