Virtualizing pfSense on unRaid

Since I am limited on space I wanted to know if I can run a NAS, firewall and router in one ATX chasis (the NZXT Source 210 Elite). I know that the onboard NIC on my motherboard will be used for unRaid, I will also add the Supermicro AOC-SGP-I4 for unRaid do use for link aggregation for faster write speeds. On the pfSense side of things, I will use the Intel I340-T4 or the StarTech ST1000SPEX42. I know that I will have to assign that nic and a USB card to the pfSense VM. A contender for the USB card is currently this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158354&cm_re=pci_e_usb_card-_-15-158-354-_-Product

Also, the on board graphics will be given to unRaid so I am including a cheap video card as the video device for pfSense which i will also have to assign to the VM.

In the end, the rig should look something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7TkxhM

The price is high however there is convenience in the fact that it is an all in one solution. Is the CPU and amount of ram a good decision. I am currently desperate for answers so can someone please help.

PS: how can I lower the total cost?

You are aware that bare metal unRaid stops all VM's when the array is stopped. This causes your pfsense router to go down.

Unless you are thinking of unRaid as guest on something like esxi ?

This has caused some who have their pfsense systems running under unRaid to shut them down.

Tom is in no rush to change how unRaid manages VM with the array stopped. This "keep the VM running" feature conflicts with some future plans he has for unRaid.

You are aware that bare metal unRaid stops all VM when the array is stopped. This causes your pfsense router to go down.

This has caused some who have their pfsense systems running under unRaid to shut them down.

Tom is in no rush to change how unRaid manages VM with the array stopped. This "keep the VM running" feature conflicts with some future plans he has for unRaid.

Yes I am aware of that however I wont be stoping the array unless I am leaving my place for an extended time period (vacation or something)

Or is there somthing I am misunderstanding?

You are aware that bare metal unRaid stops all VM when the array is stopped. This causes your pfsense router to go down.

Yes I am aware of that however I wont be stoping the array unless I am leaving my place for an extended time period (vacation or something)

It's totally up to you. It's kind of an all your eggs in one basket sort of issue, it's great when it's working, but if something goes wrong or you have to reboot unraid well now you've lost network access. If you are remote at the time, you won't be able to boot it back up until you are back physically in the same location. 

Lots of us are waiting for a satisfied implementation of pfsense under unRaid.

Go for it.

• 2 weeks later...